Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drying Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
I’m off to see CEM next week to either sort out some new ski boots or modify my current pair.

If I get a new pair, i’m keen to keep them in top condition as long as possible. Any tips on drying ski boots after a day on the slopes. I always have a problem drying my boots out as my feet do seam to perspire quite a bit (nice eh!).

Any recommendations for ways to dry boots. Are boot driers really worth it?

Thanks snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought some boot heaters in les Menuires about 6 years ago for €20.
They're 2 rods of plastic about 6" long on a nice long cable with a Euro plug. I drop them into the boots at the end of the day and next morning I have nice dry toasty-warm boots that don't smell.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, Removing the liners does a better job than the boot heaters. What I normally do is to remove the liners after skiing to allow them to dry out. Re-assmemble them before breakfast and insert the heaters - toasty feet at the start of the day ! If you are skiing with a partner - best buy two heaters wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I normally take my liners out but only at the end of the week when I get home. I'll try it while i'm away this time.

So boot heaters, i've seen ones that have a fan attached to the top that actually blows air into the boot. What are these like? I'm not too bothered about heating my boots before wearing them, hot feet is part of the problem I have. NehNeh I just want an efficient way to dry them out.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kersh wrote:
So boot heaters, i've seen ones that have a fan attached to the top that actually blows air into the boot. What are these like?

I have a set. The do a good job of drying liners (for gloves as well). I will occasionally remove the liners to dry out the shells as well (about once a week). The boot dryers will also warm them slightly at the start of the day which can make putting stiff boots on a little bit easier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, cheers. Who makes the set you have?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our Chalet this year had a big boot warming contraption that held about 30 pairs of boots and blew really warm air through them and did a great job. Hot boots first thing in the mornign is nice Cool. However one lady staying there said she had had liners made for her and had been warned against using boot warmers like this as it would effect the liner?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, a couple of boot fitters have also warned me that those big commercial dryers can be bad for thermo-formed footbeds (and maybe liners?).

Kersh, Thermic. Beans of Bicester sell them, so when you see CEM ask him what he thinks.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-01-08 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a thread on the 'dire' consequences of using hotel boot driers here (from 2006)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=302124#302124

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 24-01-08 13:38; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Thermic boot heaters as well and find them effective - although you do need to take liners out regularly to allow the inside of the shell to dry out as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh, I just take my liners out every evening give the boot a quick wipe out and take the inners up to my room they always seem to be dry in the morning.
I dont own boot heaters/dryers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kersh, I have Dampyre silicon bags....they work a treat, no risk of damaging the liners with heat, and as I suffer from horrible sweaty feet they are a godsend. Simple to use just stuff them down the boot, they suck up any damp, then hang them on the radiator in the morning to re-arm them for the evening. Their main downside is the weight if you are on a restricted baggage allowance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buy 6 pairs of identical boots, or more if you plan to stay longer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, Do you think you would get them in the hand luggage Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thermic fan type boot heaters. The heat is gentle and does no harm whatsoever to the liners. I generally leave the liners in the shell.
Boot heaters are really useful for drying gloves too. Mine get used all year round for mountain bike shoes too.

It's one of those items I wasn't sure I needed but couldn't live without now!
snow report
take advice from CEM, certain orthotics do not tolerate heat well.I like heaters and have sets for US and european voltages but wouldn't put them anywhere near my wife's liners or insoles.

uktrailmonster, snap.
snow conditions
I have some dryzone (i think) things from slush and rubble that are filled with absorbent material - stick them in the boots over night and even in an unheated boot store in a very wet chamonix they seemed to do a pretty good job. Pop the dryzone bags on a radiator for 30 minutes to re-charge.
latest report
I had a thermic boot dryer but it broke after about 8 months - dumped it in a bin in Val d'Isere!

I'm loathe to buy another one to be honest - are there any viable alternatives?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy