Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
GordonFreeman, 'generally' the snow allows enough air through to allow you to carry on breathing ( if the weight of snow doesn't smother you, and your mouth hasn't filled up with snow that is ). The problem is that after a certain period of time the moisture from your breath freezes on the snow and forms a barrier through which the air can no longer pass. After that point you start to suffocate fairly rapidly! The usual rule is that the first fifteen minutes are quite survivable, and your chances start to go down rapidly after that. Anything beyond half an hour and you are unlikely to get out of there alive. Not a great way to go, which is why I use ABS system where
Quote:
of 151documented cases in which the airbag was deployed, 149 people have survived.
!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markyb, delivery was quick. About 4 days or so I think.

Paid around £40 tax iirc. It came to under £200 all in for the transceiver, shovel and probe. Although it was in a sale, or something. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what about without? They seem to say you can breath in an airpocket but how do you form that when falling ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get an avi course under your belt, they will have the answers (not always the ones you want to hear) or an experienced competent guide/techer who can drill you on the basics on the hoof.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vitals Data: If the victim and searcher are both using Pulse transceivers (which have been configured for use in the same region, see below), the searching transceiver will report if the victim is alive by sensing tiny movement (hence the name Pulse). With multiple burials, a small heart is displayed next to victims who have any movement (e.g., breathing or arterial pulses) which can presumably be used to triage which victim to locate first.

Stupid question but who do you save first. The non breathing one might need attention first but then you don't know why they're not breathing if buried, you might waste your time when the others could be saved.
In an above ground accident you are taught to always go to the people who are not moving as anyone crying out in pain is still alive and can be looked at later.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having just started to venturing off-piste myself, reading through this tread raises the question, do people really carry the "holy trinity" with them at all times.

I ski with my fiancee and 2 other couples, the girls often have morning/afternoons cruising blues and the boys have a lesson (which involves off piste with the instructor
unusually not far from the marked pistes), or we play in the trees just of the edge of a run. We are out all day from lift open to lift close, meeting up all the time and have lunch somewhere on the mountain.

If at the start of the day we had to kit up and ski blues with the girls for 2/3 hours we would be in the minority, I dont see many people on piste with shovels on there back!

Its a conflict of interest I guess, it does concern me as, like the advice here in this thread I have started researching avalanche safety (excellent course toured the UK from SCGB few months ago).

I am also planning on going on the ESF "SKI discovery" in Meribel when I go in feb. This is a day away from the marked runs and I assume "kit" is provided in the price. Does
anyone have any experience of this ?

Regards

Jamie
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
taemo, at 67 Euro the ski discovery day always looked attractive to me as well. please let us know if it includes avi gear hire for the day...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your in a game of Russian Roulette, with avi gear 3 bullets in the gun without 4. It still a game you would be crazy to play.
Tracker v Pluse etc.......... alter the odds by small fractions of a bullet it really isn't the issue.
As I said above if you want to avoid being in the game, dont get buried in the first place, 95% of your effort should go into that.
Do a course.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, It is all fine and well to say do a course but dont you still need equipment??... when you do this course do you not wear avi kit?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, most courses provide loan equipment, BUT its not just about equipment its about knowledge and judgment.
On a level 3 day the detailed avalanche forecast might tell you that the risky slopes are south facing over 35 deg above 2500m if when you strap on your avi gear you dont know that and/or act on it, you are still in the game just with one less bullet.
Yes you need the kit and know how to use it but if it makes you even a little bit bolder then you you can be actually worse off!
Some species of mountain animal are often found dead in avalanche debris, some never, the reason; different behavior, not different equipment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman wrote:
Stupid question but who do you save first. The non breathing one might need attention first but then you don't know why they're not breathing if buried, you might waste your time when the others could be saved.
In an above ground accident you are taught to always go to the people who are not moving as anyone crying out in pain is still alive and can be looked at later.

Actually that's not quite true.

In this case go to the one that's moving. There is a high probability that the ones who aren't moving are dead from avalanche trauma, and the ones who are moving have a time limit for survival. It'll likely take fifteen minutes at least to find them and dig them out, so you've not got the time to check the one who's not moving.

In above ground accidents, triage suggests that you go to the ones' who are quiet but still moving slightly (breathing), unless you have adequate resources to treat all casualties. The ones who are still (not breathing) are (presumed) dead, and if you have many casualties to deal with, your first aid is better spent on the more seriously injured but still alive cases.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
taemo wrote:
Having just started to venturing off-piste myself, reading through this tread raises the question, do people really carry the "holy trinity" with them at all times.

For me it depends.

I normally have a beacon at least in my pack even if I'm skiing in resort and not going off piste. I always wear a beacon off piste in resort.

I don't always bother when touring. It depends a lot on the conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dont always carry the holy trinity and will be contentious for a moment....

if i am in resort but planning to be on piste i rarely wear a backpack. I will however stick a beacon in my trouser pocket and feel that is adequate if i am within sight of the pistes. Should I see a nice patch of untracked snow on the sides i will ski it... or if just dipping in and out between pistes I feel a beacon only is still better than nothing.

You could argue this is a dumb idea and gives a false sense of security but i recon i would rather have it on me than sitting in the chalet with my backpack/shovel/probe..

jbob, i dont disagree with your logic but more the reality of the situation with respect to most occasional off piste skiers... if someone is wearing a transceiver they dont know how to operate they are still better off IMO should they get hit and buried...

i would advocate to someone who may be starting skiing off piste to 1) go and rent a beacon and first read the manual and know how to operate it. 2) buy your own and practice with it in a park or in the "avalanche zones" springing up. 3) read up on avalanches and mountain safety 4) book onto a course. 5) practice practic practice....

BUT, Not everyone will be able to afford the time/money to do a course and having some limited protection is better than none...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I think we agree- but my order would be,

3. Free davidof's www.pistehors.com/ a great place to start
4. 10€ henry's avalanche talk, 70€ day with guide in group, 300€ guide for a week in group
1. 10€ a day.
5. Free
2. 300€
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The problem is, it's incredibly easy to buy the cool toys and have the gadgets on you. However, it has to be emphasised these are crisis management tools, NOT protection. If you're in a slide, you've made a mistake, and you're in deep trouble. Around 35% (give or take 10%, I can't remember from my course) die from blunt trauma. If you're caught in a slide and buried, you're likely to be injured too - it's not like it's nice light snow burying you, it's slabs of ice from the lower layers that have released.

I dislike the idea of carrying a beacon but not shovel/probe, though I can see why it's done.
latest report
if you're only carrying a beacon you're saying "i want someone else to dig me out but I can't be bothered to carry the stuff which would allow me to dig someone else out"
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
jbob, It is all fine and well to say do a course but dont you still need equipment??... when you do this course do you not wear avi kit?

I ski 'sidecountry' off piste, by myself sans kit quite regularly. This year I am going out more, so now I have the kit. It all weighs a kilo or less, including a metal shovel. As far as I am concerned, though, nothing has changed. 'The kit' improves my chances by 0-5%, maybe someone else's chances more. The stuff I've had drummed into my thick, irresponsible solo skiing skull, however, improves my chances far far more.

For yourself, get a course. Learn how to not get avalanched. For the person you ski with, get the shovel, probe & transceiver for the moment your/their judgement fails.
ski holidays
Cunners wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I ski 'sidecountry' off piste, by myself sans kit quite regularly. This year I am going out more, so now I have the kit. It all weighs a kilo or less, including a metal shovel. As far as I am concerned, though, nothing has changed. 'The kit' improves my chances by 0-5%, maybe someone else's chances more. The stuff I've had drummed into my thick, irresponsible solo skiing skull, however, improves my chances far far more.

For yourself, get a course. Learn how to not get avalanched. For the person you ski with, get the shovel, probe & transceiver for the moment your/their judgement fails.

BTW, the sum total that I DO know can be summed up as "there's a lot goes on that can bite you in the back bottom that you don't know anything about". Seems a good place to start Very Happy Life's one big learning curve and it's all about keeping it going.
snow report
Then there's the old chestnut of does carrying a beacon tempt you to do stuff you wouldn't otherwise have done - would it then be offering limited protection but against an increased risk?
latest report
Also remember avalanches aren't the only added hazard when going off piste.

An injury off piste away from help
Kit breakage
Getting lost
Unexpected cliffs
Falls resulting in sliding
Fog / Cloud rolling in in unknown territory
Changing snow - breakable crust
Trees and heads don't mix very well.

Not putting you off, getting off the piste is fantastic. If i'm venturing off without a guide I tend to stick in sight of the piste, make sure I know or can see my way back to piste at all times, ski with someone else. Get on a course, read up. the Wayne Watson Off Piste book is very good.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
skimottaret, I think we agree- but my order would be,

3. Free davidof's www.pistehors.com/ a great place to start
4. 10€ henry's avalanche talk, 70€ day with guide in group, 300€ guide for a week in group
1. 10€ a day.
5. Free
2. 300€

yours is a better list Toofy Grin
latest report
Arno wrote:
if you're only carrying a beacon you're saying "i want someone else to dig me out but I can't be bothered to carry the stuff which would allow me to dig someone else out"

or your by yourself on a primarily on piste day in resort....

Q. if you are skiing by yourself should you have a full pack or is a beeper better than nothing....
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
........Q. if you are skiing by yourself should you have a full pack or is a beeper better than nothing....

A. You should have a full pack so that you can assist another who is buried. Whilst a beeper allows your location to be identified if you are the victim it only allows you to perform a partial location 'find' if you are the rescuer. One of Warren Smith's doctrine's is to ski with all the kit all the time.
latest report
I always ski with a full pack. Pretty much the only time I take it off is if there are gates in the offing. I do leave the harness at home though if I'm not expecting to ski any glaciers. Even then I always carry a few slings and karabiners.

There was a salutory story posted here a couple of years back by SimonN which is well worth remembering. Ah, found it
snow report
I could quite happily always carry (if/when I get them) a transceiver and pole with me all the time I am on the mountain. Its just the shovel that I struggle with. My little hydration sac could take the pole inside no problem but a big metal shovel on my back when skiing blue runs all morning would be a bit odd. and surely a little dangerous for a fall/collision.

If only there was a good fold out option..
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I usually ski with a pack on anyway. It's much better to have spare layers for the kids and space to put discarded ones than have them too hot/cold. It doesn't bother me and it's much handier than stuffing things in pockets, etc.

I only bought my own avvy gear last season but since then I've skied with it pretty much all the time. How bad would it be to see someone get in trouble, locate them with bleep and have nothing to dig them out with ? Skullie

Agree with jbob though, I'd much rather have the knowledge to pick safer lines/know when to stay on piste than the equipment to make sure they can recover my body. Confused
snow report
Quote:

ski with all the kit all the time

not a bad habit to get into kinda like wearing a helmet all the time. but for me at 6 4" when i am squashed into a 4 man chair and have a backpack on, i need to take it off every time i get on a chair and put it in front of me. it is a lot of hassle when skiing on primarily on piste...
snow conditions
If you carry your avi kit you are available to help others in trouble rather than being just a spectator. Even if you're just planning to ski with the kids that day.

A quote I heard recently was,

"Q: What do you give your mate who turns up to ski with a beacon but no shovel & probe. A: Yours!" Ta Spyderjon
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now, one more.
If a spike from a 2 antenna transceiver happens, which can essentially report a buried victim 1-2 meters away from where they are meant to be, how are you supposed to pinpoint them exactly?
http://www.beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Spikes.htm
latest report
 brian
brian
GordonFreeman, probing, which obviously will take longer if the beacon has you a metre or 2 off, hence the need for 3 antennae beacons.
snow report
Are the BCAs a bit bulky to wear?
snow report
 brian
brian
The tracker ? No, not at all.

Packages available fairly cheap from Germany (no import duty). I bought from Bergzeit last year, exchange rate not so good now though.

http://www.bergzeit.de/ausruestung/wintersport/lvs-geraete/

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=35
snow report
GordonFreeman wrote:
Are the BCAs a bit bulky to wear?

I don't like the BCA harness as I've been unable to find a comfy position for it that wouldn't be an injury inducing risk to me in a fall. I therefore carry my Tracker in my jacket pocket were it's curved flat shape fits me perfectly. The Tracker has a lanyard loop on it I click in to an eye
within my pocket so I can't loose it if my pocket was left undone. When I put my jacket on in the morning I turn it on & only turn it off when I'm back home at night. And I carry my avi gear/backpack all the time wherever I'm skiing. In the event of an emergency my transceiver to hand to commence an immediate search without having to start stripping off etc.

Now before I get flamed I am well aware that all the transceiver manufacturers recommended that they should be carried in it's harness under your jacket (& even under a layer of clothing as well) as a victim could have their jacket ripped off in an avalanche. This just doesn't work for me & I reckon that if the force of the avalanche is so great to rip off my well fitting jacket from underneath a backpack with a very snug/strong waist & sternum straps then there's not going to be much left of me to find!
ski holidays
We both wear our beepers every day we go on the mountain, so that we have them in case either of us needed to help search for someone. We almost always take the pack with shovel and probe as well, and since mine's already in my ABS pack, I usually take that too. I don't find it too heavy as I'm used to it.
ski holidays
you wear the transceiver in the middle of your stomach or off to the side?
I can see how carrying it in your backpack or trousers is common but what do people think of that?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, to difficult to get to in a hurry.

i have just read this
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0805-time-to-retire-the-ortovox-f1/

being that me my other half and the boy have one of these i'm a little concerned, i just do not have the funds to replace 3 trancievers.
your comments on this would be most interesting
ski holidays
GordonFreeman,

Not much use if seperated from you body..which a pack could be.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
GordonFreeman,

Not much use if seperated from you body..which a pack could be.

on piste i meant. off piste i think most would wear it as intended with straps but is it meant to be in the middle of your abdomen?

snowangel., did you see the link to BCA trackers further up the thread?
latest report
snowangel., interesting comments about the different pulse rates of the different transcievers. I've always thought that a good thing as it does then allow you to distinguish between different transmitters - you can lock onto a faster one or a slower one. One of the major plus points in my decision to get a Barryvox Pulse was the ability to switch all the fancy stuff off (just hold down the two buttons at once) and get back to the raw unprocessed analogue signal, so you can make your own mind up about how many signals there are - and whether any of them are mobile phones etc..

The issue about frequency drift and failing signal intensity would be the only things in that article that would concern me. But as you have three of them, you can do a check yourself on each transceiver against the other two and see if you have a range problem. But remember that the F1 starts out with the best range of pretty much any transceiver on the market, so you'll have to be failing fairly badly before you get worse than e.g. the Tracker (and certainly the X1..which is crap). As you know how to use it, and if th range proves OK, don't worry about it....until it dies for good.
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, yeh i did and have looked but when you have to buy 3 of them its not much help as its a lot of money. I know we are talking about life here, dont get me wrong, i have a use my tranciever all the time as do we all, they were expensive enough the first time. Just a bit of a shock to now be looking at £600 for a new lot. which will be hard to find
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy