Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercises shown on Ski Sunday.

Poster: A snowHead
On Ski Sunday Graham Bell had that Chef guy doing a couple of exercises. One was called the 'tea-pot' where he put one arm on his hip and one out in front (no poles), the other (I forgot it's name) involved lifting one ski off the snow during a traverse and crossing it over the other one slightly. I THINK it was the uphill ski.

Can anyone comment on these exercises and explain what they help with and how to do them properly?

The reason I ask is that our Austrian Instructor had us doing both of them last week, but didn't say too much about why (other than 'to help vis ur balance unt position') Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The other exercise is "javelin turns" - you ski on the outside ski and lift the inside ski and cross it over the tip of the outside ski. Both exercises are used to focus on steering the ski with edging rather than rotation (carving, not skidding). The aim of both should be to get good edge angles by moving the hips to the inside of the turn, and keep the upper body stable and following the path of the skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really like the "tea- pot" one. Somehow it just makes me feel so much more balanced. If I didn't look such a div that's the way I would ski all the time! Haven't tried the other one but I'm off to the dryslope today. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
both are very good drills.. on the teapot (aka "schlopy") really emphasize pressing the hip inwards with the "handle" hand on the hip while keeping the shoulders level to mountain in order to get the feel for angulation and tipping the skis on edge
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, We've missed you wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He also told him to "sink" into his downhill hip - I tried that on Mon at Xscape when I was traversing - and started to turn uphill! I think that is going to help me as I realised it was making my hips lean towards the slope a touch without my shoulders doing so. In fact it has sorted out something which has been a bit of a blocker for me. I had been told "lean down the slope, not into the hill". Well that gave me images of my whole body in a straight line, leaning downhill and that felt really wrong. I now realise the upper body may be leaning away from the slope, but the knees/hips are leaning into it and this comment about sinking down into one hip seems to have started that process in me. Well I think so anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used that one in my CSIA L1 exam. Examiner liked it. I've got a warm fuzzy feeling now... Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks, Yes 'javelin' turns it was indeed. I found both drills very helpful in Austria and want to practice them some more next week in Val. Just checking but it IS the 'downhill' hand that goes on the hip, with the 'uphill' arm forward isnt it? (This brings the uphill shoulder round nicely which addresses one of my biggest problems (apart from generally skiing like a gonk) Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The teapot helps with angulation, instructor had us doing it on the icy slopes of Soll last season.
Downhill hand 'pushing' the hips into the hill/mountainside, but keeping the shoulders up and away, to keep one on ones edges.

Been using it as a stretching exercise in the gym, so hopefully be able to do it on the snow a little easier.

Haven't seen the one legged tip crossing exercise before.

Is it compulsory to do them with an unfastened helmet though?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, yes, the downhill hand on the hip (actually, pushing the hip to get good angulation rather than just resting it there). I prefer to think of it as the 'outside' hand (or leg/ski) as uphill and downhill are relative terms (I often start a turn with my 'downhill' leg being higher than my 'uphill' leg).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Teapot works best with a song....

'I'm a little teapot, short and stout.......'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski wrote:
Teapot works best with a song....

'I'm a little teapot, short and stout.......'

Got me there allright Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
(slight diversion warning) - if you're having tea on the slopes don't forget to share it Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Yes understood, and of course at the point in the turn where you are facing straight downhill neither side is the downhill one. But If I am turning toward the right (call it a clockwise turn?) then it will be my left hand push my hip and my right arm in front of me yes?

In fact in Austria our instructor had us bending our leading arm as well (a bit like a pantomime villain holding a cape across his face) rather than pushing it straight out like superman in flight. Dunno why?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan wrote:
If I am turning toward the right (call it a clockwise turn?) then it will be my left hand push my hip and my right arm in front of me yes?

Yes.
ski holidays
AxsMan, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
Dunno why?

Was he giggling at the time?
latest report
rob@rar, and smirking quite a bit Embarassed snowHead
snow report
AxsMan, there's your answer Wink
snow report
rob@rar, and whistling 'phantom of the opera'. Funny we never twigged really Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
AxsMan wrote:
Just checking but it IS the 'downhill' hand that goes on the hip, with the 'uphill' arm forward isnt it?

AxsMan, yes, the downhill hand on the hip

rob@rar wrote:
AxsMan wrote:
If I am turning toward the right (call it a clockwise turn?) then it will be my left hand push my hip and my right arm in front of me yes?

Yes.

Wait, I'm totally confused now. These two statements seem to contradict each other. Wish I hadn't deleted Ski Sunday off my DVR now...
snow conditions
Yoda, and you have to sing it in martin's peculiar accent Laughing
latest report
I'm confused too. And I just watched the scene again and it didn't help!
snow report
I was once given a list of things javelin turns can be used for....

I have also done a couple of different variations of them...
snow report
OK, I just watched it yet again, and the wording he uses is "what I want you to do is, when you make the turn, I want you to take your outside hand and put it on your hip, and have your inside hand up and forward." Does that help?
snow report
Two Ears Laybelle, Why confused. If you are turning to the right then the left ski becomes the downhill ski and your left arm the downhill arm.
snow conditions
Just think - push the hip into/up the mountain and point with the other hand the way you are going. Does that help?
snow report
- sorry, ignore, cocked up the coding -

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 23-01-08 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue wrote:
Why confused. If you are turning to the right then the left ski becomes the downhill ski and your left arm the downhill arm.

Yeah, but it starts off as your uphill ski. If you're talking about turns, perhaps best to avoid the words "uphill" and "downhill", and use "inside" and "outside" instead. Anyway, kermit/minx talk about the downhill hand pushing the hips into the mountain. That definitely sounds like the opposite of Axsman's "If I am turning toward the right (call it a clockwise turn?) then it will be my left hand push my hip and my right arm in front of me"
Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
You don't put pressure on the hand on the hip until the last part of the turn, so once you are facing/starting to face the new direction. Everyone is right and saying the same thing I think it's just being interpreted/coming across differently.

There's a link to a vid of someone doing this. Hang on I'll try to find it.

http://youtube.com/v/vlzIkIQa3e0

He does by touching the knee rather than the hip but you'll get the idea.[/quote]
snow report
Two Ears Laybelle

ickabodblue wrote
Quote:

If you are turning to the right

Quote:

left arm

AxsMan wrote
Quote:

turning toward the right it will be my left hand

So they are saying the same thing. Try it now stood in front of the computer and it will become clear Shocked
snow conditions
Two Ears Laybelle wrote:
... perhaps best to avoid the words "uphill" and "downhill", and use "inside" and "outside" instead.

Yes, avoids all sorts of confusion.
snow report
minx wrote:
You don't put pressure on the hand on the hip until the last part of the turn, so once you are facing/starting to face the new direction.

Why leave it until the last part of the turn?
snow report
rob@rar when should you start to pressure the hand into the hip then, I took it to start applying it gradually from facing the fall ine getting stronger through the last 3rd of the turn. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I don't make a t*t of myself. wink
latest report
Two Ears Laybelle, you can watch it via this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/default.stm
ski holidays
Thanks. Picture worth a thousand words and all that, and moving pictures even better. Don't know why I didn't think of YouTubing for skiing tips, either. There seems to be some good stuff on there.
ski holidays
minx, the italian national coach i skied with last month said pressure from start of turn.... but then his english is not fluent Wink
snow conditions
little tiger thanks. Want to practice this drill correctly and the Javellin one as I am stiff in the hips and I think it will help in the upper body aswell.
ski holidays
minx, make the movement fluid into and out of turn though IIRC (i have a nice picture in my head of said person demoing) ... No sudden movements... but then I have likened his skiing to watching a large cat like a puma moving.... I'd love to watch his buddy do that exercise Smile
snow report
i have done both of those exercises in the past and they do help. we used skiing on one ski whilst traversing to get us used to aveing the weight on the downhill edge and we also did them in turns to get us out of doing a snowplough when turning ( i think) i also did the teapot one with my hand on my knees rather than my hip too.

it's good to be reminded of these exercises and i'll be having a go when i next ski
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy