Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots before hols...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I need to change my current boots before going away next week... I currently have Salomon Evolution2 7.0 which are about 7 years old and mondo 28.0. I've now been re-measured as 27.5... so 1cm shorter... jeez.. whats happened to my feet... I'm 100mm at the widest point... I've tried the current ones with a SuperFeet insole but they just didn't feel as good as a pair of Mission CF at 27.5...

I'm an intermediate to advanced skier... the flex of the current boots is 70... so I'm thinking about moving to a 90 instead.

I'm going to be going second hand (up to 2 seasons old) because I can't afford new at the moment...

I've seen the following possibles (all salomon):

- XWave 8 (2 seasons old)
- XWave 9 (2 seasons old)
- XWave 10
- Ellipse 8.0 (2007 model)
- Performa 8.0 (2007 model)

Any opinions on these?

Cheers

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No-one Sad

I need to do some ebay bidding pretty soon on these items... so if you do know anything, please share...

Cheers

Chris
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trembler, That's because you're daft to buy boots on e-bay. Get them fitted properly and save yourself a load of grief.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, you're playing Russian Roulette buying boots in this way. They could easily ruin your holiday.
You'd be better off keeping your existing boots until you can afford to get some new ones professionally fitted.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But my current boots are too big... so I have the option of hiring (which will obviously be naff) or going down this route... I'd be happy to give a second hand pair a day on the piste and see where I am and then possibly buy new out there... but can't really afford to to be honest...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
trembler, Lots of ski shops sell second hand gear - some of it really good. Why don't you go down this route first ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rental boots can work out fine, some shops even have mould-able liners now.
If buying, as others have said, get boots fitted in a shop, bad boots will ruin your skiing and thus your holiday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have got some Performa 8s.

Performa 8s are rubbish.

Don't buy Performa 8s.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
trembler, it's impossible to recommend boots without

a) knowing a lot about boot fitting
b) seeing your feet

I'd go down the rental route. At least if they don't work, you can take them back to the shop and swap them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I might be trying to persuade the wife to let me buy some Smile

Paulio - you saying Performa 8s are good then?

Elizabeth B - I'm more than happy to post a pic of my feet.... just kidding...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick question.... will it be cheaper to buy new boots out there in La Tania than over here in the UK? (which I notice has SkiHigher - the largest of their chain)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
trembler, another thing to throw into the cost argument (here VS there) is that it might take 3 or 4 hours out of your holiday to do it over there with the initial fitting and going back for any fine tuning.
If you buy over here then that time isn't taken out of the trip but then you can't nip in midweek to get them tweaked.

FWIW I bought at home (one of the snowHead bootfitting days) and haven't needed any work done on them since.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got x-wave 8's in UK size 9. I normally wear size 8.5 shoe. I had my boots properly fitted and had footbeds made and i'm very happy with them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier wrote:
trembler, another thing to throw into the cost argument (here VS there) is that it might take 3 or 4 hours out of your holiday to do it over there with the initial fitting and going back for any fine tuning.

I did suddenly realise that after I posted Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from La Tania and used Ski 2000. (think they have a website?)

Booked through Neilson and these guys were up at our chalet within 15 mins of arrival and all 11 of us in the chalet had equipment with an hour of their arrival as the guy was phoning through requirements as he went.

Had to visit on a few other occasions but was always seen to quickly.
ski holidays
Have Xwave 9's. No complaints..
snow conditions
Hi all,

The end of the story... I spent 2 hours in Ellis Brigham at MK this morning, got loads of great help and advice, walked round the shop for 25 mins twice (must have looked at everything they had in the store!), and walked away with a pair of heat-fitted, size 27 Salomon Mission 10s.... very comfortable and I'm wearing them right now at my desk while doing a bit of work Very Happy The flex is 90 so they're a bit stiffer than my old ones... and they obviously fit a lot better!

Cheers for the advice on here too...

Chris.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy