Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which grit diamond for basic tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of getting a couple of diamond files to help with edge tuning. I only have a alu-oxide stone at the moment.
Firstly, is the stone enough? I think I'd get a sharper edge with a diamond without taking too much material.
Secondly, if I go with the diamonds wat grits should I get?
Just recreational here Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, depends how regular you're gonna use it/them. The key is a little & often - correction, a little & very often. Burrs & stone dings must first be removed with your alu-oxide stone otherwise they'll screw up your metal file & diamond files.

The usual choice on the market is 100, 200, 400, 600 & 1500grits. Remember the smoother the edge the less likely it is that it will burr over as there aren't any weak peaks on the edge so even though your not racing the more grits you have the better the edge will last. More grits also means less wear to individual stones so they last longer.

Assuming that you have a decent medium/smooth cut metal file (not a mega coarse milled file or a coarse bstard file as these should only be used for intitial edge setting cuts) for occasional sharpening then a 200 would be a good single choice. A twin combo would be a 200 & 600. A triple combo would be a 100, 200 & 600. I offer a price deal that means if you're thinking of four you virtually get the fifth for free.

There's a wide range of qualities of diamond files on the market ranging from a couple of quid each to many times that. Like any other tool you get what you pay for it terms of quality, accuracy & durability. The quality ones (Moonflex) are very stiff & flat for accuracy of cut & very durable & are the best on the market IMO. DMT are junk with S&R charging waaay more than I charge for the Moonflex's for a mid range product. The low end ones aren't stiff, flat or durable but they are very cheap at just a few quid it won't break the bank replacing them regularly.

Whatever your choice make sure you use it wet or your stone won't last at all & you won't get a smooth cut. Do not use an oil based cutting fluid as it gets in to the bases so instead use water, snow or dunk it in ya mates beer. Even better use a pucka alcohol/water based diamond cutting fluid which you also use . Varying the position of the file in the guide will also reduce isolated wear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy