Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bill making helmets mandatory proposed in Michigan State

Poster: A snowHead
Skiers and snowboarders without head protection may find a $100 fine waiting for them at the bottom of the slope in Michigan, if a new bill calling for mandatory helmets is passed....Source: http://blog.mlive.com:80/cns/2008/01/helmet_requirement_pushed_for.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whatever happened to the land of the free and the home of the brave?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
Whatever happened to the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Lawyers, class actions and compensation claims!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtr, funnily enough that was just what I was thinking...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been saying for a while that the day of compulsory helmet wearing is not far of. Personally I think it is a good thing snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, do you like forcing people to behave as you wish? Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, I can't see how anything which further erodes my right to make my own judgements can be described as a 'good thing'. I take it you would approve of a complete ban on all wintersports because people have been known to hurt themselves now and then while participating?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, achilles, I'm bored with you both arguing against helmets. Bones heal, head traumas don't. Risks occur in all sports sometimes you can reduce them though. I think the law will get ahead of your opinions in time. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
thefatcontroller, do you like forcing people to behave as you wish? Shocked

From a man involved with a man only club where women can visit as guests rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, um, I wasn't arguing against helmets. In fact, I shall be looking for a possible replacement for my Scott one next week. But I am very much against being told what to do, unless it is clearly for the overwhelming interest of society (and I can't see it is with helmets). Like you, I suspect the law will get 'ahead' of me on this - but I think that's sad, not cool. 'controller' in your sH name seems appropriate - it maybe what you like. Personally, I don't like being 'controlled'.

Fail to see what a social club's rules for it's own premises has to do with the threat of imposed behaviour control by a state authority - but whatever turns you on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm bored with you both arguing against helmets

You have entirely missed the point. I object to pompous nitwits dictating my every move, not helmets nor the wearers thereof. I'm an adult - I don't need some pious twerp making my judgements for me, thank you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
Fail to see what a social club's rules for it's own premises has to do with the threat of imposed behaviour control by a state authority - but whatever turns you on.

Rules, rules, rules..........women turn me on, obviously something strange about a club that doesn't like women Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
You have entirely missed the point. I object to pompous nitwits dictating my every move, not helmets nor the wearers thereof. I'm an adult - I don't need some pious twerp making my judgements for me, thank you.

Thats like saying anyone should be able to ski anywhere in a resort but no you can't. Pious twerps put piste markers up warning of dangers and wow, ban, people from skiing in certain areas. Whatever you opinion the law will get ahead of you in the near future...... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, what on earth are you raving about? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I think its to late for you and a helmet. Nothing to protect Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller,

1. I do in fact wear a helmet, since I have one for boarding anyway - this is irrelevant to the point being made.
2. You are being an offensive twerp.
3. You have evidently totally missed the point of what is in fact a really rather simple argument.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Name calling is so juvenile Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I'm bored with you both arguing against helmets

Full marks!
snow conditions
laundryman, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
The New Jersey state legislature took up the mandatory ski helmet issue several years ago.

I write a snowsport column for the Times of Trenton newspaper and a ski and snowboard blog for nj.com.

Here is the link to a column I wrote about the issue back in 2001.

http://blog.nj.com/skiing/2008/01/flashback_n_j_ski_helmet_bill.html

Seven year later, New Jersey still does not have a ski helmet law.

Martin Griff
snow report
photogriff, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
photogriff, Welcome. You need to start playing the lottery Cool . You just register with snowHead 's and on the same day you register the first thread you find is one realated to something you have written about. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm glad i found this site - there's a lot of good information on it.

The lottery would make me a poor man. . .

I registered after I found this thread. It is easy to be a winner when you know the results before hand.

Martin
latest report
photogriff, Right then, any horse racing tips for tomorrow wink Laughing You pro, anti or not bothered by the wearing of helmets? snowHead
ski holidays
I don't know why the wearing of motorcycle helmets was made compulsory in the UK, but I guess if it lessened the amount of tax payers cash spent caring for head injuries caused by accidents in the NHS it could be argued that there was a point to making the wearing of motorcycle helmets compulsory. However, this is more difficult to argue in a country that has private health care where it would make more sense for insurance companies covering individuals skiing to insist on it.

A good reason to wear them might be to benefit the piste patrols - I guess its one thing to expend effort recovering someone with a broken leg and who has a reasonable chance of a recovery to active life - psycologically quite rewarding I should think. Quite another to expend time and effort for someone dying of a head injury who perhaps doesn't make it down or else dies soon after. I've seen the effect of a fatality on friends within the volunteers of St John Ambulance - not good or easy to live with. Maybe for this reason alone the authorities see legislating for the use of helmets a good thing.
latest report
Megamum, if it was that bad surely the volunteers would stop volunteering?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, one could use the "save the NHS money" argument to take complete control of everyone's life - and some do.
ski holidays
I wear a helmet, and both my wife and daughter wear helmets, so I guess I’m pro helmet for the people I care about.

One of the problems with the New Jersey Bill that did not pass in 2001 was that it made the ski areas responsible for enforcing the law. The resorts would have to “card” children who do usually don’t carry official IDs and the resorts would be fined if an underage child didn't wear a helmet on their slopes.

The other problem is that New Jersey, like Michigan, with its relatively small ski areas, is in no position to be on the cutting edge of ski-helmet law. In New Jersey, those who don't want to obey such a law could just as easily ski Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains or the Catskills of New York, where ski helmets are not required.

From reading the story about the helmet bill in Michigan, I conclude that Michigan legislature works in the same bizarre way that the New Jersey legislature often works. . . According to the story, “The bill calls for a $100 fine for those caught without helmets, but Constan said that fines would not be strictly enforced.

"I don't want to see someone with a $100 fine who's an experienced skier," Constan said, "but the time has come to encourage people to wear helmets when skiing."

What kind of direction is that for the people who must enforce this law in Michigan?

So to answer your questions, I’m pro helmets, anti helmet laws and bet on the fastest horse.

Martin
ski holidays
i love it when legislators say that their law should be applied selectively rolling eyes
ski holidays
photogriff, I can see the day coming when hlemts are compulsory but perhaps through the insurance companies refusing insurance to non helmets wearers?
snow report
Quote:
I don't want to see someone with a $100 fine who's an experienced skier," Constan said, "but the time has come to encourage people to wear helmets when skiing.

Quote:
i love it when legislators say that their law should be applied selectively rolling eyes

I agree. How many times do we here "we must send a message"? Adverts are for sending messages, laws should be only to STOP people doing things considered undesirable and are worse than useless if not enforced. Fewer laws, better enforcement, please!
ski holidays
And everyone thought the compulsory wearing of seatbelts, motorcycle helmets were stupid laws..... Confused
snow conditions
There should be a law against fat people. They're a menace to themselves and a burden on the NHS. rolling eyes
snow report
laundryman, Agreed Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

And everyone thought the compulsory wearing of seatbelts, motorcycle helmets were stupid laws.....

I still do NehNeh
latest report
if it was phrased 'protective headgear' you could get away with the likes of a D30 foam hat. if a law for helemts in non-competitive situations passes next thing all skiers will be in neck braces and full body suits or getting fined.
snow report
Thats America. Yet you can drive around in a death trap auto until it dies....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy