Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone know if Ischgl is snow sure each year?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Thinking of going to Ischgl next year but someones told me the snow can be very dodgy there and sometimes it's a bit green Shocked is this right has anyone evr gone there and had a week of not being able to ski??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't give you a definate answer as have never been, but i recently posted a message saying that i had ruled out many Austrian resorts for a Jan trip due to them being generally lower and not as snow sure.... i got torn apart by the austrian based snowHead 's and Austria ski fans! The general gist of what they were saying is that Austria is fine - just like anywhere else. In fact, Austria has had the best early snow for the past couple of seasons (i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere recently).

As for Ischgl itself, I think it is very reliable for snow. Other snowheads may correct me on this one but i think it has a longer season than many other resorts?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It kind of depends on when and where the snow falls, but, hey.... guess what, that rule works for anywhere in the mountains... wink

Just do a very minor bit of research, go and look at the resort height and top height at Ischgl and then contemplate on the question of why on earth those heights should be any less snow sure than an awful lot of supposed "snow sure" French resorts...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nearly all the skiing in Ischgl is at over 2000m, there are only a couple of resort runs lower down, so you would still have a great time even if they were closed. This year in early January everything was open in excellent condition. Last season we were there in February, and the resort runs were open despite the fact that apart from the pistes there was no snow at valley level. I believe they kept them open down to village for pretty much the whole season. They have also invested so much money in the ski area that they have snowmaking wherever there is the slightest need, and the pisting is very good. We originally chose Ischgl because it is reasonably snow-sure, and this was borne out when we went there last year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For snowsureability I trust WTSS a lot on its 5 snowflake rating.

5 means there is definatly going to be good snow. eg Tignes/ Val Thorens

4 Should be good between dec-apr. Should always be able to ski down to the bottom of the resort. eg Alpe d'Huez/Les Arcs

3. Snow all season on some slopes. However runs to the bottom can be slushy or shut. Often has an irregular snow record. eg Mayrhofen

2. Low Altitude and Susceptible to melting snow. eg Morzine/Sauze d'Oulx/Kitzbuhel

Ischgl is rated as 4. This means that the snow record is rather good and there should be enough snow every year.

Obviously you cannot rely completly on this rating. As it gives all the Andoran resorts 4 and the snow there this year is awful.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
juliebenn, Ischgl is one of the most reliable resorts in the entire Alps, let alone Austria. If there's no snow there then there probably won't be any snow anywhere. Don't worry. What time of year are you planning on going?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MMMM thanks for the replys as a skier who has skied the last 5 years at La Plagne and had grerat snow every year I'm looking to try somewhere different but aybe I should stay in France as it generally sees to be more snow sure than Austria unless anyone thinks different..........
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The higher you go, the likelier it is to be white.

In Nov and May, 2000m is the absolute minimum height the resort must be at to typically ensure snow.

In Dec and Apr, it is 1800m.

In Mar, it is 1500m.

In Jan and Feb, it is around 700m in the Eastern Alps and 1000m in the Western Alps.

Ischgl sits at 1400m, topping out at 2900m.

Ischgl should be fine if you are going in Jan, Feb or early Mar.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
but aybe I should stay in France as it generally sees to be more snow sure than Austria

Oh come on juliebenn, you're either on a wind-up now or you haven't bothered listening to what's been said on this thread. You have, by admitting to 5 years in La Plagne, confirmed my suspicions that you're a bit of a "snow doesn't exist outside the French Alps" sort of person but if you ask for advice on here and get it, why then ignore what is said? What do you want, statements in blood? Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

In Nov and May, 2000m is the absolute minimum height the resort must be at to typically ensure snow.

In Mar, it is 1500m.

In Jan and Feb, it is around 700m in the Eastern Alps and 1000m in the Western Alps.

That's a fantastic generalisation if ever I've seen it! Cue line of people saying "I've been to resort X at x hundred metres in March and it was green..." or "I've been to resort X at x hundred metres and there was tonnes of snow in April..."

I've been to low-lying (600-ish metres) resorts in Austria in March three times in indifferent snow years and have had lying snow and valley runs open every time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glaciers apart, Ischgl is about as snow sure as you'll get.

We were there first week od Dec and conditions were simply superb. Admitted this seasons early snow was better than average, but the locals are adamant that there is 90% chance of skiing back to village from December.

Long season too, usually unil late April.

I'd have no hesitation in going there again at any time of the season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
juliebenn, Nowhere is snow sure unless it has a glacier. I've never heard that Ishgl is any different.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
juliebenn, Nowhere is snow sure unless it has a glacier.

Really ??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
Quote:
but aybe I should stay in France as it generally sees to be more snow sure than Austria

Oh come on juliebenn, you're either on a wind-up now or you haven't bothered listening to what's been said on this thread. You have, by admitting to 5 years in La Plagne, confirmed my suspicions that you're a bit of a "snow doesn't exist outside the French Alps" sort of person but if you ask for advice on here and get it, why then ignore what is said? What do you want, statements in blood? Puzzled snowHead

NO IN SNOW Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to Ischgl for a day in early April last season when it was warm and followed a season with not a lot of snow and it was fine. In fact, it was better than fine: it was great. Mushy on the lower runs and solid ice off piste but the pistes were fine Very Happy
latest report
masmith, Of course. If it doesn't snow at all then the only snow will be on the glaciers. It happened here a few years ago at Xmas/New year. It did not snow one solitary flake until 27/28 Dec - there was no snow between the man made stuff at the bottom and the glacier. However, if it had been warm like last year there wouldn't have been the man made either. So - it's possible. Not likely I grant you, but possible. To describe any resort as 'snow-sure' if it doesn't have a glacier is suggesting that the elements can be controlled. OTOH, most ski resorts have a record of decent snowfall, or they wouldn't invest millions in uplift. rolling eyes
snow report
Brilliant I'm going to go to Ischgl next year and hope for the best - thanks for all your replys snowHead
latest report
juliebenn wrote:
Brilliant I'm going to go to Ischgl next year and hope for the best - thanks for all your replys snowHead

Think I just got a hotel for March 15-22nd so I can't wait ...

Keep snowing!!
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

In Mar, it is 1500m.

Utterly clueless.

Ischgl might sit at 1400m, but 90% of the ski area is above 2000 metres.

Some photos of Ischgl, early April 2006. Every run in the place was open (even the runs to the resort, although they were nice and slushy). snowHead

The end of season concert is at the end of April.

Early March indeed.
snow report
Lager thanks it looks amazing which apartment did you stay in as it looks nice?
snow conditions
juliebenn wrote:

We stayed at the Flianna. Brilliant apartment and the owners were really helpful. Handy for the lifts and the Schatzi bar as well. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Lager wrote:
juliebenn wrote:

We stayed at the Flianna. Brilliant apartment and the owners were really helpful. Handy for the lifts and the Schatzi bar as well. Toofy Grin

brilliant thankyou i will look into it - do you know of anymore apartments/hotels nearby? Very Happy
latest report
Yes t is snow sure. They have snowmaking top to bottom on both sides of the valley. Dont worry. You can ski top to town in End of Novemeber to end of April.
snow conditions
stanton, yep I agree it is snow sure, but you can argue the technicalities of that statement with easiski, I can't be bovered. Very Happy
snow report
juliebenn wrote:
Lager wrote:
juliebenn wrote:

brilliant thankyou i will look into it - do you know of anymore apartments/hotels nearby? Very Happy

We just got a list of places from the tourist office. Just about all the accommodation in Ischgl will be good, it's hard to go wrong.

The website has an interactive map of the town so you can see where the accommodation is in relation to the lifts.
snow report
Thanks for your help the map is great Very Happy
snow report
just back from ischgl & snow superb . Talking to a bar owner there, one of his busiest times is the beginning of may when most of the other austrian resorts shut & the resort workers head up there to party & enjoy the late snow largely free of tourists. Could just be good PR but don't think so !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy