Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Delete

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-02-08 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kiltedlad, the RS80 is a 2006 model. Quite simply there are Race Boots and there are Race Boots, whay you see on Bode Miller's feet is not the same thing as you buy in a shop. it might look the same but his is a way stiffer model made from different plastics. If the Boots fit and you can flex them OK, then you've got no problem with having them.
Depending on where you are in UK, I'd recommend a visit to CEM in Bicester to sort the right boot out. www.solutions4feet.co.uk He can also assess the suitability of the boots for you.
Welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman,
Quote:

Quite simply there are Race Boots and there are Race Boots, whay you see on Bode Miller's feet is not the same thing as you buy in a shop.

Now that depends which shop, doesn't it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annoyed to hear that in 2008 in a top ski resort I am sold a 2006 model !! Spyderman - where do you find your information on the boots being a 2006 model ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kiltedlad wrote:
Annoyed to hear that in 2008 in a top ski resort I am sold a 2006 model !! Spyderman - where do you find your information on the boots being a 2006 model ?

Google shows a couple of links that suggest the RS80 is a 2005/06 model. (It might also have been marketed in other years for all I know.)

e.g. here

and a pair was listed on ebay this month
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kiltedlad wrote:

I knew they weren't 2007/8 models, so I Googled them, got the model year here: www.nextag.com/head-rs-80-boot/search-html
There's nothing really wrong with being sold an old model, if it's a good fit and hopefully you got a good deal on them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

Quite simply there are Race Boots and there are Race Boots, whay you see on Bode Miller's feet is not the same thing as you buy in a shop.

Now that depends which shop, doesn't it. Toofy Grin

It certainly does, but the sort of shops that sell 'REAL' Race Boots, are professional and don't sell them to people who can't use them.
wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, I'll sell them to anyone who wants a pair. Who am i to decide you has the right to buy what. It's expensive to get me to do the work afterwards, but that's their/you choice. Why is it wrong to buy a pair and just want to be like your Heros? I know plenty that have done just that. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I see plenty of people who are in the all the gear no idea camp. It's up to them if they don't want to accept good advice and buy a product beyond their level against your better judgement. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got Head RS80s as well - they're entry level race boot if anything, but hey, they fit well and certainly didn;t hold me back in the powder last week. Where did you get them? I got mine from Nevada in Tignes in January '07 - TBH I'm more nothered about getting a boot that fits and works then having this season's colours
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks guys for all your top advice. I got them in morzine last week. I tried a lot of boots and he thought the lange or head where best for my feet. Had problems with salomon in the past. The head felt tighter all round and so better. He said the boots are as good if not better than most of the other boots of the shelf. A top ski boot he said. It's dissappointing to come home after paying just under £300 for the boots, fitting and custom made soles to find out they are 2 years old and on sale in the UK for half the price. Also worrying is that they are race boots. I am an intermediate skier used to piste but not as a racer ! I feel i need a boot to help improve my skiing. Not making it more difficult. But the guy in the shop appeared to be a real expert and so I took his advice on the boot and fitting. Told me it's a 110 flex or can change down to 90. Not that I understand the higher lower flex thing Happy told me it's a perfect fit and geared for a high end intermediate skier. Never once mentioned racer. Maybe he thought I looked a nutter with money to spend !!
Glad to hear NBT that your enjoying your boots. Spyderman - wasn't looking to copy any heroes. Just needed some help on a good boot which isn't the easiest when the boot fitter doesn't speak perfect english Happy I have to trust him and hope it all works out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kiltedlad, As I stated earlier, they're not really proper race boots, they're just like buying a Subaru WRX for £25k, it might look like a £250k rally car on the outside, but it's very different under the skin.

Quote:
Quite simply there are Race Boots and there are Race Boots, whay you see on Bode Miller's feet is not the same thing as you buy in a shop. it might look the same but his is a way stiffer model made from different plastics. If the Boots fit and you can flex them OK, then you've got no problem with having them.

My comments about shops selling real race boots to unsuspecting souls, was not aimed at yourself, it was in reply to SMALLZOOKEEPER. like the guy in the shop suggested, what you have bought is aimed at high intermediates to advanced skiers, not real racers, who would be wearing a very different animal altogether on their feet, instead of your boots 110 - 90 flex, try 150 flex, so 50% stiffer than you have got.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kiltedlad, welcome to snowHeads.

It's the fit that's really important & it sounds like they fit you great & that you're skiing well in them. It's always a bummer when you buy something & then find out you could have got in cheaper elsewhere but look at the service you've got in that you've been able to ski 'em in resort & have minor tweaks done during the week (for free I presume) which is something that's more difficult to do if you buy back home. The retailer will have paid full price for them so if they're brand new & they've been no major changes to the model I think it's ok that the retailer makes his full margin.

How tall/heavy are you? I'm 176cm/89kg & more advanced than you but have no problem at all flexing my new 110 flex Atomics. I'm not familair with your specific boot but if you find them too stiff there's usually a rear bolt or similar that can be removed etc to reduce the flex(?) before the shells need more skilled work to soften them.

Although height/weight does assist flexing the boot there is also an element of technique required so before having anything radical done to them get an instructor to give you the once over. Properly testing flex is difficult without skis as there's nothing to lever against so try 'em in your skis as home. In a warm home environment you should be easily able to fully flex the boots when clipped in your bindings.

And as the guy's above have said, pucka race boots are waaay stiffer than 110.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy