Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stop whinging & just take less!

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon, i am with you on this, twenty kilos is a lot of kit !!!!! and i have never had my ski bag wieghed on any flight including ba, ej , ryan air, bmi, thompson fly, etc, so i take all my ski clothing etc in my ski bag( except goggles)
and all the clothes for a week for me and my other half in one suitcase, and have never had to resort to carrying boots and wearing my ski jacket,
plus the left you take the less you have to worry abut losing on the way there or back Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of our group did a very odd thing and washed his smalls..and things before returning from Whistler last year. Not such a good idea when he found the dryer was broken and he was clobbered with a hefty excess on his return - that included the extra wieght of his waterlogged smalls. It's true, we have witnesses !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that we had a guy in our chalet who had travelled alone that had a no.2 shaved haircut & he'd brought a friggin' hairdryer with him!

clever man - great for drying out socks and other wet items wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulmags, perhaps there was a particular reason his smalls needed a wash.

Had he been down a trecharous rock and roll style run on the last day? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski, Spyderjon, Unconvinced - just packed for Canada for 9 days. Including weights of bags, 23kg for main bag, 10kg for hand luggage and skis will have to have a few things packed with them. I must have very heavy bags. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I must have very heavy bags.

It's entirely possible.

That's why I take as small a bag as I can fit my gear in. The less room, the less I take. Result: the less the (smaller) bag weights too. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, Is that with or without a hairdryer?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Laughing Laughing If you've seen his shirts, you'd know the answer to that question Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My bag is heavy! It's one of those Dakine zip round in half sturdy holdalls on wheels, that also take boots. But the whole frame to it is sturdy & pretty heavy. Even so I normally weigh in about 18 kg including boots, the OH about 23 Shocked He blames it on his heavy boots....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
I know weight will not be a problem, but am I going to be laughed off the platform if I turn up with a large wheeled suitcase? It's the only large bag with wheels that I own and I need to get across London and Paris.

A hard suitcase gives great protection to the contents but the couple we have weigh twice the amount of the equivalent volume holdalls we have.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
I know weight will not be a problem, but am I going to be laughed off the platform if I turn up with a large wheeled suitcase? It's the only large bag with wheels that I own and I need to get across London and Paris.

why would you be laughed off the platform for using convenient luggage? You will be hard pressed carrying a holdall and skis. I always use a wheelie samsonite - that's all I've got. never been a problem anywhere in the world - on a train, up a mountain, on a boat, in a seaplane. always under weight as well.

I assume you do have a bag for your skis?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, judging from that other thread it sounds like you carry most of your luggage around on your back while you're skiing wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I've stayed in chalets where it would have been a challenge to find anywhere to stow a big suitcase. When we had to cross Paris with ski gear we used rucksacks. If I have to carry significant amounts of weight I find a rucksack the only really practicable way. Very helpful to shove yourself onto a metro train. We had six hours to kill but, at the time, one of my friends was the British Ambassador in Paris so we went to the Residence for tea.... their guests didn't usually turn up with rucksacks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, wow 10kg hand luggage, are you taking your p.c. in there Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, I've got a nylon bag for the skis with a strap/handle in the middle that lets me sling it over one shoulder, but the bottoms don't have much clearance from the ground (stairs are awkward unless you go backwards etc.) I was kind of thinking large hard bodied suitcase with wheels in one hand (boots, helmet, clothes etc. inside), skis on one shoulder and if necessary I've got a large rucksack to go on my back over both shoulders and around my waist but its only a cheap one that I got for DH to carry things to the beach with and I don't know that it would be up to the trip. I've got a small rucksack to take out for the day with me with drinks and choccy in, but I'll pack this for the trip.
ski holidays
pam w, no problem to store a case at L'oxalys.

Megamum, you could try putting the skis on your shoulder the other way to go up stairs, that is in front of you instead of behind you if you see what I mean (I just thought of that - no idea if it would work)
latest report
holidayloverxx, worth a thought at least, either that or stick em on my shoulder and decapitate half the train queue Laughing Laughing Mind you I have just had a thought about the wheely case - some of the underground trains have horrendously long steep escalators Skullie (not keen on them generally - fell from top to bottom of the old Kings Cross one when I was about 5 years old, I'll ride them now, but I'm never happy until I'm off them) - a wheely case won't be an easy thing on them. Does anyone that uses them regularly know if underground stations have lifts that you can use if you have lots of luggage?
latest report
Neilski, nope just the stuff I cannot get into the main bag under the limit... And I have not much more than spyderjon.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, NehNeh
snow report
Megamum, yes I use wheelie case regularly on escalator. St pancras has a lift but liverpool st doesn't (assume you come in there). case is easy it just tilts as the escalator steps appear. You could get the bus instead.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, or a Taxi
snow report
Easyjet Luton never weighed our skibag last year when I travelled with a friend and there were two pairs in the bag so it was well over the limit.
latest report
I wear my ski clothes and boots, take no change of underwear, leave my skis and board at the destination, carry my helmet, goggles and gloves. I don't see what the problem is?

Oh yeah that's right I only live 30 minutes from the hill snowHead
snow report
solarfish, large slap heading in your direction wink

Jealous

Mind you I only live 20 mins from MK Xscape - not the same though Crying or Very sad
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
holidayloverxx, or a Taxi

economy measure.
snow report
spyderjon, Agreed! Don't have skis but do have boots and can comfortably come in under 15kg ryanair allowance including the boots. I take what I NEED and pack for likely conditions, not every eventuality (unless we drive - Boris/boredsurfin have got that one right!). It's a rare resort that doesn't have any shops!
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
spyderjon,

That's with Easyjet though and their 20kg allowance...
About about Ryanair and their 15 kg.... Toofy Grin

I'll get me coat...

you do get 10kg hand luggage
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
They're not the best thing to take up a mountain, no. But a wheeled suitcase beats a holdall type thing hands down given that 80% of the time that you spend with it is in the airport.

I once stayed in a chalet in some trees a couple of hundred metres up a red piste. A tracked vehicle took our (unwheeled) cases up when we arrived. However I left early to transfer to another resort and skied down with a suitcase in each hand. It was actually very easy (Just keep the upper body (and bags) still) but drew lots of astonished stares.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm waiting for airlines to alter baggage allowances according to peoples body weight! Twisted Evil

Double wammy for the fatties out there, because their clothes must be bigger and therefore heavier in the first place - I reckon 30% of people I see on planes will be in a negative luggage weight situation Laughing whereas I would be allowed an extra 50kg to get all my required beer in my case Very Happy
ski holidays
JP,
Quote:

Got my tickets today and just looked at the blurb that came with them. They give you a 6kg allowance for my pre-booked skis (cost £15). Just weighed them with poles but without my sport tube, and they weigh, , 6.2kg. With the sport tube just shy of 10kg. I think a phone call tomorrow is on the cards.

Just phoned Inghams and was told that the 6kg is a guide only and providing that there is only one pair of skis and poles in the case there would not be any excess charge. Very Happy

I was also told that airlines are now looking out for people who stuff ski & board bags with clothes etc and charging them extra. Be warned.
ski holidays
hand luggage should be banned unless you dont check anything into the hold at all.. so those day trippers and travelling light people can get off the plane and zoom off... watching people jump up as soon as the plane stops faffing around with 10 kilo! bags of pointless tosh is so amusing its annoying.. especially if your in the middle of the plane and you know your going nowhere for at least 10 to 15 minutes
snow conditions
spyderjon, well done son - spot on. Never quite understood the whingeing, if you really must take the kitchen sink pay the excess or fly with a proper airline like BA.

Key change all sensible airlines should make though is to weigh luggage and traveller together, don't see why some fat git should get the same luggage allowance as me.
ski holidays
The changes in airline rules are a pain. The last time I had to cross London in the rush hour, and get a train out to Stansted, going straight from work, I carried my ski bag over one shoulder and my boot bag over the other. Everything I needed was in one or the other, with passport, money, credit cards in my zipped jacket pocket. Working clothes left in the office. No helmet in those days! Not sure whether the airlines would accept that luggage configuration these days.
snow conditions
JP wrote:
JP,
Quote:

Got my tickets today and just looked at the blurb that came with them. They give you a 6kg allowance for my pre-booked skis (cost £15). Just weighed them with poles but without my sport tube, and they weigh, , 6.2kg. With the sport tube just shy of 10kg. I think a phone call tomorrow is on the cards.

Just phoned Inghams and was told that the 6kg is a guide only and providing that there is only one pair of skis and poles in the case there would not be any excess charge. Very Happy

I was also told that airlines are now looking out for people who stuff ski & board bags with clothes etc and charging them extra. Be warned.

Seeing as you get booger all comp from an airline if they damage your skis everyone I know wraps clothes round them for protection and padding.
ski holidays
Damn, 6kg with Neilson?! I'm sure my Salomon 192s wheigh more than that, I'd better get a weighing later on!!
snow report
HoundDog, my board with my boots in it weighs 10 kilos i think.. your boots made of lead?
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, I think snowboard boots are usually lighter than ski boots.
snow conditions
alex_heney, boots and the board.. Shocked
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
HoundDog, my board with my boots in it weighs 10 kilos i think.. your boots made of lead?

LOL that's not including my boots, I'll weigh my skis later, but I think they're pretty heavy.
snow conditions
If anyone is flying to Innsbruck from Southampton with Austrian Airways then be aware that your allowance is 18kg instead of the usual 20kg.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy