Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a 14month old on long haul flight

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, Good to know you were never a baby. You can slap my kids all you like, but would suggest that you are able to run faster than them Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Lizzard, I vaguely remember what it was like in the carefree pre-dependents world. Annoying, irritating, etc. ? Certainly ... but enraging ?

Anyway, in the case I mentioned above there was absolutely nothing we could do. When the seatbelt light comes on, you have to have the baby on your lap, facing away from you with a belt attached to your belt. However brilliant your parenting skills, if your baby is in pain and strapped in a fixed, non-comforting position, they are going to let everybody know about it.

I did apologise to everybody nearby, some of them even offered sympathy. Won't find many such weak minded bleeding hearts around here though, n'est-ce pas ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, I was undoubtedly a baby. However, my mother never proposed to coop me up on an aeroplane for 14 hours with a bunch of people who had no interest in putting up with a squealing infant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, Mine neither, they left me at home with relatives, selfish barstewards. Long haul is comparatively far cheaper than it was "back then" wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, sound like sensible considerate parents to me. Your Granny probably loved it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, The only consideration they had was me raising the cost of the holiday by 1/3 rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones wrote:
Quote:

... is almost certainly an act of monumental selfishness. It's not fair on the baby and it's not fair on other passengers. And unless your personal circumstances are very unusual (emigration? Family reunion?), it's not necessary. Ski closer to home this year and learn some patience. You can always go long haul when the kids are older.

Do I sound intolerant? Evil or Very Mad

yes you sound like a to$$er as well
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
actually quite a lot of posters sound like tossers in this thread
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edsilva, you sound rather intolerant of others' views there... wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always thought "tolerant" means opinions, not acts that directly affects the well being of others.

I never thought tolerance also includes keeping silence when being imposed upon.

But obviously I'm wrong. It appears I'm the "tosser" in the eye of those who wish to impose their crying baby on me!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
taking children on flights is not very hard- making the decision to go is the hardest bit,

asking for advice about it in an internet forum is perhaps not sensible as you get replies akin to 'Any answers'- rabid uncensored ravings and they might not help much!!

we flew to San Francisco for my wife's work when our youngest was about 18 months- he fed and slept the whole way.

Long transfers to and from Val D'Isere a quite tricky but really if people without kids choose to go with tour operators known for childcare - what do they expect??

When our first child was 2 I was shocked when an unmarried and childless middle-aged man (a soldier who I'm sure had serious problems with repression) arrived in the Mark Warner hotel we were in to exclaim in front of me and my 2yr old that he had forgotten how terrible it was with all the kids! A while later in the holiday I asked if Saga did ski trips these days??

Ignore the crap here- go - pack plenty of nappies and clothes- it helps if you are breast feeding- most people are nice- and helpful- but a tiny minority are whingers and nobody cares about them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones wrote:
Quote:

... is almost certainly an act of monumental selfishness. It's not fair on the baby and it's not fair on other passengers. And unless your personal circumstances are very unusual (emigration? Family reunion?), it's not necessary. Ski closer to home this year and learn some patience. You can always go long haul when the kids are older.Evil or Very Mad

I'm with you on this one Jonny.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, absolute and total toss. Being a parent who cannot control or manage their parent is selfish, but lots of kids travel quietly and happily and cause less offence than fat women who won't shut up, offensive blokes who smell of onions and urine, and half the cabin crew on most American planes.

Lizzard, well if you cannot afford first class, and are so scruffy you cannot get an upgrade, at the current cost of long-haul flights you get what you paid for NehNeh

Typical British attitude isn't it ? - hide the kids till they go to university and then complain they never come and see you any more... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
spyderjon, absolute and total toss.

I agree
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
It appears I'm the "tosser" in the eye

well in fairness nobody is talking about tossing in the eye of anybody- that would be rude!
latest report
We met a wonderful little chap( about 9 months old ) in our chalet the other christmas, we reserved judgement until we got to know him, as he was in the room next door Shocked

Soon got him inot the swing of the apres tho Toofy Grin

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing Laughing Laughing

looks like you started something there libby! ( and yes libby and I have ended up communicating in the third person via the internet plenty of times!).

Some of these have made me chuckle a lot! The pielette has already been aviating a couple of times but only short haul. I've had co-pilots who 've whinged more ( and be sick on them selves come to mention it!). We've also had the pleasure of plonking down next to an idiot who barged us out of the way when trying to get all the baby paraphenalia onto the plane at geneva Twisted Evil . Of course routinely, all the bickering about who sits where is just for the walk on freight down the back!

I have to admit that since the arrival of little 'un one of the most stressful things for me has been trying to maintain a 'normal' life with her in tow and worrying about what others think/trying to make sure she's unobtrusive. But actually I have been pleasently surprised. We now manage friday night curries occaisionally with a 'blacked-out' pram and have even managed to swing the golf bats.

Still I think the basic solution is a large gin (and something strong for me!) and hope she sleeps.. thats if we cant find anything in europe for the 10 days we want to travel...

Thats a lot of people now hopeing our european arrangements go well. (and yes - we'll be driving snowHead Laughing ).
snow conditions
edsilva wrote:
abc wrote:
It appears I'm the "tosser" in the eye

well in fairness nobody is talking about tossing in the eye of anybody- that would be rude!

But imposing crying baby on others are not (rude), obviously.
snow conditions
yep
snow report
When a crying baby wants something. 99% of mums (or dads!) will provide that if at all possible. But there are obviously times (take off, landing) when that is made difficult.

We've flown long and short haul with both sons, and never had an issue - at least not when they could be described as "babies". For every crying baby that you have noticed, how many have you not noticed??

I fly a lot for work: just about every week at the moment, long and short haul. And in the last six months, I've seen quite a few babies - you tend to notice them when you've one of your own - but none have been a noisance at all.

If you can't handle your fellow passengers: whatever their age, then answer is in your hands: DON'T FLY (or use trains, buses, ferries ...).
snow report
RobW, absolutely.

Things which have made recent flights more difficult for me - idiots who move the seat in front of me back and forwards repeatedly, very fat people, people who pee all over the floor in the toilets, people who decide to stand up and open overhead lockers during turbulence, smelly adults, and seat back entertainment systems on the blink.

Kids you can almost always tune out (unless they are yours) with an MP3 player.
snow conditions
Quote:

if you cannot afford first class, and are so scruffy you cannot get an upgrade,

So rich people get to travel in peace, and the rest of us have to put up with rude parents. Charming.
ski holidays
Parents and children have every right to travel where they wish.
ski holidays
Lizzard, no one would should have to put up with rude parents or rude unaccompanied fat/smelly/noisy/inconsiderate adults either. The knee-jerk demonising of all parents who travel with small children on this thread is pathetic and prejudiced. You - with your rather trenchant combative posting style - should be able to recognise when someone is replying to you in the same fashion.
latest report
Thankfully, by experience, I know that some of the views expressed here are really just a small minority...
Most people do realise the world does not revolve round their little limited bubble and small comforts..and that other people also have a right to live and enjoy life..
I can read what those people are "saying" here....but all I can really "hear" from them is "me me me me me and me..."
snow conditions
Kruisler, I am guessing from your previous post you mean that those of us who have travelled with well-behaved kids are the selfish ones, rather than those -perhaps like you? - who want children to be hidden away so that they do not intrude on their own selfish "bubble".

But your post could be read either way if it weren't for your previous post... wink
snow report
stoatsbrother,

Very Happy ..did not do a very good job of my posts then! hey ho...happens a lot in forums like these..

First post was (very) sarcastic...Last one (very) serious about the people who do not want kids close to them in case their litlle world gets somewhat slightly disturbed...
I have 2 lovely little girls.. which have been on numerous flights since I am not from the UK. We have had our stressful moments, especially at take-off and landing as others have said, but on the whole we keep our girls in check. Most passengers actually embrace having toddlers/babies around and can't help but play with them...
As this thread shows, there are the odd pathetic whingers... rolling eyes But I'll be damned if I am going to deprive my girls and myself from all the benefits of seeing the world around them and seeing the family just because someone think I am being selfish ( the cheek of that!!) by putting them (and my kids supposedly) into an uncomfortable position for a few minutes of their life...

Some people just do not see past their nose..
snow report
Kruisler, sorry - my mistake - failed to spot the irony - good to see another recruit to the forces of enlightenment!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
When I came back from Venice last March I actively looked for the man who had pushed me at the bottom of the plane steps when I got on - and to his horror plonked myself + five month old child next to him. Perhaps next time he's pushing people around he'll think twice!

Laughing Laughing Laughing good for you!
ski holidays
abc wrote:
I always thought "tolerant" means opinions, not acts that directly affects the well being of others.

I never thought tolerance also includes keeping silence when being imposed upon.

But obviously I'm wrong. It appears I'm the "tosser" in the eye of those who wish to impose their crying baby on me!

There's been a couple of people on here expressing a desire to "slap" cyring children. Having an opinion is one thing, voicing your desire to "slap"other people's children on a public forum is quite another.

Children, as human being's (albeit small and noisy) have as much right to an opinion, and to enjoy a holiday as anyone else! Thousands of children fly every day un-noticed. Sometimes they get upset, sometimes adults behave badly...we all have to put up with things we don't like sometimes. It's not for long! Chill out, you'll find it annoys you far less if you don't get so stressed and angry about it!
latest report
More often than not parents do have a choice. Granted, for emmigration, family illness etc, long haul travel with young kids is unavoidable.
Travelling long haul with screaming sprogs in tow for holidays is just selfish bloody-mindedness. Who's getting any pleasure out of the experience?
Certainly the kids themselves do not. Why not restrict yourself for a few years to only travelling within Europe?

Seems to me that people are willing to make many, many sacrifices in their lives in order to procreate. Why can they not do everyone else the decency of making one more, which will save them a world of grief anyway, and stay off long-haul flights?

Have often thought that there's a gap in the market for this. So many people list it as a top complaint of travelling (say what you like but I am not alone in this opinion)... why don't airlines launch some child-free flights? Obviously would only be viable on major routes, but I would certainly be willing to pay a small premium to avoid spending 10 hrs in a creche. Then all you more thoughful, understanding parental types can go on the kids flight and leave us to it - I wonder how many of you would, given that choice???
snow conditions
oh8777, I would be happy to be on such a flight - but I suspect carriers have looked at this and think it is a non-starter.

Of course - if you live in the UK - these little sprogs are going to be paying for your pension and healthcare because of the way the UK system is funded. So now might be a good time to accord them a little respect, and not to make the same mistake as other posters and lump all parents with kids in together. Adults can be just as much of a nuisance but I don't see you or Lizzard having a go at them... As I said - typical British attitude - hide the kids, don't have them in restaurants, don't let them intrude or be part of society, and then wonder why they end up rude feckless binge-drinking teenage mums...

welcome to snowHeads by the way! Twisted Evil
snow report
oh8777, Welcome to SnowHeads. snowHead

I am presuming that those objecting to kids flying would also ban adults with "anti-social" disabilities. rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

why don't airlines launch some child-free flights?

Because you're the deluded one when you say:
Quote:

So many people list it as a top complaint of travelling

As per what stoatsbrother said: if the market was there, the airlines would be there in a flash... Like the ones that regularly try to do business class flights only... and invariably go bust!
The few people sharing your views here are certainly loud but in the real world (that thing outside, passed your front door..) a very small percentage of people do share your views..
ski holidays
I vote for banning adults who don't like kids.
latest report
stoatsbrother, thanks for the welcome!

I am in the UK and paying for my own pension, and healthcare - but that's another can of worms. Besides, they don't *need* to have been to Australia before the age of 10 to be able to have a job and be a functioning member of society!! Chances are they won't even remember the trip.

I'd take umbrage at passengers of any age who cause a racket and are discourteous, I wouldn't discriminate against kids only. It's just that with kids, it is not their fault but that of the person who decided to have them there.

I'm not trying to suggest they shouldn't be part of society at all. I'm just saying that the confines of an inescapable metal tube for 10+ hrs, in close proximity to dozens of strangers, is not the best showcase for them! A shorthaul flight I have no issue with..
latest report
oh8777, welcome to Snowheads but I've got to say that it seems an odd way to introduce yourself by bascially calling a lot of the people on here selfish and bloody minded!!!
snow report
oh8777, unless you have lifeelong top-level private health care - if your are a UK citizen you should know that your NI/Tax goes to pay current recipients, not into a fund to pay for your future. This has been the way it has been since the inception of the full NHS in 1948.

So - if you are an ordinary UK citizen, you will be dependent on these sprogs in the future. why do you think people get so concerned about demographic changes and changes in retirement age are being planned?
snow conditions
Stoatsbrother - I did know that, it's precisely why I don't expect to get a govt pension/much healthcare in future and anticipate paying for my own. But like I say, it's not like these kids are going to turn out to be criminals and layabouts if they don't get enough time on an aeroplane!!

Thanks nightshift - I am nice really it's just that babies on planes is a topic that makes me crazy. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

if your are a UK citizen you should know that your NI/Tax goes to pay current recipients,

I was about to say that!

That is the basic principle of the NHS ( and most social securities in the world)... As said, hence the problem of the increasing percentage of pensioners vs. active population causing a reduction of pension/NHS money per individual because there aren't enough "youngsters" to pay for it...

You're not paying for your pension, you are paying someone else's..and those annoying babies on your flights will one day pay for your pension...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy