Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Fish talks about snow

Poster: A snowHead
Well, at least he talks about snow if you put the words into his mouth:

This looks to be Fish well before his landmark 1987 hurricane broadcast - but snow is far more interesting than hurricanes anyway - so what did our moustachioed hero have to say about this dramatic Scottish blizzard?

[Acknowledgments to SkiBeard on www.winterhighland.com for borrowing the pic. And acknowledgments to Britain's favourite weatherman, recently retired - hopefully living it up in the powder]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully the blizzards will hide my hideous tie...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, The 1987 hurricane was pretty interesting if you were staying in a caravn in the middle of the Surrey forest as I was! Shocked

We should all encourage Michael Fish to say that it WON'T snow - that'll do it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
<LURK MODE \OFF>

Point of order! NehNeh

The 1987 hurricane wasn't actually a hurricane at all. Hurricanes are very large, powerful tropical storms which form in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Great Storm of 87 produced hurricane force winds, but was no more a hurricane than it was a typhoon or a tropical cyclone.

<LURK MODE \ON>

NehNeh

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 22-11-04 0:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julie Brown, Welcome to snowHeads!

I can see I might have serious competition for "pedant-in-chief"!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome Julie Brown ! while we're doing pedantry Wink - a hurricane can also be a generic term for a "wind of hurricane force", a waterspout, a storm of words (mid 17th century), not to mention a "large crowded assembly of fashionable people at a private house" (mid 18th century, early 19th)... Shocked (what sort of private house, I wonder?)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, laundryman, in fact I think you'll find that

a. you are not, at this time "pedant-in-chief" as you have not been elected as such
b. if so, you would be Chief Pedant, but you're not
c. "competition" surely implies some type of rules and, of course, competitors, which would involve notification to interested parties that such a "competition" was taking place in order that others could achieve the status of "competitors". In order to declare a winner there would have to be some reasonable timescale involved between such notification and declaration of the "winner"
d. Who would judge this contest? Under whose authority?

We should be told.
Julie Brown, did you really know what you were letting yourself in for? Welcome anyway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scream, I think the word "might" is my get-out-of-jail-free card Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, as a convicted felon, I think you "might" find that your civil liberties are severely compromised and, if you wish to continue making such rash claims, I shall be forced to notify David Blunkett. Your get-out-of-jail free must be surrendered immediately or your next parole application will not be considered favourably.
Sad
How on earth did we get here from hurricanes? There must be some true pedant out there who can explain.
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG wrote:
a "large crowded assembly of fashionable people at a private house" (mid 18th century, early 19th)

PG, do you think that in modern usage, this meaning could be extended to gatherings of a virtual nature? Could it be that snowHeads itself is a hurricane?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, no, note the reference to "fashionable people". After viewing the delightful pictures of romper suits elsewhere on this forum, I don't think we would qualify. However, what is reality, what is virtuality? Cogito ergo scum, perchance?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, a blizzard of snowHeads might be a more suitable collective term? No ambiguity with blizzard, it turned up in the late 19th century with its current meaning, origin uncertain, although in the US in the earlier part of that century it meant a sharp blow, or a knock....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG wrote:
Welcome Julie Brown ! while we're doing pedantry Wink - a hurricane can also be a generic term for a "wind of hurricane force",

It can, but....

..a force 12 wind is wind of hurricane force. Which is not by definition a hurricane. My trumpet can make a sound like an elephant but it is not an elephant. Come to think of it, so can my husband and he is no elephant, I can tell you!

If the Met Office had been on the ball they would have issued a force twelve gale warning and told people to expect hurricane force winds. However, they could not have issued a hurricane warning.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julie Brown, True, but even sticklers for form have to admit that language is an ever-evolving thing, and today's OED provides for the colloquial use of the term, as mentioned above. A hurricane may not be a Hurricane, but it's still a hurricane by definition through accepted usage, as it were! Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Julie Brown wrote:
My trumpet can make a sound like an elephant but it is not an elephant.

Laughing That reminds me of last night's concert. I looked around but, alas, no elephants in sight. Mind you, that section makes elephant noises without their instruments.
ski holidays
PG, , I see what you mean. You are right of course. Since everyone mistakenly called the Great Storm of 1987 a hurricane, and continue to do so, that 17 years of common usage has given the word a different meaning. A term which was wrong in a certain context at one point in time becomes correct if everyone uses it in that context for long enough.

I wonder is meteorological science is taught differently now as a result?

By the way, thanks everyone for the nice welcome.
latest report
Well I slept through it! Woke up to no electricity, no garden fences, a tree on the car and a load of roof tiles missing Smile
latest report
And I was lying on a beach somewhere on a beach in Skiathos oblivious to whatever you pedants want to call it...... wink
ski holidays
I think where the confusion comes in, is that the storm was the after effect of a hurricane. It's the same weather system, it's just no longer classified as a hurricane. Just like some of the gales we got this autumn were the tail end of the hurricanes that were widely reported in the carribean/States.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy