Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BZK - IMV not the message board it was last year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf, that's laundryman's point
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman wrote:

ski instructors are paid less than people with comparable skills following less congenial occupations.

You would be right as far as this country is concerned. Taking into consideration mileage, wear and tear on the car getting to the slope, providing my own equipment/clothing and having spent God knows how much money to qualify to teach in the first place I am seriously out of pocket. On the up side I do get valuable training in the off season and get to ski for free at my home slope. It doesn't redress the balance though, so I must do it for love! Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf wrote:
But is the point not that they don't care that they're not earning huge amounts of money because they enjoy what they do everyday so they don't need a large salary as an incentive to go to work. They don't need to spend money on things like ski holidays so why would they need a huge wage Twisted Evil

Shocked

just Partners / Children / Mortgages / Summer Holidays / Training course fees ......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry I didn't get my point across well. Having worked for well below the minimum wage for the first 4 years after I left University I know it is possible to be very happy on a fairly low wage, it kind of depends what your expectations of low are. I took the wrong meaning from laundrymans post. Spyderman ( I think) had said something about his careers advisor telling him to find something he would do for nothing then to find someone who would pay you for doing it. Laudryman then said something about how this would lead to lower wages than doing a job requiring similar skills which perhaps you didn't enjoy as much. My point was that a high wage is perhaps only a selling point for a job when it is something that you don't enjoy doing because if you are only doing your job for the money then obviously its got to be paying you a lot to motivate you to perform well. I am sure the ski instructors earn enough to live on ( I hope) it seems to me to be one of those jobs that you would do because you love it, and also enjoy teaching people, rather than with the expectation of it making you rich.

Not sure I've really explained what I meant yet but I wasn't meaning to imply that ski instructors should work for nothing or indeed deserve to work for nothing, the fact is there is a lot of people out there who work for what many people on here would appear to think is a low wage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, I understand! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Motivation is not the only reason why high salaries are earned, there is also the rule of supply and demand. If you have a skill that very few others have, and that is in high demand, then generally you'll get paid more, even if you absolutely love your job.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For instance, I'll bet Bode Miller makes a passable living from mucking around on skis. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf, No problem, I understand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="lynseyf"] rather than with the expectation of it making you rich.

quote]

What's the easiest way to become a millionaire ski instructor?

Start of as a multi-millionaire... Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
Motivation is not the only reason why high salaries are earned, there is also the rule of supply and demand. If you have a skill that very few others have, and that is in high demand, then generally you'll get paid more, even if you absolutely love your job.

From the Wealth of Nations:
Adam Smith wrote:
The five following are the principal circumstances which, so far as I have been able to observe, make up for a small pecuniary gain in some employments, and counter-balance a great one in others: first, the agreeableness or disagreeableness of the employments themselves; secondly, the easiness and cheapness, or the difficulty and expence of learning them; thirdly, the constancy or inconstancy of employment in them; fourthly, the small or great trust which must be reposed in those who exercise them; and fifthly, the probability or improbability of success in them.

I guess your point most closely matches (2).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could say the whole forum is not what it was...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, It's the internet ...it evolves. Did anyone say evolution was for the better?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy