Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 20-27 January

Poster: A snowHead
Booked flights today. My first trip next season. With luck another later...

FlyBE from Southampton to Chambery. Travelling on Thursdays. £83 return incl all taxes etc. Much cheaper than w/end flights and hopefully less congestion and easier resort transfers. Civilised flight times and although I'm not taking skis FlyBE would guarantee carriage for £15 each way. At that price the Apres Ski budget will be a bit bigger than otherwise. Now investigating accom. with Flying Squirrel. Come on snow.... can't wait.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, I've emailed you re: accommodation from 22 to 26th Jan (inc) in the hotel I mentioned. Cannot get anything for 20-21st I'm afraid, but think you mentioned staying with PG for those nights?
Email me if you would like to take the booking.

cheers
F-S.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flying_squirrel, TVM - I have replied to both emails. Cheers

Edit - - hotel has now confirmed. Al es clar. Transfers is the next project.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, I have a friend who's travelling Thursday to Thursday. Not sure if he's booked his flights yet (was looking at Geneva), if not would it be worth me putting you two in touch about sharing transfers? He's going to BSM.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skanky, yes if he goes to Chambery let me know and maybe we can work something out. Options at present are car hire (but no luck with one-way drop off yet - might have to take the thing for the week), shared mini bus (by Airport Transfer Services) or perhaps a taxi to the station and train. I'm also going to BSM.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kuwait Ian, there is a shuttle bus from the airport to the station. There are ten trains daily from Chambery to BSM, takes about 2 hrs, stops at every station.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, thanks for the info. It's also extremely cheap. The train is virtually immune to bad weather and traffic problems. It's looking like the preferred option even if it takes some time. And on the way back, from Plan Peisey, I can train from Landry, I think. Would I be right in thinking that for these 'local' stopping trains, I can just turn up and buy tickets at the station ? No prebooking needed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, the local trains; TERs don't need a reservation. You're flying on Thurs. that flight arrives at 12.45, so allow 15 mins to get your bags, clear customs, you should be out of there by 13.15. There's a train at 14.17 which gets to Landry at 16.15 and BSM at 16.23. I can scan the schedule and email it to you if you like.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David@traxvax, cheers - email address is ian smith @ qualitynet . net
but without the spaces. I found some details on the SNCF web site but it will be handy to have a printed schedule in my pocket when I arrive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, no problem for 20th/21st....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Merci, M. PG. Can I bring you a bottle of something Scottish ? Or Marmite, or whatever ....... ? What's your favourite tipple ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very kind, but Scotch over here is cheaper than from the distillery back home! I get the occasional craving for a few pints of Theakston Best, followed by fish and chips, but there's nothing you can do about that I'm afraid. My fault for choosing to live so far away from civilisation wink

[5 minute pause] You know, I can't think of anything, other than the above, that I really miss. These days the supermarkets here sell everything from jelly to Chivers marmalade to golden syrup - eagerly snapped by all the Brits. Sometimes in the Super U you feel like you're in Tesco's.

Can't remember spotting any brown sauce though. How about a bottle?! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, I was surprised to find our local Carrefour sells HP Brown Sauce. Custard powder you can't get though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, I've left a message with him but as he does shifts I've not heard anything back. I'll let you know if I do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, I might be able to bring abottle of Theakstons over?
snow report
skanky, sounds good!
snow report
PG

How much Theakstons do you want? Normally I boot-leg the alcohol in the opposite direction.

I am driving a 7-seater Shogun and there are only the wife and I. We have to stop over in Monthey for 3 days first before coming to Bourg

I also need the address of the studio flat or should we drive up La Rosiere to your house first?

Going to Iran on Thursday and away for 2 weeks so I take it it would OK if we turn up on 26th late evening?

May need you to keep a list of snowheads in Tarentaise during my stay in Bourg.

-------------------------
Kuwait_ian

There may a chance for me going to Kuwait in early January. When will you be leving Kuwait?
snow report
saikee, thanks, but I've gone 8 years without a pint of Theakston's Best or XB, don't want to develop a taste for it again! A bottle or two would be nice though, it'll bring back a few memories....
ski holidays
saikee, probably around 16/17th. Need to get my E111, pick up cold weather gear, insurance papers etc. and maybe even call in at my Head Office in Croydon.
Have a good time in Iran. Saw on BBC WS Weather last night it's -1 C in Tehran. Skiing is a possibility. I've been up to Dizin mid-Dec once and from the look of the moguls etc it seemed the resort had been open for some time.
snow conditions
saikee, no problem with dates....
ski holidays
PG, BTW I've received the form and am waiting on the last person to book his flights (same person as mentioned above) before returning it.

Incidentally, three of us are arriving on teh overnight snowtrain, is there anywhere we can stash our stuff for the day, that morning? Even lockers at BSM statiuon would be fine.

I've asked here as others might find it useful info.
snow conditions
Can't remember the dates of the top of my head, but I don't mind picking you up from the snowtrain - you can leave your stuff at my place (couple of minutes from station by car) then I'll drop you off at the funicular....

There's a recent thread here somewhere about storage - the Brit-run ski shop that's right next to the funicular bottom station will store for the day, reasonable cost too.
latest report
That's very good of you. It's the 15th, but as we arrive at 6ish, I couldn't possibly take you up on that offer. 6am is a time to go to bed, not get up!

I'll have a look for that thread, thanks.
snow report
Take a look at my posting times, I'm always about at that time! Seriously, I regularly collected from that train last season, it's part of the service Cool
snow conditions
I'm hoping to be in Les Arcs that week (21st-30th) - anybody fancy meeting up for a bit of skiing?
snow conditions
Yes as long as I don't slow you down or restrict you too much. I'm no hot shot. Happier to pace you on apres ski quaffing in Flying Squirrel's bar. wink
ski holidays
PG, well in that case, it would be churlish to refuse. snowHead

rob@rar.org.uk & kuwait_ian, please see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2689 - we may want to bump it back up to view.
snow report
kuwait_ian, glad the hotel has worked out. I might add them to my 'portfolio' from now on.

PG, I have seen Bird's custard powder in SuperU in BSM. At about 3 euros per tin, it is cheaper to have it posted from the UK though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, David@traxvax, my mate's looking to fly to Chambery that day, though I'm not sure he knows what time he's landing yet. Can one of you let me have a copy of the timetable, please? I'll forward it on. kuwait_ian if you pm me your email address, I'll forward it on and send you his. It might be worth knowing at least one other travellor that day in case there's a problem with the trains.
snow report
Hi FS, good to see you posting again, does this mean all the work in your bar is finished?
snow conditions
skanky, my email address is further up this thread. When I get your mate's address, I can forward the timetable David kindly scanned and emailed to me. It's a bit feint when you print it out but better than nothing. (The SNCF web site is like watching paint dry.)
latest report
kuwait_ian, yeah, I found that when looking into travel earlier. David's very kindly sent me the time table which I've forwarded to him. I was going to pm you his email address with his flight times, but I'll pass yours on to him and get him to get in touch. He hadn't booked the flight last time I spoke to him.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy