Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding socks vs Ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As someone who enjoys both sliding disciplines, I often see in the shops socks specifically targetted for skiers amd those specifiaclly targetted for snowboarders.

Are they really the same sock, with clever marketing to catch both target groups, or is there some real difference, e.g. thickness, elastcis etc.

I haven't as yet compare them but just had the thought.

Personally I use ski socks for both skiing and boarding ... oooh, am I being naughty ?!?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
isn't marketing great Toofy Grin Toofy Grin if it says ski on it boarders won't buy it and vice versa. boarding socks tend to be like a medium cushion ski sock, which IMO is a little thick for a performance fit in a ski boot [unless we are dealing with a very low volume foot ]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, how about snowboarding vs. ski goggles?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Snowboarding Goggles have the Mirror on the inside. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if the marketing men know their stuff, there will be a little more padding (or the pattern of the socks will suggest that there is a little more padding) on the rear of the calf rather than on the front of the shins.

but frankly, they don't make much difference
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if the marketing men know their stuff, there will be a little more padding

SUCKER!!!!

The marketing weasels do indeed know their stuff. However, their 'stuff' is all about parting you from your money, and has nothing to do with either skiing or boarding.

Mr Lizzard boards in M&S six-pack black socks and his feet haven't dropped off yet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
.....Mr Lizzard boards in M&S six-pack black socks and his feet haven't dropped off yet.

Lizzard, not just boarding socks, M&S boarding socks!

Sounds like the marketing guys have got to him too wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow! You mean there's a difference?

I'll have to ditch all the ski socks I've been using all these years and upgrade to snowboard socks.

I think it basically comes down to thick vs thin.

I started off on thick socks, and soon realised the benefits of thin socks.

The sock is merely a flesh/liner interface. The critical issue is that the boot fits the foot. Thick socks betray ill fitting boots.

That's about it for me. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think its necessarily marketing, in Lidls they did both types and they were exactly same amount of cash. There was a difference in where they were padded - for the record I bought skiing ones!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
boarding socks tend to be like a medium cushion ski sock, which IMO is a little thick for a performance fit in a ski boot [unless we are dealing with a very low volume foot ]

speaking as someone with very skinny calves & dainty feet, Blush only boarding socks, with their extra shin padding, allow me to get my boots to fit snugly....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

if the marketing men know their stuff, there will be a little more padding

SUCKER!!!!

The marketing weasels do indeed know their stuff. However, their 'stuff' is all about parting you from your money, and has nothing to do with either skiing or boarding.

That was what I was trying to say! (see the words in parenthesis about making things look like there is a special padding area, when in fact there is no real difference other than colour) wink

it's all about convincing people to have 8 pairs of socks instead of 4
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys, ski socks it is then. That's another few quid saved, or to put it another way, a few extra gluhwien's.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy