Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flybe Ski Carriage (may be of interest to MSB'ers)

Poster: A snowHead
So I decided to book another week in Wengen and rather than use my usual high class transportation (Easyjet to Basle or Zurich or Geneva) I opted for something different. I booked flights from Birmingham to Berne with the added advantage of short transfer time to resort. When I booked the tickets I got a little pop-up which said if I want to book skis or other outsized equipment onto the flight then I should call their help desk. This I did earlier this evening, and was asked how long my skis were. 183cm I replied. Ahh, came the reply, we cannot accept anything longer than 5ft onto this flight since it is a turbo-prop. To be fair the operator empathised with me, and it would seem I am not the first person to have asked. Anyone come across this before - is there any way around this apart from folding my skis in half?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AdrianV, Hi, I've booked a holiday with Inghams, flying Flybe to Milan and have been advised that I will need to pay... wait for it £40.00!!!! to take my skis. I have to pay this directly to the airline on departure. Evil or Very Mad
Maybe time to avoid Flybe
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scheisse! Turbo-prop! We'll be hours getting there! I'm on the Flybe flight and want to take my snowboard... It's 168cm - that's 5'5"! Bugger, I need to ring them up...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I flew on a Flybe Dash-8 (Q400) from Milan last year - I got one of the best views of the Alps I've ever had as the Dash-8 flies at a lower altitude than jet powered aircraft, about 27,000 feet if I remember correctly.

The flight was longer, though. Sad

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, when I told them it was 183cm they said how long is that in inches so I said about 5'5" - shows how rubbish I am at metric to imperial conversion!!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AdrianV, 180cm is about 6'
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AdrianV, Flew with Flybe to Berne in 2005 on a Q-400, never had a problem with the lenght of ski's, the bag will have been at least 180cm, maybe 190cm.

As Sage mentions, you do get some good views by flying in a little bit lower.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
srobbo, did you just turn up with the skis or book them in advance?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AdrianV, I had mine pre booked, but other's just turned up and paid on the day, but bearing in mind that it is a 'small' plane, I would make sure that you pre book before arriving at the airport.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote from the Flybe website:

Skis
Skis may be pre-booked within 24 hours of making your flight booking through the Customer Call centre and will be charged at GBP20.00, EUR28.00, CHF48.00 per set per sector. There is a limit on the amount of skis that can be carried which is dependant on the aircraft type:

Bombardier Q400 10 sets of skis (Max length 5FT)
BAe 146 40 sets of skis (Max length 10FT)
Boeing 737 40 sets of skis (Max length 10FT)
Embraer 195 25 sets of skis (Max length 10FT)
-----------------------------------------------------

So, 10 pairs of skis on a Q-400, no longer than 5 ft. That's 152cm. 152 effectively excludes skis owned by adult males, and many adult females.

Crazy for a ski flight?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AdrianV, I got the same message when I flew to France from Soton last year on a Dash8.
I pre-booked a board bag 170cm long. And then turned up early to make sure it got on the plane - no probs.
Whether they make a bigger deal for your flight - can't say.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just called and booked two snowboards on our flight to Berne from Birmingham. She was adamanant about the 5ft thing (which, of course, I said they were), saying that if they were refused at check in for being overlength, they couldn't refund... I'm a bit nervous now! Especially as the board bag is also my suitcase! (Saves £10 that way...). I told her I was "aware" of people getting full length skis on flights such as these and she said that it really depended on who was on on the day. Fingers therefore crossed firmly for someone nice on the day. We're all tall people going so hopefully the board bags will look short by comparison! This is where I'll discover a "your bag must fit under this bar to get on the aircraft" barrier, isn't it...?

She said they were getting loads of complaints from skiers so were looking at the rules again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Air Canada, who have a fleet of Dash-8's, don't have a length restriction for skis they carry. I think someone at Flybe has dropped the ball on this one.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Captain Pedantic here ! Air Canada Jazz have 26 x Dash 300s and 34 Dash 100s - but no Q400s which is what we're talking about.

Its worth considering that the Q400 has a 2 +2 configuration only seats between 68 and 78 pax - its not a big aircraft.

Theres probably a practical reason for the length limitation. The cabin width at floor level is only 6' 8" (2.03m) so the width below that in the hold must be less. Not sure if theres internal dividers to stop luggage movement fore and aft as well so you might not be able to store skis tail to tail either.

Also for a turbo prop its pretty fast - about 414mph compared with say 493mph for 737-300. As mentioned before as it doesnt have to climb(or descend) so far so it has less distance to travel. I think i calculated that a jet would have covered the ground about 10 mins faster on a flight I made last year.

Oh - and don't go for seats in rows 7-9 unless you've always had a hankering to be the assistant for the knife throwing act in the circus........ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It does seem a bit daft on a flight they know is going to service ski resorts to not have the capacity to take many skis Confused Shocked
ski holidays
ropetow wrote:,
Quote:

Its worth considering that the Q400 has a 2 +2 configuration only seats between 68 and 78 pax - its not a big aircraft.

The Q400 is bigger than the Q200 & Q300 (longer cabin) - width on all variants is the same.

Q400 baggage volume = 14.22 m cubed (502 cubic feet).

snowHead
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
It does seem a bit daft on a flight they know is going to service ski resorts to not have the capacity to take many skis Confused Shocked

Unfortunately the Q400 is their aircraft of choice - thats really all they have apart from their 11 x BAE 146's which will be eventually replaced by Embraer 195's. The 146's are due to be replaced with the 195s by the end of Dec 2008.

As is the pattern with most 'budget' airlines - any hold baggage is actively being discouraged.
latest report
ropetow, yes but at least the Embraer 195's can take full length skis, as for the lack of luggage you can do this if all you are catering for is the short buisness or weekend trip but if they want to cope with taking holiday makers overseas especially skiers in the winter they're going to need to let us take luggage with us, unless of course they have an interest in some naturist communities wink
snow report
I flew Flybe from Birmingham to Berne with my 178 Missions last MSB, and there was no problem - but perhaps they have tightened up the rules since then. I did not find the transfer a gimme - mainly because of having to take a taxi from Berne railway station to Berne airport on the return trip (a little private shuttle bus took me outbound,but was not available on return). There were also 2 trains to make the journey to Wengen. Although not to great a hassle, the transfer is not as easy as a look at the map suggests, and I have not opted for that route this year.
ski holidays
they told me that skis/boards need to be stowed in the tail space - thus the length limit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy