Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing bottomless powder

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Niseko (Japan) next week for what is sure to be a genuine powder heaven experience. They have had non stop heavy snow showers recently with even more forecasted this week and into next! Very Happy

Now that is all fine and well but my only concern is that i haven't EVER skied in powder that deep before - reports of chest/head deep powder keep being reported.

Are there any special techniques for skiing bottomless powder?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a snorkel?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
make sure the slope is fairly steep and head straight down it - I skiied chest deep powder in Coumayeur last week and it was so heavy I was being slowed down on anything less than a red run
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hornster, the trick is.......realise that there is no such thing as bottomless, and then try and find the bottom wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strap two snowboards to your feet and hope you float! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hornster, Fat skis and speed. Toofy Grin Try to be efficient - don't burm too much energy 'cos it's tiring !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm assuming that the same techniques for knee deep powder apply for chest/head deep champagne powder? I just keep imagining having difficulty trying to get my ski tips above the snow when turning.

All the reports I have read are mentioning super light fluffy powder.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hornster, My top tip is to stop rubbing it in you lucky swine wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The_Hirsty, sorry. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smile, you'll be in heaven. Laughing Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hornster wrote:
I'm assuming that the same techniques for knee deep powder apply for chest/head deep champagne powder? I just keep imagining having difficulty trying to get my ski tips above the snow when turning.

If you have to get your tips above the snow to turn in knee deep then I suggest you're doing something wrong already - they may come above the surface but they shouldn't have to. Main points I've encountered are:
- keep a reasonable speed up (which will give you float),
- avoid twisting your feet if at all possible (otherwise you'll twist them out of the skis, or you'll trip yourself up),
- "bounce"/extend-flex the legs to get a) a bit of extra snow density/platform under you and b) bend the ski into a curve
- push the skis slightly to the side while extending to get them to ride that curve and turn naturally - never force them to turn
- invest in some powder tracers Wink (and there was a great tip on here just recently, can't remember where - use some small accessory karabiners to attach them to your bindings so you can unclip them easily when you get to a gondola, a pair cost about a fiver)
- yelp with joy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, that's what I was looking for - thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My pleasure, And another thing...
- stance width is probably a bit controversial (some say narrow, some say wider for stability), but the most important thing is to get your legs moving equally - i.e. NO pedalling. My best runs have always been when I've pretended I'm on a monoski (not that I ever have for real), and ensured that my knees move exactly together, with no vertical separation at all. For that I find having a very narrow stance helps the most.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure your weight is totally even between skis as deep powder is less forgiving. Bounce and get a good rhythm, I find counting "1, 2, 1, 2" etc helps. ANd if you fall over, keep your mouth closed and remember which way is up, you may feel like you#re drowning!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN wrote:
invest in some powder tracers Wink (and there was a great tip on here just recently, can't remember where - use some small accessory karabiners to attach them to your bindings so you can unclip them easily when you get to a gondola, a pair cost about a fiver)

I saw a chap in Courmayeur who was using lengths of that plastic red-and-white hazard tape tied onto his bindings and tucked into his gaiters
ski holidays
nbt, yes, I have heard of people doing all sorts of imaginative things to improvise as powder tracers. I bought some nice bright yellow tracers from S&R last week. All I need to do now is buy a couple of those really small karabiners so that I can easily clip on and off to bindings for gondola as I can't be arsed to keep unthreading and rethreading them from my bindings.
ski holidays
just wrap them round your skis a few times
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Bounce and get a good rhythm, I find counting "1, 2, 1, 2" etc helps.

Me too or maybe 'one' and 'two' in a sesame street 'The count' Stylee wink
ski holidays
You probably just want to ignore this but I googled it as I remember a friend in Utah talking about it - its got to be ridiculously unlikely...

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20080119/NEWS/52037353

Shocked
latest report
Maybe a bit more constructive is this link...http://www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com/ snowHead
snow conditions
kewhoward, in my experience falling into tree wells happens quite frequently. Hence my theory that each tree conceals a miniature black hole at its heart Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yoda, I meant to say that the "NARSID" (don't you just love 'em) risk was extremely unlikely...hope so anyway!!!.

How is the skiing in "La Merde"?
snow conditions
Japan snow is REALLY light, so if you can ski knee deep elsewhere, it wont matter how deep it gets, you will be fine. if you can't ski powder at all, you are in for a lot of fun learning
snow report
kewhoward, not as good as La Rosiere, but I guess you knew that already Laughing

I have been sucked into a few tree wells but as a skier have been able to extricate myself. However a boarder friend was riding alone in Tahoe a few years back when she found herself upside down in a potential NARSID situation. Very fortunately someone else came along and got her out in time. Another good reason for not riding trays Toofy Grin
snow report
I think everyone else should stay well away from treelined off-piste on big powder days. Let me take all the risk Smile
ski holidays
This is how you ski bottomless powder Smile

http://www.kingswoodskis.com/home/

Goddam look at the thickness of the MegaFat ---- 146mm waist ... holy poo-poo.

Big Up!
snow report
uktrailmonster, I couldn't possibly allow you to expose yourself like that. 'Cuz I'm a caring sort of guy, see.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy