Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

problems holding turns on one side

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My level I feel is an unconfident but generally able skiier. I've skiied 4 weeks, and am more than comfortable skiing blues and easy reds with parallel turns. Last weekend I was in Les Arcs and seriously found myself struggling down a difficult red, I felt that turning one way I just wasn't in control and couldn't hold the turn and this led to myself falling over. This is seriously denting my confidence and I find myself getting to the top of what I know is a difficult red and stopping with "the fear"

I have a week coming up soon and I have some private lessons booked, but perhaps a bit of advice would give me more confidence? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Liz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
liz09, I had the EXACT same problem.

The two things I did to sort this were:

1. I got my gym instructor to give me individual leg exercises, because it turned out that my left leg was alot weaker than my right. This involved using all of the leg machines on one leg at a time. Also single leg squats with a ball at my back against a wall, and travelling lunges. Both my legs are now equal in strength. (I don't think there's any way to do individual legs in BodyPump class. You could ask tho.)

2. I bought properly fitting boots from Blues. My old boots were too wide. Now, they always say that one or your feet is bigger than the other. So I reckon one boot was even more too wide than the other.

Well, I don't know which one of these did the trick or if it was a combination of both, but I seem to be able to turn both ways ok now. I wonder if a big part of it was me believing that my strength and the boots would make a difference - to give me confidence to relax and just do it.

hope this helps a wee bit anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
liz09, You probably just have one leg that is very dominant. Have some lessons, and work on the 'weak turn'. You'll be fine. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's nice to know it's not just me, and that it can be fixed! I'm trying to work on leg strength at the moment and will try some exercises on my weak leg. I think lessons will do me the world of good if I address the weak turns at the beginning.

Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
liz09, I've got the same problem and have asked a similar question in the past. Overall consensus was that everyone has a good side and a bad side and that you should try to do extra practice on the weak side. Also make sure your bootsa fit well. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
liz09, just keep turning one way Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
liz09, I had (and occasionally still have) a problem with right turns since my right leg is very dominant over the left. Left turns require a lot more concentration and if I'm skiing like a muppet, it's the right turns which suffer. The advice I was given was to turn only on the downhill leg. This got my body in the correct position. Previously I was leaning into the hill onto my strong leg when things got sticky. Hope this helps Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
liz09, good advice from ang I'd say.... also an element of 'performance anxiety' can creep in in these situations, so re-build your confidence by hammering in some good long (really hold the edge) turns on your weaker side on a wide easy blue.

One other point I'd make is that maybe you had skis that didn't suit you last time? Always worth changing them, hire shops are normally fine with it...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find that even now, if I'm doing exercises when I'm turning on the 'wrong' ski, I feel far more in control in one direction than another.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im weakest turning left.

Maybe cos I'm left footed when I play football, and feel a lot more control with that foot. I'm not sure if it is stronger than my right foot though, because although I kick the ball with my left, the right foot is the standing foot so gets plenty of use.

liz09, not sure what your excuse is, but if you struggle turning to the direction of your best kicking foot, we may have found a link Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The gospel according to Warren Smith http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski_biomechanics-physiology_about-ski-biomechanics.htm

Probably one of the biggest things he focuses during his week long ski courses
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
liz09, I'd suggest finding an easier slope and work on getting the same 'feeling' on turns in both directions. Focus on getting the same feeling from your ski's on your 'weaker side' that you do on your 'strong' side.

When you do get onto something a little steeper be sure to link your turns together and find a good rhythm with your turns - counting can help. Picking the best line from the top, both in terms of the best snow and the roll of the slope will make it as easy as possible for you. It's also wise to avoid doing a turn, tracking across and down the slop, reaching the side and then being 'forced' into the next.

The other thing to be aware of is the psychology - be careful not to talk your self out of being able to do it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
liz09, Just a word on the individual leg strength exercises:

I have kind of hurt the hip on my weak leg. I saw the physio today. there is no damamge done - i have just 'niggled' it.

He says he's definitely in favour of the individual leg exercises, but I have probably just been trying to work it too hard too quickly. I can still continue with the exercises, but just reduce the weights and build them up more gradually.

So, if you do work the weak leg, just be careful and take your time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy