Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

atomic royal minx or K2 tru luv

Poster: A snowHead
I've been recommended to get the atomic royal minx. I would say I am an intermediateish skier who can manage greens and blues, can paralell turn but i do lack confidence, but i have been struggling with an unsuitable ski for the last couple of ski trips which are too heavy and stiff and are not really carvers. I was dead set on getting the K2 tru luv and the local shop has said the royal minx are inbetween the tru luv and the one luv but the atomic is a lighter ski with the 4TIX binding on it.

I have a set of tru luv on hold till the weekend and the atomic ones are coming through from the shops other branch so need to make my decisions in the next couple of days. I have read loads of reviews on the K2 ski's and everyone seems to rate them but i have heard they are generally a bit heavier, but i can't find any reviews on the royal minx

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-01-08 16:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at www.theskidiva.com its an American site but for female skiers so has a lot more reviews of female specific skis, I'm sure I saw something about this ski over there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, i had a look on there and the only thing i saw about it was it got a rave review from someone, but i think they were more advanced than me.

I'm argueing with hubby over it at the moment, he knows his stuff and the girl in the shop backed up what he said, and they have said it will be fine for me at my stage now on groomed slopes but will be futureproof in that i can do a lot more with it, i guess seeing they are more experienced that me i should listen to them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
charlichops, Good ski's my sister skiied them recently and was impressed. Atomic Nomad an dMinx range I think are pretty spot on this season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum, thanks, i am just a bit worried they will be too much ski for me. my main aim at the moment is to get my confidencewith skiing

I've also spotted a set of last years k2 sweet luv's which are a more basic ski, but are dirt cheap and will do me for a couple of years if not more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have found that skis are generally marketed at a higher level than the people who can ski them comfortably. I have skied and enjoyed quite a few expert level skis and I am really, really far from an expert so I wouldn't be too worried about the label. Have you tried flexing them in the shop to see how stiff they feel? I know this doesn't tell you that much but it may reassure you if you can bend them a bit with your hands that they will bend quite a lot when your whole body weight is trying to do the same thing Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf, the royal minx isn't as flexible as the tru love, but still is flexible, apparently it is stiffer in the torsion so will be better when i start doing bumps....lol (yeah right)

i've discounted the sweet loves though as i think they are too entry level.

found somewhere with a tru love in my size i can go and look at at the weekend as i've been recommended a 150 in the royal minx, and a 146 in the K2 so i want to see what they compare like size and weight wise first. I can see me going for the atomic as i think it will be a lighter ski which is better for my dodgy knees and hips Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charlichops, i think the k2 burnin' luvs might also be worth a try. i got them after only 4 weeks on snow and they have given me so much confidence. i knew as soon as i tried them that they were head and shoulders above every other ski i'd tried. i can't recommend them highly enough.

incidentally, my entire family have either k2 skis or boards, after having tried many other brands. i think my brother would marry his seth pistols if he could!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
goaty, thanks, i am also considering the one luv but hadn't thought of the burning luv. The problem i'm having at the moment is i need the 146 and not many places have them in that size.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
charlichops, I recently bought the k2 one luvs and are really pleased with them. I'm a cautious intermediate skiier - struggle a bit on anything bumpy and don't touch the blacks. I love them - so easy to carve the turns! They are just a tad lighter than the skis I have had in the past but not appreciably so
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
charlichops, my better half tested the royal minx back in November and found them great and light but a little on the inflexible side.

She recently tried Movement Chickas at 148cm and loved them...now her next birthday present! She found these very light, great on an off piste and very forgiving.

Having said all that, she hasn't tried k2s so can't comment.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you go for!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowshine, thanks, the chickas look great. I am also worried that the royal minx won't be quite flexible enough for me at the moment.

I think it's going to have to be the tru loves and if i outgrow them then i'll just have to upgrade won't i????
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought the K2 Tru Luvs for my GF a little while back - and she pretty much exactly matches you as far as skiing style/ability goes.

She absolutely loves them - and it's certainly helped her improve (she's attempting all but the toughest reds).

I definitely think it's worth avoiding the more advanced skis. I made the mistake of buying skis that were too advanced for me when I first started skiing - and it only serves to make your day on the mountain tougher than it should be.

Only my two-pennies worth Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2, think i am going to have to put my foot down and go for the tru luvs, I am too not wanting anything too advanced as my confidence is the main problem and if i can make it easier than it is at the moment that should give me the confidence to improve.

for some reason though people keep wnating to put me on more advanced ski's Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can you not get last years skis from somewhere cheap like sport conrad and then if you do want to sell them in a couple of years you won't have lost as much money a buying them full price from Ellis Brigham?
snow report
lynseyf, have looked everywhere including conrad and nowhere has last years tru loves in my size anywhere only the sweet luv which really is a beginner ski. I have actualy found someone local that is doing the tru love for about £40 less than ellis brigham though and they have put them aside for me till tomorrow. To be honest I'm not sure how quick i will outgrow them anyway, we will have one week a year skiing abroad as of next year and we will be going to the scottish resorts as many weekends as we can, plus maybe xscape during the summer to keep oursleves in ski shape so i think it will be a fair few years before i am ready for anything anymore advanced.
snow report
charlichops, I remember when I bought my GF's skis a year or two back that the K2 were a little tricky to get hold of - but from what you've said I definitely think they're the way to go, and worth the extra cash.

As for growing out of them - I really don't think you need to worry about this. If you suddenly decide to start flying around the mountain at break-neck speed then yes, you might need to start looking for a bit 'more' of a ski. But if you (like my girlfriend) want to perfect your technique and cruise around the moutain, without breaking any land speed records, then the K2s are going to be fine for a good while.

The K2s look nice too Very Happy
snow report
i am now the proud owner of a set of true luvs
ski holidays
charlichops Very Happy
snow report
charlichops, Great - have fun skiing on them.
ski holidays
charlichops, K2s do make wicked looking skis, I have the Shuksans and they are tribal in their design ...awesome:)
ski holidays
Good choice Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy