Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

forget shaped carver - RAX Generation 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Latchigo wrote:
Great stuff.

After all the initial flak, DB has now been able to give an independent view.

One of the very best threads of 2008 - a nice change from posters slagging one another off about nothing.

I'd go along with that. TfA has stood his ground - with some justification judging by DB's report. It would be interesting to rest Rax - I wonder if TfA may come along to one of the snowheads' ski tests (perhaps at one of the bashes) in 2009.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom from Austria, Saw you skiing on them in Les Deux Alpes last week. I was with Easiski at the time and she noticed them first.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, and what did you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, Unfortunately it was only on the nearly flat narrow Route de Thuit so it wasn't really possible to gain an impression of their qualities. I did schuss past though if that's anything to go on wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, I would expect nothing less Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How did you get on in the Derby de la Meije Tom?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1 wrote:
How did you get on in the Derby de la Meije Tom?

Became 6th in my category "autres" = special. Skwal won this category.

But Derby is no freeride criterium as it starts on 1.5 km groomed glacier piste
which gets flatter and "nordic" : after some running up-hill
you are passing the telepheric station.
Then about 1 km of steep terrain with hard bumps and tracks
(nobody has overtaken me here in traning or race, but I possibly had no luck of competing with the best ones)
followed by 2 km of flat hard snow.

In the race I have turned 6 times.

Remember that Rax ski is designed for fast turning in steep terrain.

Well, the Derby was a social event and I would note like to miss it.

Next year we are to send a phalanx of 10 Rax riders
holding hands each other
and riding down the hill like a Holiday on Ice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
achilles, Unfortunately it was only on the nearly flat narrow Route de Thuit so it wasn't really possible to gain an impression of their qualities. I did schuss past though if that's anything to go on wink

The best of Les 2 Alpes are very steep off-piste slopes like right flank of Grand Couloir, left flank of Super Diable, left flank of Valentin
and especially the very steep 4-chair lift starting underneath La Fee.

But the real competition for Valons de la Meije is LA CHALANCE, starting at 3 200 m and falling down to the altitude of La Fee.

Sorry that I have not met you there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, I agree about Chalance. A gem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom from Austria, So it must have been you that we saw on these skis last week! Shame you didn't contact me as we've had lots of snowheads out in the last 2 weeks, and most would have been happy to test your skis. How did you do in the Derby? Unfortunately I hadn't spotted this thread until the SH who was skiing with me when I spotted them sent me the link. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
Tom from Austria, So it must have been you that we saw on these skis last week! Shame you didn't contact me as we've had lots of snowheads out in the last 2 weeks, and most would have been happy to test your skis. How did you do in the Derby? Unfortunately I hadn't spotted this thread until the SH who was skiing with me when I spotted them sent me the link. Sad

Easiski, if you see somebody riding down in the fall line just underneath the chairs or the telepheric
and leaving very clean track without any skidding
then you can bet that it`s me.
Sorry that we have not met in Les 2 Alpes or la Grave.

But I am still mobile enough.
Where are you in the next 3 weeks ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rax skis 2009: new videos

http://youtube.com/v/ydagWso-QVA

from Hochkar, Austria, April 19 2009
Rax skis used

http://youtube.com/v/LWLzE2O9PNw

from Hintertux, Austria, June to Nov 2008
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom from Austria, I was talking about you with other snowheads at the EOSB - wondering what had happened to you. Maybe you should turn up at next April's EOSB - I reckon you could have an audience. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Tom from Austria, I was talking about you with other snowheads at the EoSB - wondering what had happened to you. Maybe you should turn up at next April's EOSB - I reckon you could have an audience. Very Happy

Sorry, achilles, not to attend your EoSB.
We have been extremely busy developing and testing
all-metal extensions for fabricated ski bases.

Since summer 2008 we have made it from
hand-sawed recycled skis to today`s potential
of 6 forms for wood-core sandwich
and 1 form for foam injection.

And we consider UK skiing community
as the most promising for Rax skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom from Austria, Hello Tom, A few comments on the videos...

The first one doesn't really show anything except a distance shot of some people making their way rather nervously down a mountainside...

The second one is more interesting - love that punter falling over on the 'destroyed piste' - was that staged? wink

My main comment is that despite mention carving there seems to be none. No fast GS carved 'railroad' arcs that modern recreational skiers have come to love. All the footage seems to be little jink-jink turns, including the amazing(ly weird) rear-tip riding down the 'extreme Steeps'
ski holidays
red 27, a turn doesn't necessarily have to be 'GS' to be carved. I didn't see any side of skidding in the video.. So whilst the skier's bdy is not in the position normally associated with a carve - I think we were watching carved turns.

Think we would have had a bit of grief on some of the thin patches of snow at the bottom of runs at Val Thorens last week, though, with those fins jutting downward onto the rocks/stones. I guess we'd have had fun with them off the sides of the Combe de Caron, though.
ski holidays
achilles, yes I see what you're saying - Perhaps I meant there was no footage of 'carving' in the sense that most people understand - know what I mean? Maybe that's not the market Tom is aiming at... Maybe I'll shut up... Laughing
snow report
Tom from Austria, not too busy to post on TGR frequently though, eh? The skiers in your video look pretty terrible to me, almost as if they are not in control.
snow report
stuarth wrote:
Tom from Austria,
Not knocking your ingenuity but I have a few nagging doubts in my mind that perhaps you could address:

I can see a few problems with the concept of Rax as a freeride tool:
- Not being able to go backwards and sideslip to get out of really awkward spots.
- Lack of subtle edge control - don't think I'd want to be dropping cornices without that. It would be like doing it on race skis - done that once don't need to do it again! - but even worse! Shocked
- What happens when you (inevitably - see the bottom of my skis!) hit or have to ski/climb over a rock?

Aside from wondering how this design would allow any tighter turns in very steep terrain than a conventional ski, I quite like the whole concept just as long as the snow is reliably deep but would hate to think of the precariousness of the balancing required on boilerplate ... a bit like ice-skating I suppose. There are also plenty of occasions on my home hills where even if the snow is soft and no rocks are visible, peat, heather and grass are part of the skiing line and the additional drag of ploughing open that delicate natural habitat would be a bit much. This could I suppose be solved by a manually 'retractable keel' approach to the fin design. Either that or sonar sensing with suitable adaptive SciFi nano-technology. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Tom from Austria, ...

The second one is more interesting - love that punter falling over on the 'destroyed piste' - was that staged? ...

....despite mention carving there seems to be none. ...'

All Rax skis love riding down destroyed piste, nothing to be staged

Here is another video taken by carving enthusiasts

http://youtube.com/v/a6mrSiYMuN4
snow report
arv wrote:
Tom from Austria,...The skiers in your video look ...as if they are not in control.

Just to remember that winners in downhill Franz Klammer 1976 and Hermann Maier 1998
looked as if they were not in control.
Looking as if and actually controlling the run could differ from each other.

The criterium of "being in control":
can you safely turn with any radius, at any speed, on any terrain ?
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
I can see a few problems with the concept of Rax as a freeride tool:
1)- Not being able to go backwards and sideslip to get out of really awkward spots.
2)- Lack of subtle edge control
3)- What happens when you (inevitably - see the bottom of my skis!) hit or have to ski/climb over a rock?

4)... wondering how this design would allow any tighter turns in very steep terrain ...
5) hate to think of the precariousness of the balancing required on boilerplate ... a bit like ice-skating
6)... on my home hills where even if the snow is soft and no rocks are visible, peat, heather and grass are part of the skiing line and the additional drag of ploughing open that delicate natural habitat would be a bit much... This could I suppose be solved by a manually 'retractable keel approach to the fin design. Either that or sonar sensing with suitable adaptive SciFi nano-technology. Toofy Grin[/quote]

1) Putting the Rax ski on edge deactivates (lifts) fins and lets you slip aside as if you had no fins

2) Your Rax 2009 (unlike Rax 2008) is a shaped carver per se. See the last video for subtle edge control.

3) Unlike hooks fins could not be halted by a submerged rock, rather is the ski tail little bit knocked vertically
causing the same effect as if you were crossing iced-up tracks on conventional skis

4) "turning on the fins" is physically equivalent to turning on a imaginary pivot
represented by the three fins. No other ski but ice skate allows tighter turns as Rax skis

5) balancing "on ski tails / fins" is no prerequisite for first-time Rax skier. More than 400 testers like absolute
beginners from London at Axamer Lizum have started on full gliding surface followed by cautious attempts
to put some pressure on fins. Rax lets you simply turn so easily for it is so short.
Later on you can develop the art of "skating on ski" such improving the turns in very difficult conditions.

6) grass and rocks on your home hills ? don`t worry, be happy !
Rax ski likes them all but we recommend using steel fins instead of aluminium.
Forget nano-tech and retractable keel, steel is all you need to enjoy the nature at its best
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:
The criterium of "being in control":
can you safely turn with any radius, at any speed, on any terrain ?

Sounds fair enough...

Some more experienced skiers on here are still in control even when they fall over! Laughing
snow report
red 27, I think the fact that you are supposed to lean back when skiing these skis makes it all look a bit manic. By the way there was a lot of lively debate on the first prototype of these skis and a snowhead (can not remember who) met with Tom and tried them.
snow report
DB, I think, from reading this thread.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
red 27,... the fact that you are supposed to lean back when skiing these skis .. By the way there was a lot of lively debate on the first prototype of these skis and a snowhead ... met with Tom and tried them.

No, you are not supposed to lean back,
you are just supposed to ski these skis
as if you skied a shaped carver or a big mountain ski
- when you really want to find facts about Rax skis.

DB posted his report in Jan 2008.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35246

He was our 2nd tester worldwide then.
Since then the Rax technology developed so rapidly
that we can consider Jan 2008 the Rax paleolithikum.
Rax skis have learned carving, turning on ice plates,
gliding on powder, got more stable and easy turning for novices and kids.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-04-09 20:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:
...we can consider Jan 2008 the Rax paleolitikum.

Well, yes indeed, I guess we can if we had the faintest idea what "paleokastritsa" meant... Puzzled
snow report
I love these rax threads. The one on TGR is epic.

I'm waiting for the tele rax.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-04-09 22:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, love new ideas with skiing....lets just leave it polite and say I don't think I would like it! Little Angel
snow report
Tom from Austria, where did you get the Rossi 7SK donor skis and S727 bindings from? Are they (the bindings) safe any more?
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
red 27,... the fact that you are supposed to lean back when skiing these skis .. By the way there was a lot of lively debate on the first prototype of these skis and a snowhead ... met with Tom and tried them.

I thought on steep slopes you lean back to activate the fins at the rear of the RAX which allows you to ride the fall line?, which is why the guy on the video looks a bit out of control because he is in the 'back seat' Puzzled
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

I thought on steep slopes you lean back to activate the fins at the rear of the RAX which allows you to ride the fall line?, which is why the guy on the video looks a bit out of control because he is in the 'back seat' Puzzled

The rule is: the more critical the situation is you are just in,
the more you lean back to be able to brake rapidly or turn safely and/or quickly.
By the way: side-wall Rax fins can be also activated by putting skis on edge.

Meaning that you can carve down groomers on Rax skis while standing central.
The same is true for descending medium difficulty couloirs.

But with couloirs getting steeper, icier, narrower, stonier
and trees getting denser and slushier
you will learn to appreciate the Rax fins.
ski holidays
narc wrote:
I love these rax threads. The one on TGR is epic.

I'm waiting for the tele rax.

Yes, our Rax communities in New England and Tyrol
are pushing us to develop Rax skis with Telemark bindings.

Guess they will publish first test report then
listing all swolen noses on that day Razz
snow conditions
Hi,
the Spring doesn`t mean the end
of all skiing activities. Here some pics
taken on May 3 in eastern Austria

snow conditions
Kitzsteinhorn, May 10

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-05-09 19:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I am afraid we need far more detailed pictures in both cases. Is that a genuine onesy? Stop posting photos without a horizon for reference! At least something that doesn't scream 'I'm cropped to look steep'.
snow report
arv wrote:

1)... Is that a genuine onesy?

2) Stop posting photos without a horizon for reference! ...

1) No, it`s a puppet pasted on a genuine picture of a parking lot

2) As you like, arv

snow conditions
arv wrote:
...Stop posting photos ---(that)... scream 'I'm cropped to look steep'.

Are you referencing pictures taken on May 3rd ?

All are front views, camera being positioned approximately at the same height.
The distance to the object was about 20m.
As there are no smaller objects in the upper half of the pic
to assist you at building a perspective,
your eye evaluates the distance to the upper rim
the same as the one to the lower rim of the pic.
The result is that you compulsory perceive this scenery as a vertical wall.

Tell me, arv, how should we make this slope look steeper ?
snow report
Stuff the detailed pics, have you a frontal of the blond?
latest report
Picture at 2) just above is what all your photos should be like if you want people to believe how steep it is.

Edit, lol ^^ I would also like to request a front view and if you can be arsed a side view would be nice too. Thanks.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-05-09 22:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy