Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why oh Why do my calves hurt

Poster: A snowHead
I went out for the first 2 days of my season at the weekend and my calves are sore, thighs felt it too but they are fairly damn strong as I squat and lunge loads......... But my calves are/ were sore is this just cos they are weaker ? they tend to cramp up at spin etc or am I doing something wrong I dont think I lean back too much as my shins can tell I have been pushing forward as they are quite tender ??????

any advise please Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen LS, could it be that you spent a fair bit of time leaning back while on a drag lift?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll second that, I get more tired going up on a T bar than skiing down rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know what you're doing wrong - but, whatever it is, I do it too rolling eyes

I tend to think it's leaning too far forward so you end up stood on tippy-toes (which is about the only thing which works your calves hard).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen LS, My calfes ache if I have to walk around in me boots, or if I have to side step up a slope while queueing for a scottish drag lift! My gym instructor has just given me some excercises to strengthen my calves:

stand on a step on one foot - just have your toes on the step and your heel hanging off the edge. lower yourself down as far as you can, then raise yourself up on your tip toes. 2 sets of 10 on each foot. then when that's too easy for me, I've to add some weight by holding dumbells.

Running up hills.

It will be a few weeks before I can tell you if this makes a difference or not tho.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sheepmadang wrote:
Helen LS, .........stand on a step on one foot - just have your toes on the step and your heel hanging off the edge. lower yourself down as far as you can, then raise yourself up on your tip toes. 2 sets of 10 on each foot. then when that's too easy for me, I've to add some weight by holding dumbells.

This is not good practice - overstretching the Achilles is a big danger. Don't let heels drop below the level of the toes - as well as the risk of Achilles damage, it does nothing to strengthen calves.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some discussion of this issue here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34114

mine always seem to take a beating on my first trip then get better as the season progresses
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen LS, I have the same problem with my right calf only Puzzled.If you feel like your calf is slightly tight /solid/bruised then you are not doing anything wrong but plenty of calf stretches at the gym and immediatelely before and after skiing will improve your flexibility. At its worst the calf can completely lock up so you are unable to put your foot flat on the floor let alone walk.It is a matter of muscle memory and tends to happen to me early on the season and gets better as i ski more?Also I find dangling my legs off the chairlift rather than resting them on the footrest somehow helps relax my calves a bit Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yikes. Shocked I'd better ask her about that. She seemed to be wanting me to stretch the calves when lowering down and then work them by raising up. Maybe I'll just do the raising bit then, and do a normal calf stretch at the end.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen LS, I would think your calves are sore because you're in the correct position - forward. We concentrate a lot on building thigh muscles but our calves get overlooked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon wrote:
sheepmadang wrote:
Helen LS, .........stand on a step on one foot - just have your toes on the step and your heel hanging off the edge. lower yourself down as far as you can, then raise yourself up on your tip toes. 2 sets of 10 on each foot. then when that's too easy for me, I've to add some weight by holding dumbells.

This is not good practice - overstretching the Achilles is a big danger. Don't let heels drop below the level of the toes - as well as the risk of Achilles damage, it does nothing to strengthen calves.

Interesting. This exercise is part of my workout at the gym, with weights loaded onto my shoulders. I've always been told that it is OK and expected to drop below the 'toe line'. My calves certainly feel it afterwards.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen LS, Are your boots fitting correctly ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always done a stretch off a step with my heel below the step, but with no weights and no lowering/raising, just holding the position. Anyone know for definite what's right/wrong?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, me too, and then stretching up on tiptoes, it seems to really work the calf muscle. I'd like to know why it might not be a good idea too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow thanks a lot guys for all the advice I think maybe it was the drag button lift thing as you are definitely leaning back !

My boots are fitted properly I ended up going to that place in Banff last year is it Profeet ?? fully expecting to have to buy new boots but mine are the correct fit etc they just made some adjustments and told me not to walk round in them the walk to the bus stop in banff and the bus ride wasnt doing my feet any favours and led to my ankle bones being very swollen and sore and I had a little re appearance of this last weekend so maybe the trek across the car parks of scotland didnt help either !

As for the calf stretches I do stretch them out as I dont have any specific exercises I do for them, but on the stretch on a step I was specifically given this as a exercise to do when I had a big calf problem about 5 years ago from a sports physio!

Am glad to see its not just me though thanks x
snow conditions
Helen LS, cathy, and everyone

You have 2 main muscles in your calves - the gastrocnemius and the soleus. These muscles can suffer from poor training , as sports people may only do one type of calf stetch. The soleus is the smaller, and works alot when the knee is bent, producing most of the effort in pushing off from the ground.
Separate strectching exercises should be done - with the knee straight for the gastrocnemius and the knee bent for the soleus. If you lean (forwards) against a wall (or a bar during apres will do wink ) and move your legs back, keeping your heels flat on the floor until you feel a stretch, this will stretch the gastrocnemius. Standing on a step and lowering your heels , until you feel a gentle strtch will stretch your soleus.

Poor conditioning, lack of stretching or badly fitting shoes can lead to painful symptoms. Stetching after exercise or a sports massage will help with this.

I think if you normally wear high heeled shoes - switching to flat shoes, trainers or ski boots will contribute to soreness in these muscles, as you will be stretching them more than usual just by standing or walking around.

Hope this helps

Elaine
ski holidays
Thanks Mrs W, good to have some expert advice! Very Happy I'm also pleased to see I do both of those stretches (when I go to the gym Embarassed )
ski holidays
Those are the stretches CEM gave me a while back and a try and remember to do every morning before I put my boots on and in the evening when I take them off. If I remember, it's like night and day and I have no problems - if I forget, I'm hobbling and can barely get my heel on the ground the next morning
ski holidays
I know of many professionals who have the same problem right at the start of the season.

It also affects me when I haven't skied for a while.

Skiing as remembered the last time leads to the skier doing too much too soon. The answer is remembering to warm up slowly. if conditioning is not good, a slow warm up is essential. A warm bath helps with blood circulation as does some light exercise before skiing. The light excercise my be something as simple as walking uphill to the lift station for ten minutes or so. But it doesn't stop there...

When you start skiing, do simple excercises or turns. Don't launch yourself down the mountain for the continuation of the last run you remember. Ski lazily. Do some drills, Stretch. But above all, warm up slowly.

Some coaches suggest 15 second bursts. Get the breath back and increase the workload at a comfortable rate.

It works for me.
snow conditions
Helen LS, I used to suffer from this a lot and for me it was because I was in the back seat while I was skiing. I now have a lot more forward flex and don't have any problems with calf pain.
ski holidays
saxabar wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
sheepmadang wrote:

Interesting. This exercise is part of my workout at the gym, with weights loaded onto my shoulders. I've always been told that it is OK and expected to drop below the 'toe line'. My calves certainly feel it afterwards.

I have just started a programme at the gym desiged for me to help prepare me for my ski trip this year and it includes this same machine - and I am finding it very hard too!

Experts: Can we have some direct comments please?

Does this overstretch the Achilles?
    Is this a danger?
    If so, what precautions ought to be taken while doing the exercise?
snow conditions
Mrs W, Thanks for the advice I am probably very lazy at stretching my calves unless I have been running which I havent for a while !

I think the problem may be related to the fact I only ever wear trainers or boots these days as I dont wear proper girly shoes for work !!

I will start a decent stretching program for the next ten days and while I am away ......... I just need my legs to stop shaking from body pump first !
snow report
Helen - I have exactly the same problem, I play alot of hockey so my hammies and calves are "tight".

I reckon I'm going to start some stretching now before a weekend away at the end of Feb.

To summarise the discussion so far, we've had

a) your sitting too far back
b) your sitting too far forward
c) stretch on the stairs
d) don't stretch on the stairs!

Confusing!!!
latest report
I checked with a physio I know, no problems doing the calf lowers on a stair where the heel drops below the toe....worked well for me today relieving a stiff calf muscle Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy