Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BZK - IMV not the message board it was last year

Poster: A snowHead
I suspect it might just be me, but BZK doesn't seem to be the place it was last year. It seems far duller and not half as interesting.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, maybe a goat-ski section would liven things up? Superbly bizzare website MM - the internet is so cool... Very Happy

BTW - and I'm sure you know this, being in the trade an' all, but goats are brilliant rock climbers. I was once struggling up a steep polished route on the Idwal slabs in North Wales and to my utter astonishment one of the scary looking feral mountain goats walked DOWN the route past me....

Anyway, totally agree about BZK, too much OT rubbish on here... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, and thats why we are back to having to argue about the Ski Club and it's rights etc etc, but anyway it's good to see ise back again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well - there you are then! Why should we (the pros) do for free what we normally get paid for just to be slagged off?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, I was joking Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
Well - there you are then! Why should we (the pros) do for free what we normally get paid for just to be slagged off?

From my (albeit limited) understanding, it was the pros slagging the pros off Confused .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I think it's much better. Anybody can post without getting torn to pieces, unlike last year. I suppose in that way it is duller, but better for it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, have to agree with you. Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I think that, if you were to search against your own name, you would find very little evidence of anyone having slagged you (personally) off, in fact quite the reverse. But that's the trouble with non-specific criticism (of which I was, in a fit of pique, guilty myself) it risks the people at whom it is not directed assuming, wrongly, that it is directed at them. Never mind, I do actually think you should be paid for your excellent advice: Megamum and anyone else who wants your pearls of wisdom should get their backsides over to L2A. Toofy Grin

Spyderman, I agree with you, for instance on the current off-piste thread I haven't - as a complete, self-confessed numpty - felt patronised once (except in jest, which is fair enough Toofy Grin) and there's lots of useful advice on the thread.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the problem the questions, or the answers ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BZK Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, the problems laid with the questions to the answers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, I can recall only good things said about you Very Happy

I think the trouble is posting what you want to say. I find some of my posts look 'not as friendly' as I intend. It all come out very black and white.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 28-01-08 11:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, FISH
Great fishing trip, well done.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 28-01-08 11:10; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, BZK = Bend Ze Knees section of the site. As in WALOB wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin, You should have said WALOB, would have understood wink Laughing . As I use the 'view posts since last visit', sections are irrelevant Laughing
snow report
trip-trap, trip-trap rolling eyes
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, why the scatological Russian sig?
latest report
Hurtle, off to Courchevel 1850 Laughing
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Skiing or ahem, working Embarassed Razz NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, ah! What's the Russian for bling? You'll need that as well.
snow conditions
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing I'm going to ski, NOT by LV handbags, might have to skip the lunch and coffee stops though Skullie

thefatcontroller, Shocked Laughing
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman, I agree with you, for instance on the current off-piste thread I haven't - as a complete, self-confessed numpty - felt patronised once (except in jest, which is fair enough Toofy Grin) and there's lots of useful advice on the thread.

Yes and only one person has been injured since trying some of the advice given in that thread Toofy Grin
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno,

Quote:

skip the lunch and coffee stops though

No way the second best thing about 1850 is drinking coffee trying to work out which of the blond, slim young ladies with the overly muscled Bognor wearing blokes are hired help and which have actually hit the jackpot.. Toofy Grin
snow report
DB wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Yes and only one person has been injured since trying some of the advice given in that thread Toofy Grin

Entirely her own fault, I might add, since what went wrong was exactly what she was told NOT to do (i.e. rush and skis not parallel)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Are the boot boys happy now ?
snow report
brian, Will they ever be, but nice of Megamum to bump up the aggro rolling eyes

snow conditions
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, that's not a fish ! Did you do that on porpoise ?
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
DB wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Entirely her own fault, I might add, since what went wrong was exactly what she was told NOT to do (i.e. rush and skis not parallel)

As you know I was one of the ones trying to help with advice, just thought I'd get the comment in before someone else did. Blush

Epicski had similar problems, the good advice given by the pros was challenged by someone (let's call him "Fred") who had been given a tip from a bloke in the pub who had read a book about it. It was best when two instructors were going at each other believing the other one was Fred. To prove to each other that they weren't Fred they each got more and more technical and then argued about the meanings of technical terms. People started off reading a thread to gain tips/advice but ended up watching the main characters in the thread handbag each other with technical terms in a techno babble language they didn't understand. Epic ended up starting a new Forum on ski instruction just for qualified people called "ask a ski pro".
latest report
DB,
Quote:

People started off reading a thread to gain tips/advice but ended up watching the main characters in the thread handbag each other with technical terms in a techno babble language they didn't understand.

A good description of what happened here. What happened to the instructors on Epic? Did they flounceo off, never to be seen again? Or are they playing happily in their own cage?
latest report
Hurtle, Ask a Pro does not have all the "pros" able to answer questions from the "students" only those who are somehow "selected" as being "worthy" by the "management" eg. Fastman is not a "pro" neither is Skidude who I believe is a very experienced CSIA4... One of the "pros" in fact has no quals or teaching experience at all....

I seem to remember Skidude making comments about the standard of the answers given ....

Fastman and Skidude now post little... Snokarver left ages back, VSP posts little, David M got jumped all over when he first started posting there and never did post that much after...

There are threads complaining about how the instruction section is not what it once was and schemes to fix it keep appearing...
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
DB,
Quote:

People started off reading a thread to gain tips/advice but ended up watching the main characters in the thread handbag each other with technical terms in a techno babble language they didn't understand.

A good description of what happened here. What happened to the instructors on Epic? Did they flounceo off, never to be seen again? Or are they playing happily in their own cage?

Only looked in a couple of times some time back so just had another look. I found civil conversation of well respected ski pros on technical aspects with a thick smatter of nostalgic reminissing about where they have instructed. Extra points are awarded for name dropping of ski gods/celebrities and using the initials "PSIA". No sign of a good argument anywhere and unsurprisingly the instruction section open to every man and his llama is far more active.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro wrote:
easiski wrote:

From my (albeit limited) understanding, it was the pros slagging the pros off Confused .

Was it though ? The pros got into a fair few detailed arguments but I think if people had just let them get on with it it would've been fine. The problem seems to be to be more with people moaning and starting threads elsewhere dedicated to moaning about the fact that there were arguments at all.

I didn't (and still don't) see what CEM and SZK were complaining about ?? If you don't want to read argumentative, technical threads then don't open them, shirley ?
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I suspect it might just be me, but BZK doesn't seem to be the place it was last year. It seems far duller and not half as interesting.

You say that like it's a bad thing Puzzled
ski holidays
I was really sad to see the arguments that went on, and even sadder that the pros were made to feel like not bothering to contribute (though I understand their feelings).

Novices like me, (especially being the sole skier in the family), can benefit so very much from tips/advice - yes there are always going to be differences in professional opinion but seldom is there only one right answer to a question, but we lose out if our questions go unanswered by those best qualified to do so. This is overall such a warm and friendly community in which I feel I have made so many friends, learned a huge amount and had a lot of laughs.

Some have said there's little point in advice being given on here because it's no substitute for practical lessons. Whilst it's true that they can't replace lessons, when like me you have very few days of lessons a year, you have to grab at every opportunity to pick up tips. I went to Xscape last week and felt I really made excellent use of a few tips I had picked up here and hope they enable me to also make good use of my 1st day of my forthcoming holiday, before joining the lessons on the Monday. You all have helped me feel like an excited teenager as my trip approaches - 19 days and counting!

So my plea is

Please please, pros keep the useful answers & tips coming, and don't get drawn into disputes. If anyone does strongly disagree with a point made within a thread, I suggest they either PM the author of the point to clarify the issue or start another thread specifically to discuss the nitty gritty techie details. Life's too short to have arguments on here - let's try to stay positive - unpleasantness benefits nobody!

---------------------
By the way, brian, which one is Shirley - CEM or SZK? Laughing
snow report
Of course, we shouldn't forget that one of the pros left for a completely different reason.
ski holidays
Megamum
Is the keep net full yet?
You've caught some big un's today
Laughing Toofy Grin
boredsurfin wrote:

ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hurtle, I already have. Embarassed Who and what ?
latest report
brian, er, probably best not to dredge it up again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy