Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemsedal, Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Yipee! Not only am I off to St Anton in Feb for 4 days, I now have the first week in March booked to go to Hemsedal in Norway (free accomodation Very Happy !).

Has anyone been who can give some brief guide to the resort? (apart from the obvious "It's bloody expensive!")
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump de bump....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Drunk noisey aggresive Norwegians
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Very Drunk noisey aggresive Norwegians

Aggressive? Never seen any of this on my five trips to Norway - in my experience Norwegians a great bunch. They like a drink or two, but who doesn't Toofy Grin

Apres Ski:

Hemsedal Cafe is the place to go - but there are couple of nice bars right at the bottom of the main lifts, which occasionally have live bands and the like.

On the Mountain:

It's described as the "Norwegian Alps" ... I'm not sure about the Alps reference, more like being in Scotland maybe (?). Not a huge ski area, but more than enough to keep you busy for a week, and more challenging than most in Norway.

Lift system is pretty modern - only one or two drag lifts (from memory).

There's a few off-piste opportunities, but this gets tracked out pretty quick - so get up early if it's snowed over night.

Grading is as most European resorts - Green/Blue/Red/Black - with the exception of a "Double-Black" piste where you have to clear a frozen waterfall which stretches the width of the run Shocked . I didn't attempt this one!

I've just come back from a trip to Geilo, which is just an hour away from Hemsedal - and the locals reckon that they've had the best January weather for over 10 years. It snowed everyday whilst we were there - so hopefully you'll be treated with some great conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry no infor on Hemsedal as mine would be about 10 Yeard out of date but I do remember things being a tad expensive.

Have a good trip, sorry have 2 good trips!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, I've got to ask: how did you get your hands on free acccommodation?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just come back from Hemsedal - first time for me skiiing in Scandinavia - it was fab Little Angel there is about 2 metres of snow in the town - it was up to roof level in the hotel restaurant Very Happy All the slopes are in tip top condition and midweek the pistes are so quiet you can really let rip without fear of taking out a ski-school. Theres a very good snowpark for amateurs and a very serious one for the pros. Must be the only resort I've been to with more telemark ski-ers than boarders (its a Norwegian thing Puzzled ) Bit cold though ...but this does seem to keep the snow in excellent condition.

Accommodation is spread out - some in the town , some below the slopes and some on the slopes so the only downside is a 5 minute ski-bus ride from the village. Warm ski lockers available for hire on the slopes saves carting the ski's around. A number of slopes are floodlit - and there's early morning and evening ski options midweek.

Oh and the beer is expensive - over £5 a pint .. and the shops cant sell alcohol to take out on a weekend - so stock up in advance !!

Enjoy !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonflat2, pistemister, thanks a lot for your comments snowHead snowHead

I am actually 1/4 Norwegian (but don't speak a word guvna' !) and so I'm staying at my family's flat over in Hemsedal.
(I'm flying with Norwegian Airways to Gardemoen, which is nice as I don't have to use Ryanair to out-of-the-way Torp Little Angel ) The transfer is 3.5 hours so hope its still light so I can catch some lovely Norway scenery otherwise it might be a long bore...

Think I'm going to use this trip to take some private lessons and improve ready for next year. (Next week to St Anton will be more of a long hangover I guess).
Better start saving for that beer (I guess a Guinness is out of the question?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, Aggressive Norwegians!!! Bulls..t, possibly drunk but certainly NOT aggressive. Gilbern74, Enjoy both your holidays!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just checked my record.

Been to Hemsedal in 2001 Christmas. Very cold. Skiing condition very good and snow wasn't a problem at all except too much of it around.

It has 42km piste. The runs at the front of the resort are mainly black while the green ones are at the back or top of the mountain

My brother family, in Norway, has since gone for the heated boots and sent me the fitments which I found redundant if skiing in the Alps.

Nice resort.

When I did my first degree one-third of the class were Norwegians. They like to drink but all are very friendly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley wrote:
stanton, Aggressive Norwegians!!! Bulls..t, possibly drunk but certainly NOT aggressive. Gilbern74, Enjoy both your holidays!

Go during the college holidays & you might change your mind
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, Have been many times. I have not witnessed "aggressive" behaviour at all. Drunk and loud, yes but never aggressive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy Hockley wrote:
stanton, Have been many times. I have not witnessed "aggressive" behaviour at all. Drunk and loud, yes but never aggressive.

I have
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK it would appear you have the experience that no other snowHead has.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thoroughly enjoyed a long weekend there last Feb.

Do seem to remember more drags than chairs, but also remember wind that would make Aonach Mor look like inside! Remember thinking at the time that the two were linked.

Plenty of skiing to keep you entertained - similar to any small alpine village, and some challenging stuff onteh front of the hill.

Yeah it was dear, but at ~£4 for a bottle of Heineken didn't find it as horrendously expensive as I'd expected (howevera couple of beers does me - if you're out for a session, the price could mount up).

Cracking view (weather permitting) from the Skarsnuten. Also a very reasonable meal at the ski village (~£12 for main course) in the Oxen Bar & Grill. Peppes Pizza was good too.

You'll have a ball... but wrap up well.

CW
snow conditions
Does anyone else keep thinking "Lord of the Rings" when they read the header for this?
snow conditions
Hopefully will get photos from last (long) weekend posted in the next day or so. Snow almost daily, temperatures -5 to -10 last weekend at the bottom of the main slopes - boot heaters now tried, tested and meant the difference between potential misery and enjoyment. Very Happy Students arrived for student ski week Sunday night but are due to go by the weekend I understand. Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy