Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbies going to Chamonix - advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got 2 weeks experience and my friend has 1. Got a last minute deal to Chamonix (everywhere else is booked up!) and need some advice on best places to ski etc.

From a quick look around you can get two levels of lift pass, we will be sticking to beginner/intermediate runs and any easy blacks (also trying to be as cheap as possible Smile) so thinking of just getting the basic one, will that give enough variety for a weeks skiing? Do you have to have guides for some of the areas? Saw this on a website somewhere.

We won't have a car and will be at the mercy of local transport and lifts, which are the best areas to go to and is it that much of a hassle to get around?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlfaFoxtrot, Not sure what the basic pass involves but I would get one that covers most of the valley (no need for Les Houches). If they do a pass that covers only Brevent and Flegeve you're in danger of high winds closing those areas. I think it would also be an opportunity lost if you don't ski Argentiere, there are enough skiable runs there for your abilities and it is by far the best skiing in Chamonix valley.

I have been there without a car and the bus system is ok, whatever you're told. The only advice I would give is put yourself out if you have to to be at the first stop. That way you'll guarantee getting on the bus if it's busy.

If you need to be financially careful then I suggest that you quickly suss out the happy hours and cheap eateries. They are to be found there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Start at Les Houches - there's a pretty reasonable bus service. No guides required.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're off to Chamonix on 9th Feb and I have been looking at the passes. I reckon you will just need the 'Le Pass', not the full Mont Blanc one. And apparently for beginners the Le Tour area is the best place and where many of the ski schools are. Some of the beginner areas also have free lifts so you may want to wait until you get there befotre buying a pass, although you can order online and they will be sent to you home address.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike, Les Houches is not covered by the Chamonix lift pass, or at least it wasn't when I was there last.

Cubby, Furthest area from the town and a bit restricted for someone who has skied before. What areas are covered by the relevant passes?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cubby, "Le Pass" is plenty.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlfaFoxtrot, Le Pass will be fine for you. Start off at Le Tour if you are beginners as they'll be plenty there to keep you amused for a while. The buses are fine to get around on although they can get busy as at any resort. Forget about guides, you won;t be going anywhere you'll need one I wouldn't imagine. Oh yes, and just to re-iterate my pet hate about Chamonix once again...watch out for dog muck on the pavements! Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
awksquawk,
Quote:

pet hate about Chamonix once again...watch out for dog muck on the pavements
Have you been to Paris lately? Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Le Houches does look quite nice with tree lined routes etc, but we might get a one day pass there, and only if we exhaust other areas (probably not likely!).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="awksquawk"]AlfaFoxtrot, Le Pass will be fine for you. Start off at Le Tour if you are beginners as they'll be plenty there to keep you amused for a while. The buses are fine to get around on although they can get busy as at any

Agree with this, I took 9 beginners to Cham a few years ago and the best place by far is Le Tour. Get the pass that gives you the four areas but excludes the top lift at Grand Montets.
Le Houches is worth a trip out as well, just get to the bus depot (Chamonix Sud?) and you will be fine. I skied there 2 mornings on my own and it was great skiing, well worth the trip, but dont try the Kandahar!!!

Im off to Cham on my own on 28th Feb for 5 days. I will be buying a 3 day pass for Brevent/Flegere/Le Tour/Montets but my first day will be a day trip to Le Houches on the Friday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Le Houches (sic) does look quite nice with tree lined routes etc, but we might get a one day pass there, and only if we exhaust other areas (probably not likely!).

Le Tour is OK and probably fine for you but try and get to Les Houches if you can because the skiing there is varied and good. Les Houches is also a better option in cloudy weather as there are a lot of runs through the trees. When I used to go to Chamonix we just used to buy a day pass for each area we went to - it may be worth considering this option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.chamonet.com/
www.chamonix.com
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php
www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/index.php

These should keep you amused. I cant think of any easy blacks!
Le pass will be ample. Many people do a circuit, Le Tour, Flegere/Brevent then Grands Montets. Les Houches is a good bet if the weather is crap as is Courmayer
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy