Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POLL - Who wears helmets and when?

What do you wear on your head whilst skiing/boarding?
Wouldn't catch me on the slopes without a helmet
63%
 63%  [ 218 ]
I'll wear one when the going gets tough or I need to set an example, but not all the time
15%
 15%  [ 53 ]
Think of me as thix (thixotrophic that is!!). Gel based protection here (or similar)
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Beany there and done it - can't beat a warm woolly beany
11%
 11%  [ 40 ]
Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements - that's me!
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
I'm thinking about it (while I still have a brain)
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 345
Total Votes : 345

Poster: A snowHead
I have a large head. I find that no protection fits.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman, surely that post was worthy of wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
head circumference only 52cm, but will look out for it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, just checked, the xs is a 53-55, if you backcomb your hair within an inch of its life and it will fit fine Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DebbiDoesSnow, cheers. I am looking for a small ladies K2. Hubby has a one which is only slightly too big (he has small head too)., so I figure the ladies one might fit me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, good luck, it was a mare finding one that fitted me well. The BF has the hugest head ever and walked the entire lenght of LDA looking for one. There was only one brand (Scott) that rose to the challenge and did an XXL which fitted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, these are small

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BLACK-SKI-SNOWBOARDING-HELMET-Small-52-54CMS_W0QQitemZ300165976505QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36260QQcmdZViewItem

and the same style as the adult sizes.

In fact the guys ebay shop is worth a visit - all sorts of bits and bobs for skiing. And because his wife shares the outlet an assortment of sexy stockings Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I wouldn't buy a helmet off ebay. I would not know if the helmet fitted me or not before I ordered it. If it doesn't fit it is more dangerous than not wearing one at all. Perhaps I might get some sexy stockings for Valentines Day though.................
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did anyone see the 'New' Ski Sunday the other day? Just think of that guy who cracked his nut and slithered unconciously through the finish line! His helmet broke in two. Imagine if he'd not been wearing a helmet. Ouch.

Never worn a helmet, but want to take my family skiing with me and need to set an example. I guess it's like cycling- after a while you get used to it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rob - pages and pages back - I disagree, but note that you talk some sense from a position of quite some experience.

I hereby vow to not to get involved in lid threads again. It's all far too fraught.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdaddy, from the clip I seen of it I thought his helmet fell off, as opposed to 'broke in two'? (I assume you're talking about
Scott Macartney's crash)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark S, you're right- I'm wrong. I just trusted the commentary, when they said it broke in two.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mark_s, snowdaddy, I know I have to watch my kids like a hawk to make sure they keep thier chin strap under the chin, it slightly annoys them so they are prone to pulling it up and chewing Confused on the strap so if they fell it would come of.

I noticed in the first epsiode of Ski Sunday Heston Bloomingwhatshisname was wearing a helemt but the chin strap was not done up. I suppose it would help on the intial impact but after that.........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update on stroppy 15-year old; He surfed the net and found Bern snowboard helmets and said he'd wear a helmet if he could have one of those. - so we went to Boardwise after school today and bought one - split the price between us. He looks ludicrous - like a Nazi motorbike rider - but he's content and we are speaking again (he even said thank you!)

Ho hum - style comes above safety or keeping in with the parents - but what do you expect at 15. . . .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SuburbanSkier, He said thank you Confused Shocked Check you credit card statement, me thinks he got your pin at the counter Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I notice only 21% of us claim not to wear a helmet but the majority on the slopes don't wear one. Are we really that different or are unlidded people on here not taking part (perhaps because they have been branded as stupid)?
latest report
snowball, judging by last year's MSB and EOSB snowheads have a higher percentage wearing helmets than the general skiing population. But the other factor is that helmet threads here are a sort of bonding mutual back-slapping thing for the helmet-wearing sH fraternity. Odd that they feel the need to do it so often - but better than the other sH bonding alternative, bashing the SCGB, IMV - though I suppose one of those will pop up again soon.
snow report
I have hummed and hahhed for some years about whether to get a helmet - although the only "arguments" against it that I could think of were a) of all the bits of my body that I have battered and broken whilst skiing I've never hurt my head (exception being the chair lift bar dropper tossers rolling eyes ) b) it's another lumpy item to get in your baggage, although not heavy c) very few of my companions on off-piste trips have worn them, and never the guides (not sure what that says about me) d) might be hot, uncomfortable, restricting etc.

In Switzerland 3 weeks ago I did a classic "back flip" head down the hill fall with the back of my head impacting on the fairly firm snow. Not injured but neck a bit sore for a day or two - but if that had been a rock Shocked got me thinking again.

So last week in Austria the first day was wiped out due to high winds and pouring rain - nothing for it but a shopping trip Laughing I took the plunge and bought a helmet, which I wore for the rest of the week. I found it was comfortable and did not seem to restrict my vision or hearing in any noticeable way. It did save me from a couple of minor chair lift knocks wink but my only fall of the week did not involve the head so can't report on that aspect Toofy Grin

In contrast to snowball's observation above I had the impression that most folk on the slopes where we were (the skiwelt area) had helmets.
So far for me then no severe downsides. Will see how hot it feels in April perhaps Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-02-08 11:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Yoda wrote:
...............and never the guides.........

Neither Manu (our guide) nor our instructor easiski wore a helmet last week. Manu did remark that the non-helmet wearer should take extra care through the trees, though.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
I notice only 21% of us claim not to wear a helmet but the majority on the slopes don't wear one. Are we really that different or are unlidded people on here not taking part (perhaps because they have been branded as stupid)?

There are quite a few of us who haven't voted because we haven't worn a helmet up to now, but none of the poll options cover the reasons, or te fact taht we are "thinking about it".
latest report
alex_heney, they do now wink
snow conditions
SuburbanSkier, Cool, I wear one of those Bern helmets and I'm the wrong side of 50!
latest report
Yoda, Thanks. I've now voted.
latest report
Yoda, Thanks for adding that in. Your new helmet looks v.smart too snowHead
ski holidays
I wear two now..safety first

snow conditions
Thought about buying one for some while, took the plunge (no pun intended) last week. So glad I did, 4days later took a fall and hit my head so hard the helmet cracked. All I had was a slight headache.
snow report
loobylou, welcome to snowHead 's - sounds like we're lucky to see you here rolling eyes
snow conditions
loobylou, welcome to snowHead s and congratulations on your perspicacity.

Yoda, your head protected from the forces of danger now is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow conditions
Yoda, SQUADRON LEADER PILOT yoda. Respect.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Flip Crawford2, have I got the wrong person? Embarassed

Yep Laughing
snow conditions
Flip Crawford2, took you a while wink
snow report
Zombie thread alert.... But also took the time to vote Very Happy

I always wear a helmet when skiing, I wear one when I'm mountain biking, horse riding or motorcycling also.

It does not make me ski any better or faster and it doesn't restrict my vision, or rather no more than my ski goggles do, and I can still hear. However, I fully accept that it is my decision to wear one and I believe it's a personal choice.

Mrs Juggler has been skiing for years and has never worn a helmet and probably never will, I love her to bits and I worry about her, but it's her choice so I don't try to preach no matter how worried I get.
ski holidays
I tried wearing a helmet for the first time this year, managed about 2 runs before it was taken off and tied to my back pack, each to their own but not for me, I found wearing a helmet whilst skiing like,
Having sex, using an inner tube as a condom
watching a good movie through scratched glasses
listening to an orchestra wearing ear plugs
riding a bike with flat tyres

Yes, there were times when I felt vulnerable and a few times when my head hit the deck and I was thankful that it was just snow but I really really hate wearing hats
snow report
I'd be interested in running the same poll in a new thread and see if there's any significant difference in the results.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
I wear mine all the time, but wouldn't say I need it all the time.

I just prefer it to a hat tbh.

I wear mine all the time whilst skiing, but other than keeping my head/ears warm, I havn't needed it yet and hopefully never will.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
thefatcontroller,
It seems rather unlikely although not impossible that someone will ski into my head. I don't wear a helmet when walking the streets or crossing the road with all the poor drivers though either.

Ditto. I don't wear a helmet to play rugby in and I am a lot more likely to hit my head off someone else (or the ground) playing that than if I am skiing. If someone flew into me on the slopes I think my ribs/back/neck would be under the greatest risk
ski holidays
Andybag wrote:
T Bar wrote:
thefatcontroller,
It seems rather unlikely although not impossible that someone will ski into my head. I don't wear a helmet when walking the streets or crossing the road with all the poor drivers though either.

Ditto. I don't wear a helmet to play rugby in and I am a lot more likely to hit my head off someone else (or the ground) playing that than if I am skiing. If someone flew into me on the slopes I think my ribs/back/neck would be under the greatest risk

but some rugby players do and some road users do (such as cyclists) its their choice the same as its yours not to.
snow conditions
I have a helmet. If I didn't wear it I'd have to carry it. That'd be a nuisance.
And to keep my head warm I'd have to have a beanie. And they look stupid and the people who wear them look thick and unappealing. So i wear my helmet. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Cripes, the arguments don't just go round and round, they creep from thread to thread, and circulate on each one. How is it possible for so many people to say so many of the same things so many times?

Human nature.

And possibly too many head knocks NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy