Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

learning to ski off piste

Poster: A snowHead
comprex wrote:
eng_ch, not the same in all details, but the extension is similar. Yoda's experiment requires far less out-of-static-balance sensation.

Yes. I'm worried about concepts at this stage more than degree. If I overcook it, I'll stack it anyway
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah I see some more posts have appeared whilst I was composing that one Toofy Grin Yes, as you become more adept you will be able to "carve" more in the powder, allowing the skis to run further out. But still, this is not a "heel push" initiation Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda wrote:
Does that movement involve any "heel pushing"? Moving the skis by "heel pushing" involves rotating the whole ski around a vertical axis which passes through the tip of the ski. Moving the ski by "rotary, steering or whatever you like to call it" involves turning the ski around a vertical axis passing through its centre.

The answer is "yes" it involves "heel pushing" as that is the effect I feel - it's the consequence of what's happening and is where my heels end up - BUT the vertical axis is through the centre. So we are, in fact, singing from the same hymn sheet, just defining our terms differently it seems. Phew Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda wrote:
eng_ch, sorry I didn't intend to cause any Embarassed 's Little Angel Let's see if I can describe more meaningfully - if you are travelling straight down your nice gentle slope and you want the parts of the skis in front of your feet to deviate to the left, say, then this must mean that the parts of the skis behind your feet move to your right of the "straight (fall) line" that you have hitherto been travelling down. So you are right, the skis do cross the fall line. The big question is, do the skis move to that angle by you "pushing out your heels" as you put it, or do you feel that you can impart a "twisting" movement to the skis by using your feet and legs in a way which I am finding difficult to describe in words but is very easy to feel when you do it Confused If you sit on a chair lift without a foot rest can you turn both skis together (that is, rotate them around the notional centres of the skis directly beneath your feet) using your legs? The answer I hope is yes Toofy Grin Does that movement involve any "heel pushing"? Moving the skis by "heel pushing" involves rotating the whole ski around a vertical axis which passes through the tip of the ski. Moving the ski by "rotary, steering or whatever you like to call it" involves turning the ski around a vertical axis passing through its centre.

OK, I verily believe that I can do that like an absolute charm on the piste. When I try it in powder, nothing happens, the skis don't seem to rotate at all. (Then I try and force the issue. Then I fall over.) Why? Is it just because I'm being too impatient?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
OK, I verily believe that I can do that like an absolute charm on the piste. When I try it in powder, nothing happens, the skis don't seem to rotate at all. (Then I try and force the issue. Then I fall over.) Why? Is it just because I'm being too impatient?

As I struggle through this mire of "concept-grasping disorder", upon reflection I think most rotary movements I've hitherto done on piste tend to be quick - because they seem to be intended for speed control or rapid reactions. If you're happy with the speed and not a danger to yourself or anyone else on piste, then why rotate when you can edge? So - from the excellent helpful posts above - it could be a working hypothesis that you/we are trying to effect these movements too quickly - for the purpose of speed control because we are not yet comfortable with the speed/balance ratio in powder? I've been working on upping my ambient speed on piste for this very reason, so that I'll be happier with the requisite speed in powder - but it may well be that I've not got the balance thing nailed on a less firm surface underfoot. I wonder if it's like the difference between balancing on a boat and on dry land?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch,
Quote:

could be a working hypothesis that you/we are trying to effect these movements too quickly

I'll go with that.
Quote:

I've not got the balance thing nailed on a less firm surface underfoot

And that.

Please will you let me know how you get on next week? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, shall I measure it in volumes of snow swallowed??! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
eng_ch, Hurtle, do you two really think as much about all this when you're actually trying to ski ? No wonder it's hard going ! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, very fair point Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, hehe. No, the point of this exercise is to find things to try with a view to being able to feel what's right so I don't have to think so much! The rest is a communication exercise (are what you call apples the same as I understand by apples) Wink In fact, on thinking about it, the whole thing is a communication exercise because I clearly haven't understood what I've been told/instructed in the past. This "take it back to learning-the-alphabet basics" is actually very helpful
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No more thinking from me for a while as I'm off to Austria in the morning Laughing

But yes, whilst there is an old adage about speed being your friend, when you are trying to learn how to stand and move in the deep stuff too much speed is not very helpful I find rolling eyes "Too much" being that which persuades your brain that a quick, gross or other inappropriate move is necessary but which just leads to yet another fall rolling eyes Hence the recommendation to find a shallow slope if you can.

Have fun Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoda, enjoy and thanks a million! I've got a week to try this out in now and, if there's any fresh, I've already found a good slope to play on
snow conditions
 brian
brian
eng_ch, looking at your piste map, I am liking the look of that lift at the rhs above Flims with no marked pistes. In fact there is a lot of itinerary action going on there. Are they trying to go after an off-piste market ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, yes I think they are, but that area is also the main attraction in the summer. How long that lift survives and what it is replaced with when it goes is another question, though. You see, the lift is very old and the lift company say it costs 10 times more per passenger to operate than any other lift, they want to decommission it early, before the concession ends, and don't want the costs of replacement. The Gemeinde on the other hand is adamant that some sort of link up there must stay otherwise they can wave bye bye to summer business. So what will happen is the subject of some hot discussions, especially on the Alpinforum that you directed me to. Personally I think it would be darn shame if they lost that as a skiing area as the controlled freeride areas are definitely a USP. However, there is also a lot of serious back-country off the back of the ridges and you can ski as far as Elm if you want and are able. I keep meaning to get the ski touring map for the area for refernce

Now you see why I want to get this powder thing cracked!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
eng_ch, sounds like a bargaining position to me. wink
snow conditions
Yoda, thanks from me as well, and I hope I'm not too late to wish you a great time. You too eng_ch,
ski holidays
Four years ago I had two massive vertigo and panic attacks when on an off piste improvers group in St Anton. Which was quite daft, because technically I was the best skier in the group. I felt quite embarrassed about it, and I'm also quite competitive and can't stand not being good at something so I've been really practicing hard these last couple of years and now I'm by no means an expert off piste, but I can ski most pitches in most conditions, and manage to look ok doing it. A few tips I've picked up whilst I've been learning-

Steep is your friend up to a point. Too flat a pitch and it'll be grabbing at your skis making you feel unstable, and out of control. Speed is most definitely your friend.

Having a bomb proof stem turn is worthwhile, it'll get you out of most situations, although to ski off piste stylishly you need many different skills, as the way that you turn depends on snow conditions and terrain.

When you set off, point down the fall line initially and then turn out of it, rather than start off across it then turn down into and across it as most people do.

Some find bouncing on their skis a few times before they make their first turn helps them get a rhythm.

Make gentle movements as if making love to a beautiful woman. wink

Fat skis help.

Get someone to show you how to put your skis on in deep snow.

Fall over a few times, you'll soon find it's part of the fun, especially when the snow is deep.

Get some lessons.

Go out with a guided introduction group.

Keep on practicing, it will click, and if you can ski reasonably competently on the piste, then there's no reason that you won't be able to do it off piste.

And at the risk of starting a huge row and derailing a thread, if you really want to learn to ski off piste and powder then go to one of the North America resorts that let's you ski where you want inbounds and that gets huge amounts of snowfall, like Whistler for example.
snow conditions
Oh and one last thing. When it does 'click' prepare for the bug to bite all over again. Spend another fortune on back country gear. Double the price of your holiday by hiring guides. Seriously consider whether you can afford £4000 to go heliskiing. If you get it really bad then start to think about getting a touring set up and walking up hills to get to the other side. Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Kramer, absolutely couldn't agree more: particularly with your last point Laughing snowHead

Tips 1 and 3 I found were particularly useful.

Steep slopes are easier to get a good rhythm on; the thing I found hardest to get my head round was dropping through the fall line and letting the bend in the skis turn me without forcing it or bottling out. After that I was to be found on nothing but steep gladed runs all week snowHead
ski holidays
Kramer, OMG I'm approaching that...
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

As I struggle through this mire of "concept-grasping disorder", upon reflection I think most rotary movements I've hitherto done on piste tend to be quick - because they seem to be intended for speed control or rapid reactions. If you're happy with the speed and not a danger to yourself or anyone else on piste, then why rotate when you can edge? So - from the excellent helpful posts above - it could be a working hypothesis that you/we are trying to effect these movements too quickly - for the purpose of speed control because we are not yet comfortable with the speed/balance ratio in powder? I've been working on upping my ambient speed on piste for this very reason, so that I'll be happier with the requisite speed in powder - but it may well be that I've not got the balance thing nailed on a less firm surface underfoot. I wonder if it's like the difference between balancing on a boat and on dry land?

Wha? Really, it's not that complicated. If you are going too fast, fall over - sounds like you do this already, that stops you. Seriously, skiing is really easy - skiing well is hard, but thats just finesse. Learn that later...

How many concepts do you need to grasp? Lean a bit left, go a bit left. Lean a lot left, go a lot left. Lean too much left, fall over: Learning curve - no-one ever learns any other way. It's all about going, not stopping.

Hic.
latest report
Kramer, great stuff, thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch

If I remember from my day out at Laax last year, there was a perfect pitch for skiing off piste around the Alp Dado drag lift ( i think).....I just hope you get some new snow to practise in Smile

Crap picture but hopefully you can work out where I am talking about

Whilst I agree with Kramer that you will have a better chance of skiing powder safely in the US, off piste skiing is alot more than just being able to ski powder, and I think you get a bigger range of skills/conditons in Europe.
snow report
kitenski, agreed that it's about more than powder but the other reason that I'd recommend North America in the policy of letting people ski anywhere inbounds which means as a relatively inexperienced skier you can just get on with it.
snow report
Kramer, thats so true, the in bounds "off piste" skiing in aspen was as good as any i have seen anywhere, and before i went i had only had one days off piste with a guide in iscghl last year.
and now after a week trying things out on all kinds of pitches i now feel able to give it a go anywhere. heliskiing here i come Laughing
snow report
Kramer wrote:
kitenski, agreed that it's about more than powder but the other reason that I'd recommend North America in the policy of letting people ski anywhere inbounds which means as a relatively inexperienced skier you can just get on with it.

The downside to that is that all the easily accessed, easily straightlined terrain is tracked out by the second hour.
snow report
comprex, depends where you go...Whistler maybe
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, yes, I can see where that is! Thanks. The other place that seems to be good for playing on is the Falera run.
ski holidays
Sharkymark, it is true of about any area in NA that actually gets powder and is large enough to be called a destination resort. Rule of thumb: If there is "night life", there ain't no beginner powder.

For example, I used to really like the Strawberry Express area at Snowbasin to take beginner powder skiers. The layout is absolutely perfect for beginner powder skiers who are actually good on random chopped terrain, as it is shaped like an upside-down funnel.

Thus, the steeper, narrower section at the top got tracked out fast, and formed fairly dense crud or porridge that most piste intermediates can handle if they can handle the visual impression of it. Then, when their hyperkinetic energies were worn down by jump turns or whatever high-exertion method they used to handle the top, the wide part of the funnel arrived, a very gentle open alpine meadow that anyone could just straightline, or play with very easy, very low-effort turns on. The pre-exhaustion actually helped matters, as one would be less tempted to overcorrect, oversteer, with sheer panicky muscle power.

Unfortunately, it has been discovered for like 4 years at least and is now tracked out entirely, an hour after the storm ends. Much like similar areas at Snowbird (Mineral Basin) or Alta or Brighton or PCMR or Breckenridge or ...
snow report
comprex, fair enough! I was thinking about the smaller places.

eng_ch, is that the ridiculously long drag on the glacier?
ski holidays
Sharkymark, I'm not gonna name them. wink
ski holidays
comprex, Cool Laughing
snow report
Sharkymark, no it's the ridiculously long drag on the face between Crap Sogn Gion and Crap Masegn Smile
snow report
Report on the first day's experimenting.

So, had a bit of a play down the side of the Falera piste. First glimmer of a light bulb is that I realised I was trying to rotate on the push down, which funnily enough wasn't working. So my first postive from the day was clocking that I need to do more of a retraction turn - ? The timing of the turn is almost opposite to what I'm used to on piste? Definitely head-pat-stomach-rub.

Second realisation was exactly how weird it feels to me to bring my legs closer together (God, that could be misinterpreted Laughing) so I spent a bit of time practising a narrower stance on the piste. Rutschen said he'd once been told you need to ski more old-style off piste? Anyway, a bit of practice with a narrower stance and practicing the feel of rotary action helped.

Actual attempts at turning off piste met with - shall we say - mixed success Shocked At one point my skis got deflected into a snowplough, which resulted in an inside edge, rapidly followed by being flipped round onto my back and hitting the back of my head fairly hard, at which point I was jolly glad I had a helmet on. Later attempts worked a bit better, I think I felt a couple of turns that worked better.

The snow down the side of the piste was getting a little crusty so I guess it was a bit easier to stay at/near the surface. I'm going to have to work on balance a bit and - above all - patience

Having had a fairly big tumble, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and finished around 3ish and went for stomp with the dog (see snow report thread)
ski holidays
eng_ch, Great report, keep 'em coming. Hope the noggin's OK!
snow conditions
Hurtle, noggin fine, neck less so - really sore and weak from under the ears forward to the base of the neck and lower abdomen muscles feel rather strained (and I have a strong core). Fortunately I've just been prescribed some strong NSAIDs for the week to be used as necessary after the doc diagnosed a Morton's Neuroma on Friday (rolling eyes) so they should help
latest report
eng_ch, oh dear, really sorry to hear that. Maybe lay off experimental moves for a short while, and get yourself better first? Sorry to hear about the foot as well. Hope everything improves soon.
snow conditions
bTW crusty off piste is the hardest there is to ski, so if you were trying it in breakable crust, you picked the hardest kind of snow!! If the storm on the horizion turns up you may have better snow shortly!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch wrote:
Second realisation was exactly how weird it feels to me to bring my legs closer together (God, that could be misinterpreted Laughing) so I spent a bit of time practising a narrower stance on the piste. Rutschen said he'd once been told you need to ski more old-style off piste? Anyway, a bit of practice with a narrower stance and practicing the feel of rotary action helped.

I'm uneasy about this bit but unfortunately am neither qualified nor sufficiently lucid to help much (plus I'm not sure if I'm fully over old skool ways anyway).

However, on modern equipment I don't think (but may be corrected soon) you need to do any artificial stance narrowing and in fact it will hinder you when you get going with the big, fast freeride turns. wink

Remember you're going to have to be reactive to changes in the snow itself (wind blown to soft to crusty etc) and to what's underneath it (rocks, hidden dips, etc). I don't think a narrow platform is ideal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy