Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backwards

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Anybody got any top tips on skiing backwards? I'm quite at ease merrily ploughing away, but I don't seem to be able to start making any 'proper' turns...

Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look over your outside shoulder.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twin tips
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1 wrote:
twin tips

Really necessary?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:

Will that just make it happen? Wow! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stop @rsing about and go forwards like normal people?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
acute_angina wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Will that just make it happen? Wow! wink

It helps a lot, in my very limited experience of skiing switch. Try it next time you're on snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Start by just having one ski facing backwards (i.e. do half a kick turn and then set off) until you get the feel for it Toofy Grin

(I have actually seen this done by one of our boarding instructors on Dendix using quite short skis Shocked Laughing )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
acute_angina, depends how fast / extreme you want to go!

As an instructor i quite often ski backwards in snowplough / basic parallel, but i wouldn't want to start carving at speed without twin tips!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing backwards is great fun! I love gliding the skis from a foward position to a backwards. It looks proper smooth when properly done.

I can only do it on a relatively easy blue or green.

If i want to make small turns pressure the outside ski like in a parralel turn, it seems to work for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Twin tips not nesecarry but a much easier way of doing things

Reverse your stance Do the opposite to going forward to load up the back of the skis (LEAN BACK A TAD

Watch where you are going Very Important!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Keep your weight centred, especially if not on twins !

The outside shoulder thing does tend to move your body the right way.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoda wrote:
Start by just having one ski facing backwards (i.e. do half a kick turn and then set off) until you get the feel for it Toofy Grin

(I have actually seen this done by one of our boarding instructors on Dendix using quite short skis Shocked Laughing )

Wouldn't you have to have a dislocated hip to do that??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, why? I'm getting more inflexible now but I can still almost get one foot at 180 deg to the other. No problem for youngsters Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easiski taught me how to ski backwards in the summer - she told me to look over my outside shoulder too. I think it's easier to start skiing backwards from a pirouette turn than just starting from scratch. The problem with race skis is that they can plough into the snow behind you while twin tips ride over it. I am hiring twin tips when I go skiing at half term.
snow report
Stay tall (ish), weight slightly heel (ish). As you start the turn look straight up the hill, then over the outside shoulder (for a skiddy turn). If you want to carve pick a shoulder to look over and stick with it (yes you will get a crick in the neck). Its all a confidence thing really. Be really aware of your blind spot (makes people sympathise with boarders when they try skiing backwards...!).
ski holidays
Yoda, almost is the operative word there.....I can get one foot round easily but I don't think I could ski like that!!
snow report
acute_angina, get used to doing 360s on snow, both ways. if you ever get in trouble going backwards, you can get back to normal. the other thing to do is just use the outside ski for turning and the inside ski as a glorified stabiliser.
ski holidays
Thanks everybody

- even yoda.... Wink I used to be able to rollerskate like that, but to ski? Surely that's a whole world of more difficult than plain old backwards?
snow report
One thing I was told... don't look over your shoulder, tuck your neck a little and look round it.
ski holidays
Skiing backwards is easy peasy, doing it to order is quite something else Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I spent Tuesday's 'interesting' weather in Les Arcs cruising around some blues (mainly Charmettoger) perfecting my switch technique. For me it was mainly getting the confidence to go backwards and know that I was fully in control and if things got messy I could snowplough and control myself. From there I just tried to emulate what I was doing normally, while going switch. After some experimentation it eventually all came together. Although I seem to have great difficulty turning right, but I can turn left without even thinking about it Confused

Still haven't found the bottle to jump switch yet, but that'll be my next aim in Val Thorens rolling eyes
ski holidays
Disclaimer: I'm a crap skier at heart, so that might not be the best advice ever rolling eyes
latest report
With all that advice on board (well, on skis), I went off to Bardonecchia last week - had a 2hour freestyle session with a chap by the name of Chicho - he pretty much echoed the sum of knowledge given here (apart from Yoda's sideways suggestion!). We hung on to our twin-tips that we'd been given for the lesson and spent a lot of the second half of the week going backwards. Leaning backwards is a funny old thing, isn't it. Goes against everything we're ever taught. Anyhoooo, for what it's worth I found that sliding my uphill ski backwards (i.e. in the direction of travel) really helped to initiate the turn when combined with looking over the outside shoulder. Just as soon as I get round to popping the video of me looking OK for a bit before nearly falling over up on to youtube, I'll post a link here.
snow conditions
Beware. My son did a whole long (blue) run backwards in front of me, last season. Next day his neck was so stiff he was like an old man.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy