Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Sunglasses for skiing - esp Adidas

Poster: A snowHead
In the past i've always done my skiing in goggles with contact lenses... mainly because i've always skied early season in the bitter cold and/or snowy conditions.

In March I'm off to the 3Vs and figured i'd treat myself to nice sunglasses.

Now, contact lenses are a bit of a pain and I'm not a huge fan of them so the possibility of ditching them and getting some prescription lenses in the sunglasses is quite appealing. I've had a quick look round on the internet today and have found that most of the major manufacturers do them.

The majority just replace the lenses with prescription ones - except for Adidas who sell "inserts" that clip in behind the actual lens. These inserts can then be changed as and when your prescription changes. This sounds convienient, but the idea of a clipped in insert behind the lens sounds uncomfortable and a bit odd.

Anyone tried them?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have used the adidas evil eye explorers and found them great. I have not used the inserts but as sunglasses for skiing they are perfect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a pair of Rayban prescription sunglasses and also a prescription set with purposed designed clips but I prefer my contact lenses for all round vision and no blind spots
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also have prescription Raybans and find them great. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr HL uses prescription Raybans and likes them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
magic_hat, had laser surgery, much better Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:

With who? Any side effects?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Prescription Oakleys for me [minutes] - weren't cheap but can use them cycling in summer, and I think they look pretty cool. Just a shame my eyesight is failing and am facing the prospect of replacing them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have cycling glasses with inserts (inc Adidas ones) and they work well because the lens is close to the eye. I would wonder about goggles as would assume that the insert is further from your eye. Would you get poor peripheral vision?

Also, bear in mind that having two layers of lens (goggle lens plus insert) increases the risk of damp air getting trapped and fogging up the goggles.

I wear goggles and contact lenses (or rather, just the one, but it would involve heading off on a tangent to explain why...)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
magic_hat, I have used Adidas Evil Eye sunglasses with prescription insert for years. They are excellent - you don't know the insert is there (except that you can see); and they work despite the fact that my (-7.5) prescription far exceeds the quoted limits of most sunglasses manufacturers. Using an insert rather than building correction into the sunglasses lenses themselves is certainly the solution for serious prescriptions as most modern sunglasses are too curved to cope. They brought this system out a long time ago and they're still producing it, which means you can get replacement lenses for the Evil Eye if your original ones get scratched or if you need lenses for a range of weather conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boyo wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

With who? Any side effects?

Optical Express. -4.5 in each eye, driving the morning after. No side effects. Had no issue wiht glasses but contact were a nightmare. Makes sport just so much easier snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boyo - it's worth reading up on side effects as mileage varies.

I know three people who've had correction surgery and side effects have included reduced night accuity (improves over time), "starring" effect from light sources (again, improves over time) and nausia. All the people I know who've had it done say that the benefits far outweigh the side-effects. But things can and do go wrong - none of the approaches is risk free.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, You could get hit in the face while wearing glasses and glass could go in your eye and you could go blind...You takes your chances in life. Myself and mrsfatcontroller went extreme and we both had ours done at the same time and 3 1/2 years later I forget I ever wore glasses.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shocked I have a laser eye consultation today at Optical Express Shocked

Been told in the past that I wasn't suitable, so I'm enquiring today about lens implants instead. Yikes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilbern74, Saw 3 companies and found Optical Express the best. The other 2 only did laser surgery and I never felt comfortable with them. I was about to give up when I went to see OE. I explained my reservations to the optican who said that as he was a trained optican if I didn't want laser he would happily sell me contacts or galsses. It wasn't the hard sell of the others. There have been minor side effects but they are far, far outweighed by the positives. I can swim with the kids Cool Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller, cheers. I'm quite comfortable going to OE. Like you mention, they were really honest with me when I went to see them before and wouldn't offer me any treatment if they thought it wasn't going to be beneficial.
2 or 3 years ago they told me that because of the shape/muscle of my eyes I wasn't able to have the standard laser procedures.There were no other 'simple' procedures available at the time without great expense.

But I REALLY want my eyes sorted out! Things have moved on (in such a short time really) and I've read a bit about other surgical options like lens implants becoming more of a procedure and more available. So I hope they can offer me something now.

I'm long sighted +3.5/+2.25 (last prescription).

So fingers crossed!
latest report
Gilbern74, Good luck, let us know what they say. Cool snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers for the replies everyone...

Definately going to sort myself out with some prescription sunglasses - probably the adidas with inserts as I would imagine it's easy to chop and change if your prescription needs amending.

Interesting stuff about the laser surgery - something i've often considered but never gotten around to investigating. A friend of mine had it done in India recently and is over the moon with it.
latest report
Gilbern74, lens inserts?? That is pretty extreme, much higher chance of complications. Let us know how you get on.

FTR I was -6.5 before LASIK, probably had it done a couple of years too early as my eyes kept deteriorating and have now reverted to -1.0, but it remains the best money I've ever spent.
ski holidays
Quote:
But things can and do go wrong - none of the approaches is risk free.

and it isn't always pain and hassle free. My daughter had two eyes done at once, with laser surgery, and was completely light sensitive for some days after the bandages came off (12 hours after surgery). She had to sit in a darkened room. Could start reading big print 3 or 4 days later, the eyes took 6 weeks to become comfortable for normal use. She now has super eyesight, and is delighted, but it was quite hard at the time. And that was with no infections or complications.

A friend who was skiing here with us last week had lens inserts done. She's very pleased. Had them done separately, and said one was a bit less comfortable and easy than the other, but no complaints.

I have just had some goggle inserts made in Albertville - they're fine, and fit in any goggles. To my surprise, absolutely no problems with fogging. Went back in this morning and ordered prescription sunnies - 60 euros complete with single vision lenses. An attempt to have wrap around frames fitted with varifocal lenses in Specsavers in the UK was a disaster - got full refund, no quibble, as the manager said the girl should never have sold me that frame.
snow conditions
Wow, back from OE and my Laser Surgery consultation (4 hours ago). I can only just see again!

Basically, I was eligible for laser surgery..and then I wasn't. I did all the tests, the prescrition check, the eye 'health test' and some others, and then the guy says I am a candidate for laser treatment. It would cost £1495 on my right, and £1295 on my left. Okayyyyyy Sad

but then I have 2 more tests to do which require drops in the eye. One to numb the eye, and the next to dilate my pupils (they're massive!!)
He does this to test/estimate how my eyes would be after any laser treatment. So he checks my prescription after this test and because my right eye goes from +3.25 to +5.25 I am no longer eligible for treatment (any prescription over +4.75 is not suitable).

Hence for the past 3 hours or so I've been bumping into things with a +5.25 focus in +3.25 glasses !!!! Just getting back into focus now so I can type ok again.

I've got a brochure now on alternative Lens Implants (ICL - Implanted Contact Lenses). I need to go for another consultation in Harley Street (if I decide to do so). The treatment will cost iro £3,500 Shocked

So, back to the original thread.............
I'm off to get some prescription lenses for my Oakley XLJ's Very Happy
ski holidays
Gilbern74, Ah yes dilated pupils......... Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Gilbern74 wrote:

So, back to the original thread.............
I'm off to get some prescription lenses for my Oakley XLJ's Very Happy

How doable is that? I've got a great pair of North Face sunnies, but at the mo I need to wear contacts with them - is it possible to get prescription lenses for them? If so, any pointers on where to look?

Ta
ski holidays
IMT, I found that it's all to do with the curvature (curviture?) of the lens. There's only so much 'curve' lens-makers can work with before any prescriptions become pointless because of the distortion cause by the curve. And in many sunglasses/goggles the fashion is for wrap-arounds, which won't work.
And it depends on whether the manufaturer (North Face in your case) actually provide a prescription service.
You'd have to go to an optician/vendor that sells North Face sunnies and ask if they can check with North Face, or maybe check their website and call their customer service number..

I did this with my Oakley's. There were only certain models that they made that could have prescription lenses made for them.
latest report
Gilbern74, Thanks for that - I'll check with them direct.
snow report
I found I couldnt use contacts with goggles because my eyes dried up and I also Kayak so contacts are completely unsuitable soooo....

I tried prescription sunglasses from a high-street company, but they weren't great after talking to an optician (independent one) he arranged Bausch and Lomb (the company who owns Ray Ban) lenses in any colour I want.

After experimenting I found a pink tint worked best for me as the yellow tint was great in low light, but useless at altitude skiing (the sun at 4000m is really bright)

It also meant I could pick a wrap-around frame to protect the eyes from side light)

hope this helps

ps I couldnt get laser due to my eyes, but maybe the new technology will work
snow report
slowjoe, what is the new technology, a robotic glasses Smile
latest report
Ski and see in canada offer an in the goggle built in prescription which avoids virtually all fogging issues and worked brilliantly when i went away in February. Expensive at 220 quid but the best.i have had. My prescription is minus 3.75.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilbern74 wrote:
IMT, I found that it's all to do with the curvature (curviture?) of the lens. There's only so much 'curve' lens-makers can work with before any prescriptions become pointless because of the distortion cause by the curve. And in many sunglasses/goggles the fashion is for wrap-arounds, which won't work.

Oakley say they won't go higher than 4.25 if memory serves me correctly, and my prescription is a full point higher than that, but i got some custom lenses made at Leightons Opticians. They're as think as anything to accomodate the curve of the Oakley frame, but they work. I've had them now for about 8 years. Had to send them back to Oakley for an arm hinge repair last year and got a call from one of their people about where i'd got the lenses from. Frames were about $80 from US and lenses about £120 if i remember correctly
snow report
what a bump - I still have the glasses I had 2 years ago...s'pose I better get my eyes tested again... Shocked
latest report
Hi Pam W,

where in Albertvill did you get you stuff made, as i'm after some sunnies and the mrs needs some glasses now too
snow report
I read about these http://optx2020.com/ on p77 of the Aug/Sept 2010 CTC cycling magazine. They are 1.2 inch diameter, semi-circular, stick-on lenses. Advertised for reading use. Available in +1.25 to +3. Can be stuck on sunglasses, safety glasses etc. There are UK distributors.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy