Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finishing the turn

Poster: A snowHead
I went to xscape today and noticed a chap giving a few hints to his friends who looked about the same level as me. Never one to be backward about coming forward, I asked if he could give me a few hints. Verdict was that I was not finnishing my turns. This isn't the first time I've been told that and I keep forgetting to ask, what does that mean?
The other comment was that my transition from one turn to the next is not smooth, there is what he called a"judder" in the middle. Beware the judderman....
So, any thoughts on what to do? Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ickabodblue, Yes, don't talk to strangers!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonder if he means you have the same prob as me - linked turns look like a Z not an S?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ickabodblue, was this nice guy an instructor? "judder" could mean a lot of things...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I'm guessing he meant the skis 'juddering' as ickabodblue skidded down the mountain to scrub off speed rather than 'finishing the turn' by continuing smoothly on edge further into the fall line. My utterly amateur opinion I should add. As to what to do maybe try to really use the whole width of the 'piste' to do almost exagerated wide arcs to get the feel of holding the skis on edge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm wrote:
Wonder if he means you have the same prob as me - linked turns look like a Z not an S?

That has previously been my problem in that I try to avoid facing down the slope where I can & rush to get around. Having skis that I'm confident will bring me around in a nice C has made a huge difference as well as a few 121 lessons with a certain blond bombshell who will remain nameless (nah can't do that, Euan sorted me out good & proper) snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eeyore, which skis, out of interest? And who's Euan?!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just had a 1 day workshop in Banff. The instructor picked up on this for all our group. Z instead of S shaped turns.
Eeyore, has it spot on, it's that rushing of a turn and forcing it round to avoid the skis being straight down the fall line. It is about having the confidence in knowing that you will eventually end up turning. Trusting the ski to do what it is designed to do and let it happen, you won't/shouldn't go carrering straight down. Sounded great and was on easy terrain, get a lovely feeling when you get it right - old habits returned on steeper terrain. Will need to keep practicing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ickabodblue wrote:
Verdict was that I was not finnishing my turns. This isn't the first time I've been told that and I keep forgetting to ask, what does that mean?

I guess it depends on what sort of turns you were intending to make at the time. Very Happy

By 'not finishing' turns perhaps you were skiing quite a direct line. Too 'finish off' your turns I imagine that he means you hold on to the turn for longer. In extreme you may almost end up going a little up hill.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, No I don't think he was an instructor. What I understood from him was that the "judder" occurs as I'm shifting the pressure from one ski to the other. Start my next block of lessons next Tuesday so I'll ask the instructor what he thinks and report back. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite often, zigging and zagging indicates the skier is keen to get on an edge after rushing the turn. The effect is an acceleration as the edges bite followed by another rushed turn. Panic swinging.

Judder is quite often the effect of too much edging being forced. The pressure builds quickly but the skier relies on strength to keep the edges biting - rather then managing the build up of pressure and edge bite. The effect - judder (or clatter)

Try to be more gentle on the edges. balance over the skis - not so much against them. Try some managed side slipping and steer the skies through the turn with a little foot rotation. Don't be so keen to jam in the edges. Manage them. manage the pressure. be subtle in rotation. If you want the edges to in the snow, feed them in gently.

Above all, don't panic and rush the turn. Getting the edges in quickly is not the be all and end all of skiing.

The turn should be built by a subtle blend of edging, rotation and pressure.

Try to be more gentle on the edges, softer in the belly of the turn. It's far easier to turn up the heat with regards to the subtle blend, than take it off.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowshark, well said , this year i learn't so much about using a bit of slide in the turn and using that to control speed, and in fact the dangerous bit , is when your edges bite to hard and you turn across the hill and your skis seem to shoot away from you, causing you to have to almost stop before starting the next turn. so i have now learnt to actually turn back into the fall line to control my speed, which has helped me so much.
also playing with the feeling under my skis when they are flat , rather than rushing from edge to edge has helped loads when it comes to skiing over uneven and cut up snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowshark, That makes a lot of sense. Smile I think that could well describe me really quite accurately, I get fixated about getting my skis up on their edges

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 23-01-08 23:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowshark thankyou - well put.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm also very familiar with the Z turn, i found that kind of fear of picking up speed menat i was trying to get turned and my ski's facing the opposite direction on the slope as quickly as possible. It was actually mu hubby pointed it out to me and convinced me pointing my ski's down the slope, picking up a speed and using the edges to turn me rather than me trying to drag my ski's round was not going to send me careering down the mountain at break neck speed. The true test came when towards the end of our holiday we hit a blue run that really should have been classed a purple as one part of it was definatly red and i just relaxed and trusted my ski's and ski's and got down it perfectly.
ski holidays
I just found out about 'Finishing' the turn. Great idea, keeps you in control. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy