Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any good news....

Poster: A snowHead
Stock markets crashing, actors dying and skiers caught in avalanche after avalanche .... does anyone have any good news?

Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know. Can you give us an update on the flooding in Leeds?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2007 was colder than 2006 and the MetOffice think 2008 will turn out even colder!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Floods all gone Very Happy - but I work in construction - we get busy thro' flooding.... Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps Amy Winehouse will get locked up, then we won't have to listen to any more of her "noise" for a long time.....that's good news Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman wrote:
2007 was colder than 2006 and the MetOffice think 2008 will turn out even colder!

Strange how that hasn't been the subject of a 'Newsnight special' rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lot's of snow in Scotland and the Alps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, this.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35293&highlight=
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just had rather a nice cup of coffee - well it was good news for me
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dbiggins wrote:
Perhaps Amy Winehouse will get locked up, then we won't have to listen to any more of her "noise" for a long time.....that's good news Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Harsh. She's a silly girl, and needs to review her taste in blokes, but she can sing quite well (when she can sing at all).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond wrote:
dbiggins wrote:

Harsh. She's a silly girl, and needs to review her taste in blokes, but she can sing quite well (when she can sing at all).

So why hasn't she done so on any of her released records?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A very, very fine singer, no question. As to the rest... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, she's better than Cerys... NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
richmond wrote:
dbiggins wrote:

So why hasn't she done so on any of her released records?

Even harsher. There's general agreement in our household (which covers all tates and, in some cases, none), that the girl can sing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
got my O2 broadband connection working at last and am now on the internet Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
got my O2 broadband connection working at last and am now back on the internet Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, I'm going skiing next week. That's good news. who cares about trivia like stock markets, dead actors, and world recessions anyway - what's the snow forecast looking like? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
CAN SHE SING ! people dont usally go to concerts to boo and throw things at the stage!
is her name really amy WINEhouse or are we just being sold something else?
and Im not sking till march Sad
ski holidays
I regard Amy Winehouse's lyrics, musical backing, wit ... and voice ... as the finest I've every heard of any singer in the UK. Her songs are phenomenally good.
snow report
Amy Winehouse? Modern 'Aretha Franklin' in my mind. XXXX
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Not even close.

Buy 'em while you can as if she carries on the way she is I don't rate her seeing 2009

BTW why do these celebs not go to jail for the drugs they got? If it was a normal kid nicked with them they would have been locked up by now.
ski holidays
This evening, I sewed a button on my mac and sewed up a hole in the pocket, which I've been meaning to do for weeks, so we can all rejoice about that.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Amy Winehouse? Modern 'Aretha Franklin' in my mind. XXXX

That's a very strange place - your mind Toofy Grin
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I regard Amy Winehouse's...... voice ... as the finest I've every heard of any singer in the UK......

What about Lesley Garrett - or are you excluding her because she really can sing? Did you never hear Janet Baker, or is she too posh to count? Mind you, I think AW is a pretty good singer, too. wink
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
I regard Amy Winehouse's lyrics, musical backing, wit ... and voice ... as the finest I've every heard of any singer in the UK. Her songs are phenomenally good.

Her lyrics are OK-ish if you are depressed and want to stay that way. the "musical backing" is the doing of her record company more than her.

Her voice is certainly "different", mbut I don't like it. And for me it really shows up when she does cover versions of reasonable/average songs and makes them worse. I am sure there are people who prefer her version of "Valeri" to the Zutons, but I certainly don't.

I can think of many current singers whose voice and choice of material is *way* better than hers. Including another Amy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
achilles,
Quote:

What about Lesley Garrett - or are you excluding her because she really can sing?
Bleeuuchhh, no she can't. Totally devoid of subtlety (unlike Amy Winehouse.)

Quote:

Did you never hear Janet Baker, or is she too posh to count?

I guess David was referring to a present-day singer (JB is long retired) and in fairness, that's comparing apples and pears, or whatever the expression is. Janet Baker is, of course, one of the greatest singers this country has ever produced.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
............I guess David was referring to a present-day singer.........

You are sweetnes and light personified, so your pedantic eye missed:

David Goldsmith wrote:
I regard Amy Winehouse's lyrics, musical backing, wit ... and voice ... as the finest I've every heard of any singer in the UK.

But mine did. Razz

Quote:
Janet Baker is, of course, one of the greatest singers this country has ever produced.

The all too little I have heard is sublime.
latest report
achilles, Mmm, given the placing of the word, I interpreted it (in the said spirit of sweetness and light) as the finest he had ever heard of [present-day] singers, as opposed to the finest he had heard of any singer in the UK ever to perform. Maybe he'll tell us what he meant. And didn't you mean 'didn't' as opposed to 'did'?

Methinks this is thread creep of the highest order. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But to get back on topic, it is good news that I had the privilege of hearing Janet Baker live many, many times. Sometimes - in numerous St Matthew Passion performances - I was on the stage too!
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
But to get back on topic, it is good news that I had the privilege of hearing Janet Baker live many, many times. Sometimes - in numerous St Matthew Passion performances - I was on the stage too!

Respect. In contrast, I am not (and never was) worthy.
snow report
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
I regard Amy Winehouse's...... voice ... as the finest I've every heard of any singer in the UK......

What about Lesley Garrett - or are you excluding her because she really can sing? Did you never hear Janet Baker, or is she too posh to count? Mind you, I think AW is a pretty good singer, too. wink

That's like comparing an apple to a pear, or an Aston Martin to a Bentley. They're not fulfilling the same purpose. In general, operatic divas don't sing, for example, jazz well, and vv. How can you decide even subjectively whether Janis Joplin was a better or worse singer than Maria Callas? Both are the acme of their trade (arguably) and each would have been rubbish at singing the other's songs.

[Not that Lesley Garrett's anything to write home about as an operatic diva, although she's good at getting the right kind of publicity (in contrast to Amy).]
ski holidays
richmond, quite so (as mentioned above.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, oh yes, I didn't notice that. Fancy us both choosing fruit based comparisons, and the same fruits, at that. Obviously a cultural thing.
ski holidays
richmond, Toofy Grin
latest report
richmond wrote:
......That's like comparing an apple to a pear, or an Aston Martin to a Bentley. They're not fulfilling the same purpose. In general, operatic divas don't sing, for example, jazz well, and vv. How can you decide even subjectively whether Janis Joplin was a better or worse singer than Maria Callas? Both are the acme of their trade (arguably) and each would have been rubbish at singing the other's songs.

Well it was the point I was trying to make, a little facetiously. If you say X is the greatest singer ever - you are forcing a point home covering all singers (and how could you do that for all the different types?) for all time (since 'ever' is an absolute expression. Typical of journalistic writing which irritates me - and I was a little waspish. Sorry.
snow report
What I meant really was that Amy W's combination of talents and backing musicianship (with her own voice as an element), has stirred me more than any other UK female singer I've ever heard.

Just a personal/emotional impression, of course.

She pours out her soul and creativity in an astonishing way. Let's hope she survives her crisis and sings some more.
snow conditions
achilles, I'd say you weren't being waspish enough, since I didn't realise - and neither, presumably, did richmond - that you were being facetious! wink
David Goldsmith, blimey, you really DID mean in any genre and in any medium you've ever heard (including recordings of dead or retired singers)?! That's quite some accolade for Amy.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
.........David Goldsmith, blimey, you really DID mean in any genre and in any medium you've ever heard (including recordings of dead or retired singers)?! That's quite some accolade for Amy.

Hmm. I have an opt out - but, yes, I really was being facetious - I did think David was indulging in journalistic hyperbole, and did not think he really meant his statement in absolute terms.
latest report
I'm off to La Plagne at 6am on Saturday!
latest report
And it's now less than three days till I set off for Val - Very Good news indeed Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy