Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings pitch

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I would like to call on snowHead s experience/advice again.

In preparation for my forthcoming trip (just 10 days to go!! Cool ) I was last night attaching my newly acquired bindings to my newly acquired board. I knew the foot angles I wanted, and easily set the width thanks to Masque's godsend of a thread. But when I went about setting the pitch, I got slightly confused. This is because Masque recommends a slight forward bias as opposed to a strong one even for beginner, but with the threaded/bindings holes on my board (advertised as beginners board) being biased strongly towards the back, even with the bindings as far forward as I could, the resulting bias was only ever so slightly forward... Puzzled

Are all boards like this or should have I read the board "centre point" as the bindings holes pattern centre point rather than the board's itself? Confused

Many thanks!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kruisler, mornin' and congratulations on the forthcoming trip Very Happy

It's entirely possible that I'm going bonkers, so forgive me if this is completely misunderstanding your question, but I've always had the impression that "pitch" isn't about how far forwards (or backwards) your bindings are on the board... I thought it was to do with how far forwards the highbacks of your bindings are set.

i.e., the more pitch, the more the forward lean of your highbacks, meaning more bend at the ankles....

(before I go on can someone reassure me I'm not about to go barking up the wrong tree?! snowHead )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon snojito is right. Pitch is all to do with highback angle, and so allows you to finely tune the distance your face has to travel before hitting the snow after a toe edge incident Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, i agree with the others, you know your foot angles (+15, -5 say), you know how wide your stance is, you need to know whether you want the bindings centrally located on the available hole/screw options/positions along the length of the board (or may set back a bit along the board for powder or forward a bit as a learner) then you have last of all the pitch/incline of the binding backs, i.e. whether they are digging in to your calf or slightly sitting back away from your calf
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, what the others have said.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to you guys for taking the time to read my post and answer.

I used the word "pitch" in reference to Masque's thread:
Quote:
Binding Pitch:
How much bias, front to rear are the bindings mounted in relation to the centre of the board.

As a mechanical engineer, I would agree that pitch is not the correct technical word, but the description of the intended meaning leaves little to the imagination..I think Very Happy

So to be cleaer, I am referring to the central(or not) location of the bindings in relation to the boards's length. Do your boards have bindings holes pattern heavily biaised towards the rear?

many thanks again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the sanity check guys snowHead

Kruisler, it seems to me that what Masque is saying is that, as a beginner, less forward lean is better than a lot. The highbacks will have some degree of forward lean already I expect - start with them on their lowest / most upright setting and see how you go, and if you find you're naturally leaning a lot further forward than the highbacks (i.e. you have to lean a long way toward the heel edge before you feel them against your calves) then adjust accordingly.

My Salomans, for example, have a tab on the back of the highbacks that you can slide up and down to adjust.

The other question you were asking looks like it's about stance setback - as rayscoops says, that's to do with which set of holes you pick. Unless your board's a twin tip / freestyle-only one then even the central set of holes will probably be slightly back from the physical centre of the board -- don't worry, this is normal and helps give you a tip and a tail (also called a "directional shape" - gives your board a natural 'forwards' and a natural 'backwards').

I'm taking a new board out for the first time in two days' time and I'm going to start off on the central holes. If there's a serious powder day I might move 'em back.... but then again I might not 'cos I'm still messing around with riding switch Smile

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 7-01-08 13:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snojito,

Quote:

The other question you were asking looks like it's about stance setback - asrayscoops says, that's to do with which set of holes you pick. Unless your board's a twin tip / freestyle-only one then even the central set of holes will probably be slightly back from the physical centre of the board -- don't worry, this is normal and helps give you a tip and a tail (also called a "directional shape" - gives your board a natural 'forwards' and a natural 'backwards').

Great! That's the answer I was looking for! Very Happy

Masque does call the stance setback " Binding pitch" and he calls the forward lean... the "forward lean"! Toofy Grin

As per your advice, I have left my highbacks as upright as possible at the mo. I will see on the snow if that's right for me... snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yep, oooops, cross-posted with you there -- it's easy to see where the ambiguity's arisen! Very Happy

have an awesome time Kruisler. Where are you headed?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scheffau..not the best resort, but when you get free accomodation, you don't complain! wink Cool

Plus we'll have a car so we are planning on exploring... snowHead

Only a 5 day trip though.. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler wrote:
As per your advice, I have left my highbacks as upright as possible at the mo. I will see on the snow if that's right for me... snowHead

how did you get on with that? IMO having the backs upright is asking for an edge to catch. If I teach people I get the backs half way leaning forward to force them into the right stance, even if they moan about calf muscles hurting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler Yup, the binding pitch is how far along the holes, front to tail, do you set your bindings. As said some boards are true equidistant freestyle twin tips, others have the paired sets of binding mounts more to the tail of the board, my thread's a bit ambiguous as it implies I'm talking about a symmetrical board. The reality is it doesn't matter as unless you have very long legs and a really short board nearly all of us will have some leeway to mount our bindings more to the tail or to the nose and that's the pitch of the board. To maintain primary control of your board you need to put force into your board ahead of the centre contact point of the board on the snow and that's a bit easier to do if your bindings are mounted as far forward as possible, but I believe that is counter productive to learning just how much body movement is needed and helps to persuade learners to exaggerate body language and then to tone and refine it after basic riding skills are learned . . . so you may as well begin with your bindings at a fairly neutral or just forward of neutral position in the binding holes, front and rear at your stance width.

Having your highbacks upright so that you can stand with your knees locked out will just result in poor riding posture, steering with your upper body, slow progress and leaving your teeth in the snow. Once you've learned the subtlety of toe, heel, for and aft pressuring, by all means raise your highbacks till you can stand with your legs straight, but only when you can ride any piste at speed and you will need to play about with your settings when playing in the park. But unless you have unusually large calves I'd suggest you start with them at their adjustment mid-point. Though if you have a sweet five or six inches of powder, Twisted Evil , then slacken them off move the pitch back and learn to lift your front foot and steer using rear foot toe and heel pedalling to surf the board . . . but don't think that will give you anything but pain on an icy pitch:evil:

Have a great time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, Masque,

Well I left my highbacks at their most upright position, and was so preoccupied with finding my ideal feet angle set-up that I completely forgot to adjust the highbacks to check their influence.. Embarassed
I did progress really well last week I feel. The only time I have caught edges were on flat/long runs, and by the end of the trip I was geeting the hang of that and had no troubles anymore. Cool
That said (having been since a skier for the last 29 years, I am 34 now), I have always know the importance of flexing the knees, and as much as possible I was making sure I was keeping my knees flexed/bent and my body fairly low, so I suppose that it kind of reproduce the effects of having had the highbacks adjusted to lean more forward.. Puzzled
I am truly gutted to be back already as by Monday I really felt like I could pick up good speed, was linking turns on red, even blacks if not too icy and rarely fell any more..Would have loved a few more days... Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy