Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitness goals 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Challenge Roth - full Ironman distance race is now in 8 weeks

I am now cacking myself. Cycling 200 miles a week now, running at least 30, and swimming is just fine at about 3 - 4 miles a week.

It's been a nice life.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ready myself for next year's London & Edinburgh marathons.

I am hoping to do a triathlon or a duathlon next year too so this year is getting my stamina back and improving my core.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do the potts arf marathon on the 8th of June without stopping. Bearing in mind of my recent enforced lay off. Had a good one last year (1:41:26) so hoping to complete it in 1.50 with minimum/no training.
Later in the Year do a PB for the Leek half.

I feel very good atm, due I think in reducing my drinking to a very few units a week (3 or 4). so another goal is to try and keep a grip on that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get weight down to 65kgs, lose the bingo wings and the flabby inner thighs, fit gold fartbag with room for Rizlas. Strategies: ballet at least 2x per week, ride 1x per week, start jump lessons (horse-riding, in case anyone thinks I'm referring to trampolining), maybe restart BMF, hopefully get some tennis coaching in as well, remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get up Steep Hill without dying and stop being a lazy unfit computer teen. An hours cycling every night, half road half track to start with. Increasing to more dependant on college workload.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this a new thread or are we still on new years resolutions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant, not a NYR for me, just a decision. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just get back to running again! (Knee still iffy) rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Headplant, now the winter season is over it is like a new year Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm still trying to do 10 minutes on the eliptical trainer each night - not much I know, but better than nothing. Also to lose another 14 lb
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, if you boost it to 20mins every other night it will be better, it takes about 10mins for you to warm up into your zone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader, Probably sound advice, but it is sooooo boring I don't know if I could poke up with 20 minutes in one go Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, do it in front of the TV, use a book stand and read a book, supervise the household chores, you can fill 20minutes easy as long as you remember to work hard Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader, There's no TV where I have it - in the hall, but I might be able to rig up a book stand - I'll have a rake round and see what I can come up with - good idea
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatirishman,
That sounds a pretty awesome challenge, good luck.
snow conditions
I'd caution against reading a book whilst exercising, it tends to make you take it a bit too easy.
latest report
Kramer, That might depend on what you're reading wink
latest report
Kramer,
Quote:
you can fill 20minutes easy as long as you remember to work hard
I see it at the gym on the bikes all the time, legs hardly moving but I think with an eliptical trainer it will be more noticeable if you slow down.
latest report
If I could just drop slightly OT - re: my eliptical trainer - I'm trying to sort my tummy muscles out - will a trainer like this help with the tummy muscles which are non existent since my kids?

I think with me wanting to be a better skier tummy muscles - the 'core' that people talk about are important aren't they?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 14-05-08 22:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, in a word, no.
snow conditions
Kramer, Oh, I'd better find something else for them then - to any one reading the above Kramer posted before I added in the second line of the question so his 'no' makes sense to me
ski holidays
Megamum, I'd love a washboard stomach too. But after 4 kids (human not goat Shocked ), and being the wrong side of middle age, I'm not holding out much hope Sad . I'm only just into the "normal" rather than "underweight" bit of the charts but I still remember the days of hip bones with a concave, rather than convex, shape between them Evil or Very Mad . I do exercise the muscles but everything that is supposed to work, hurts the lower back too much. Any ideas, anyone?
latest report
maggi, (and Megamum does anywhere local to you do Pilates classes? I lost loads of inches and toned up my stomach no end when I did it regularly. Not doing it at all has made it all sag again. It also helped a lot with balance for skiing, and that all important core strength. If you can find someone in your area doing matwork classes, possibly the local sports centre, it won't be as expensive.
snow report
Megamum, good core muscles do help a lot when skiing, especially when it comes to recovering from getting out of shape, as PhilW witnessed on Jerusalem at the EoSB.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I don't do Pilates but I do yoga and my teacher knows my core muscles are weak. Unfortunately, every exercise we do kills my lower back before strengthening the stomach muscles. I've recently started ice skating lessons and so I need core strength for this too. But really, I don't care about this Confused . I just want a wash board stomach. Anorexia or surgery I think. Oh, well, I guess I'll just live with it! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Megamum,
Quote:

will a trainer like this help with the tummy muscles

I beg to differ from Kramer on this. If you correctly engage your tummy muscles while doing virtually any kind of training (or walking, or even just sitting) you will strengthen those muscles. The trick is to learn how to engage them properly (the sensation is as though you are pulling them in towards your spine) and to keep them engaged at all times so that, eventually, it becomes second nature. If you want to concentrate on the abs, I'd say that properly done sit-ups - with all the usual variants - are an excellent thing to do. But it's crucial that you engage your tummy muscles first: you will then see that quite small movements can be effective - you will feel those muscles flexing with the tiniest of sit-ups, if they are properly targetted. It's no use bouncing, as I see so many people at my gym doing - the bounce helps to get you up and therefore reduces your incentive to use the muscles to lift you.

maggi, there are lots of things you can do to relieve the odd lower back twinge which is likely to afflict you during exercise, until such time as the tummy muscles start to take over the work which your back is struggling with. They include hugging your knees (while lying down) and doing 'roll-downs' - heavy head, bent knees, rounded back, arms hanging down, completely relaxed apart from your tummy - while standing up. It really is worth perservering with Pilates-style exercises, including sit-ups: I started Pilates because I had lower back pain and improving my core strength got rid of it.

Sorry, I am a real Pilates bore... Embarassed
snow report
Hurtle, Thanks for your encouragement about pilates. I've heard many people sing its praises-- I have done some yoga in the past, but recently have lapsed on that too.
Now I am going to swim as much as possible over the next months. Swam in the Ladies' Pond on Hampstead Heath yesterday for the first time this summer-- the temperature was 18 degrees and it felt freezing at first. But after a few minutes of body shock, it was amazing and refreshing---but I could only do one round-- and not my usual 3 times round the pond--which would be the ideal toneup/weight loss recipe ....but I must be patient with myself and get into it gradually again.
Today I could hardly get out of bed, all my muscles ached.... Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-05-08 1:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Goal: 24 hours of Montreal solo with a 16-17mph average.
http://www.24inline.ca/race.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, that looks good, I keep thinking of taking inline skating up but the pavements where I live are in poor shape. (yep another excuse for not trying). Wink

Hurtle, I totally agree, I see people bouncing all the time (on the weights as well) which is totally ineffective, My sit ups are slow and I concentrate on feeling my core muscles working.
snow report
Thanks T Bar.

Hirsty what distance Tri are you looking for? There are a few goodies up there.....

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 15-05-08 8:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hurtle, yup, with on the benefits of Pilates - I've just started yoga cos I couldn't find any reasonably priced equipment sessions, but I've now heard of a place and will start going soon!

maggi, ice-skating, impressive! Jealous too. Hmm, my nearest rink is not far away...keep us informed about your progress, we want to be the first to know when you perform a triple lutz!
latest report
vetski, I do mat-based Pilates classes (incorporating quite a few Yoga postures and even a few ballet exercises too, as the teacher was originally trained as a dancer) I've never done any equipment-based stuff. Oh, except that we do use free weights a bit. It's good not having to rely on fancy equipment, means that I can do some at home and I always follow each gym work-out by doing my own Pilates routine, about 30 minutes' worth, or less - just the main stretches - if I'm strapped for time.

If anybody would like a simple, no-nonsense introduction to Pilates, with clear explanations of some exercises you can do at home, I can recommend '15-Minutes Pilates' by Lesley Ackland - see here.
ski holidays
i have finally got my mountain bike sorted out.. had yesterday off and went for a ride.. considering i havnt ridden a bike for about 2 years everything has held up rather well may go again this evening.. my hands bloody ached tho.. im blaming a pathetically weak core!!
latest report
For those of you wanting to increase your core strength I've heard that those great big rubber balls that you sit on whilst exercising are supposed to really help Little Angel
ski holidays
D G Orf, I've tried those before, and find them phenomenally uncomfortable - and not just the discomfort that comes with using neglected muscles. I'm not sure why, but I've ended up with terrible backache after a session. I believe they're known as Swiss Balls...now there's a country which clearly breeds real men...
snow report
vetski,
Quote:

I've tried those before, and find them phenomenally uncomfortable - and not just the discomfort that comes with using neglected muscles. I'm not sure why, but I've ended up with terrible backache

Me too, even when I've been careful to engage the abs first. I think we must be doing something incorrectly, but am not sure what. I do know, though, that my back doesn't like being arched too much - I have to do many more forward bends to keep limber. Maybe those Swiss ball exercises make one arch backwards too much, I don't know. I'd have thought that sitting on one was a good idea, though - a bit like the back chair I use at my desk, the sort that you kneel on - but like all these things, pretty useless if you don't engage your abs while you're on it.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, my hands always ache after a big cycle too. Is it really due to a weak core? Maybe, I'll try that Lesley Ackland book, Hurtle.
snow conditions
sheepmadang, i reckon it is.. as you get knackered you just put more and more weight onto your hands.. outside of wearing boxing gloves im afraid its going to have to be those irritatingly painful core exercises .. Shocked
ski holidays
Ah well, CANV CANVINGTON, so be it. We did some horrific stuff this morning in body pump class - we went into a plank, and then had to lift alternate legs out to the side. I just could not physically complete the excercise in full plank position, so I had to do it in half plank. even then I thought I was going to die. all this to the music "Do you reallly want to hurt me" Laughing
snow conditions
what is this 'core' strength and increasing core muscles ???
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy