Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How did you discover snowHeads?

How did you find snowHeads?
Another snowHead told me about the site
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
I clicked a link on another site (not a news story)
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
I saw a news story on another site and clicked a link
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I was using a search engine (which one?) and saw a snowHeads reference
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
I can't remember
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
I can remember but I'm not telling you
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify)
30%
 30%  [ 29 ]
Voted : 94
Total Votes : 96

Poster: A snowHead
Big discussions on SCGB forum on MO day. Both Alan Craggs & U Brain set up new public forums but U Brain had the better URL (sorry Alan) and it took off. I Joined as soon as I could.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

U Brain had the better URL

well that's true, he did - but to set the record straight we were not "rival" forums - it appears that we both had the same idea at about the same time, and quickly became aware of each other's efforts. After some brief discussions it was obvious that U had access to greater resources - I thought then that bandwidth and server space might be the problem, as it turns out I think time and ability would have been the real constraints for me rolling eyes - so I was quite happy to see him carry on with it, and to redirect any lost souls from the SC site appearing on my forum to here.

I think that it was Alex Presland Puzzled (correct me if 'twas someone else) on the old SC forum who had suggested that they should use "decent" software such as phpbb on their site, and that inspired me to do something whilst I was floundering around after MO day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I remember the public discussion over 'resources'. (Isn't it nice when things are friendly & public Little Angel )

I think there were quite a few people suggesting SC should use phpbb, but I got the impression they were (are?) locked into Microsoft. Or maybe with something sort of working perhaps they didn't want to make the effort to change to something new to them, a view I can understand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in severe danger of diverting this thread too far off piste but just as a final rolling eyes comment my phpbb forum is running on a Windows 2003 server and I also run a test phpbb forum on Windows 2000 /Apache. There is also commercially available asp forum software which looks almost identical to phpbb, so it's not a problem of being "locked in" to Microsoft per se.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After being kicked out of SCGB forum I spent days (weeks?) trying to remember people's names and googling them - not even knowing if they were real names of not! I finally came up with a vague memory of someone (couldn't remember who but would know it if I heard it - you know what I mean) working at a dry ski slope in Cardiff. Googling again, I found it was Alan Craggs. And the rest, as they say, is history snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw you lot being talked about on Ifyouski.com and have not had any spare time since
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pointed here by Alan Craggs when on Ski Cardiff the day or so after MO day. Thanks for that Alan - not so sure wife is though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DGO told me about the site, I was going to join SCGB forum when they shut it down to outsiders and he told me about Snowheads so here I am. Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
via skicardiff. I still remember the sense of outrage at MO day, and relief at SH day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
voted for other as an ex ski club forunite
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got a message from Elizabeth B on Friends Re-united asking if I was the same P Holland who was on SCGB and if I would like to come here!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got emailed by Pete Horn and alexpresland after being chucked off the SCGB forum as a non-member. Haven't looked back! snowHead

I've joined SCGB since (for reasons not associated with any forum) but I don't bother frequenting their discussion pages.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarah_L found me lost in the wilderness after MO day and pointed me here, I've been here ever since....can't seem to break the habit snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw it mentioned on the SCGB site. (Is that just "another site" or "other"?)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good question, snowball, and a failing of the poll options. I don't think I'm allowed to go back and tamper with the answers because this would corrupt the results.

As with most of these exercises, the comments people are giving are much more interesting than the statistical result.

That said, a Swingometer has been ordered, and ...

... Peter snowHead will be with us shortly to maintain interest in this thread, as the results roll in from around the country

[Photo copyright BBC. With acknowledgments]
latest report
Elizabeth B also found me through friends reunited. Pleased she did.
snow report
Reading and participating on the other site, changed straight over like most other people that were truly interested in hearing and, exchanging views and opinions on the topic of our mutually favourite sport.
latest report
I think I found this through a link on a post on a skimag.com forum. I was getting bored with that one because no one was posting (mind you, I won't be posting for a few days - I'm going skiing Very Happy ).
snow report
I also had an email from Ian Hopkinson via Laura Z from the SCGB address list.
Chuffed to bits (and grateful) to find Snowheads thriving.

If Snowheads gets too big is there not a danger of ending up back where the SCGB was?
Also, if we continue to grow organically, I think that will ensure a more solid base of contributing members who have had to either work a bit to find us, or find out by word of mouth etc.
I don't worry too much about the knowledge base increasing as with a 1000 members, there's already an incredible wealth of experience - and people only too willing to share it. This is the SCGB's biggest loss!!
latest report
I posted a thread on thorntree.com (I think it was called that) I was looking for some info on traveling to the Alps, they told me to come here!
ski holidays
I was buried deep in the snow, when this big dog with a barrel round his neck started licking me.

In the barrel was this laptop with this as homepage, and a hip flask. Just got to find out what the hip flask was for now........

Or was it the otherway round? I found a hip flask, and starting drinking, and then this page found me?

I can never remember when there's alchol involved!!!
snow conditions
Boing!
ski holidays
SCGB forum kept referring to snowheads all the time
latest report
And welcome to snowHeads chrisb! snowHead
snow report
Occasionally used to lurk in the ski.com.au forum back home, and thought there might be a similar forum over here. I used google to find ski forums, and found this one. Cool
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, bunsen snowHead

admin spent many happy hours trying to make us Google friendly - seems it has paid off!
ski holidays
I found it during a search on Google.
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads, whitesandsbeach snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My other half kept this site secret for 8 months then I clocked him typing away merrily, being an ex Ski Club member I immediatly registered as i loved the banter last year from Ski Club until they decided to charge folk. I have since mentioned this site to a couple of work colleagues who have since joined. wink
ski holidays
Snowbird, 8 MONTHS Exclamation - that's criminal snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I used google to find ski forums, and found this one.
Ski Forum = 4th place on Google !! (not bad out of 9.5m pages found)

Welcome to snowHeads bunsen, whitesandsbeach, and everyone else snowHead

8Months!!!! Shocked
snow report
sarah@alpedhuez, me, too!
snow report
suggested from a message on the BBC holiday website
thanks snowHead
snow conditions
looking for Puy st vincent stuff on google n came up wiv u guys Very Happy
ski holidays
We've had a lot of new arrivals since this thread was last posted to.

So how did you discover snowHeads?
snow report
I was pasted a link by Alan into YIM on one of the threads and told to have a read..........
snow conditions
I was watching Phoenix Nights on DVD when I saw a vision.
ski holidays
About this time last year, I was searching for Les Arcs webcams and came across PGs site, checked out his apartment availability and noticed a couple of weeks booked out to snowheads end of season bash - no idea what that was all about but clicked a link through to here and ever since, have been very glad I did.
latest report
I was led here by a posting on Natives.............................
snow report
Snowbird wrote:
My other half kept this site secret for 8 months then I clocked him typing away merrily, being an ex Ski Club member I immediatly registered as i loved the banter last year from Ski Club until they decided to charge folk. I have since mentioned this site to a couple of work colleagues who have since joined. wink

I dont think so snowbird. As normal, as soon as the snow melts you head for summer sun and beaches. You woke up at the first frost and found out about MO day.

I always get the blame !!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy