Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stinky Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
For some reason I get very sweaty hands when I ski (gloves too effective? white knuckle grip on poles?) and so after a day out they smell like some of the stronger cheeses that tastes lovely with a good bottle of red.

Not wishing to eat my gloves on crackers or bread after my creme brulee, I would rather really like them to be bacteria free and smell remotely human again.

Can I merely put them in the washing machine? Will that affect water proof qualities?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, use something like Nikwax Tech wash on a low heat
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, It's the same fungal/bacteria infestation as stinky feet and athletes foot. wash as above but each morning rub well into your hands and fingers a small dab of extra-virgin coconut oil or preferably Vicks Vapour Rub. Both will fix the problem at the root cause. Just make sure that they are well rubbed in and there's not a greasy slime soaking into your gloves. Works for your feet and boots too.

Small word of caution, the coconut oil can be used for massage and mutual pleasure . . . the Vicks' isn't recommended for the same purpose Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Small word of caution, the coconut oil can be used for massage and mutual pleasure . . . the Vicks' isn't recommended for the same purpose

Speaking from experience, eh Masque, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones, she wasn't happy . . . . . (understatement)

Peter Leuzzi, I wear good quality cycling gloves, thin, semi-waterproof, wind-proof and easily washable, but in my pack is a pair of lightweight fleece gloves rolled into a pair of simple unlined Goretex overmitts (Blacks Outdoors walking gear) for if it gets truly horrendous.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 26-01-08 13:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'Cum on baby light my fire' Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickB, Will that not make them waterproof on the inside and then even more sweaty ? If so you could use the spray on waterproofer just on the outside after washing maybe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty, exactly what I thought.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty wrote:
NickB, Will that not make them waterproof on the inside and then even more sweaty ? If so you could use the spray on waterproofer just on the outside after washing maybe
It's the stuff that's widely recommended for washing Gore-Tex*.

The answer is: YES (to the first part)

BUT, Gore-Tex is waterproof in both directions. It's breathable because it allows water vapour through whilst preventing water droplets from passing through.

* other breathable products are available Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like the idea of the vick, I wonder if talc that you can get for your socks to stop smells would also work rubbed on your hands just before putting on gloves or even sprinkled inside or would that clog up some of these performance membranes that gloves have in them?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
is there favorite location for acquiring coconut oil?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daehwons, any good health food shop . . . you can eat it as well. It looks like wax but melts rapidly at body temp so keep it somewhere cool.

Megamum, The talc tends to clump up, is not as effective and can make weather chapped and split cuticles even more degraded and painful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, Ah, I assumed there would be a good reason for not using it - I'd never seen anyone use it, but just thought it was worth the thought.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for the obvious question: were your gloves actually breathable in the first place Peter Leuzzi? Not all are. A mate had a similar problem, tried all sorts, ended up buying new more-breathable gloves. Problem now much better.

Hand wash yours with soap flakes, rinse well. Spray outside with spray-on waterproofer. Don't do the talc thing, that is bonkers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, I think my gloves are breathable (emphasise "think" as I dont know for sure).

It all kicked off last Easter in Obergurgl when it was very hot (23 degrees at bottom station/resort level at midday one day). Frankly everything was stinky on everyone (kids included), but my gloves were particularly putrid/infamous and I noticed a slight wiff the other day on a warmer day!
latest report
Is machine wash okay, pre-spray on?
latest report
the ice perv, I didn't suggest that any one did DO the talc thing, I merely questioned its possible use in an open ended manner.
snow report
Why the emphasis on waterproofing? We boarders spend a bit of our time stroking Winter's hoary pudenda so we need a modicum of liquid resistance, but it doesn't need to be at 'Marigold' level so why are we being obsessive of it in this thread (or any other for that matter). I'd have thought that keeping your hands temperature regulated and the sweat moving away from the skin and out of the glove will be by far the most important function. . . .?

But I do have hot hands and good circulation so you'll find me on the hill with what many would think of as ridiculously thin gloves . . . but I don't suffer, they'll dry completely on a radiator over lunch and can be washed while having a shower in the evening. I do ALWAYS carry backup in my pack.

Perhaps people with sweaty hands should try something other than a TOG24 duvet for their fingers wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 27-01-08 15:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Masque, are you related to Brian Sewell?
snow conditions
Hurtle, only aesthetically wink
ski holidays
Masque, wink
ski holidays
Masque, think you are right actually. I was just thinking how often I am skiing in hard core almost wet conditions and reckon its very rare if ever. I can only remember having wet gloves in and out;

a) when I was a boarder

b) last weekend and it really wasn't the end of the world, and

c) through sweat wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Is machine wash okay, pre-spray on?

Modern detergent residue is supposed to be detrimental to waterproofing. So if you really must machine wash then give them a repeat rinse cycle or two.
snow conditions
Peter do the current gloves have any sort of labels/ brand names? Many of the 'breathable fabric' companies are keen to stick their name over everything.
ski holidays
You could of course buy some new gloves and swap the pairs each day so they don't get so rank? Then worry about washing when you get back...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy