Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed on slopes question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike wrote:
64mph! That's mental! We have a speed-trap at the bottom of the Haneggschuss in Wengen (they leave it there after the downhill race) and the best anyone can do after a long steep schuss is about 100kph (62mph). And that's on a roped-off track!

My best there is 87kph on the board, if you go from higher up and jump the fence into it you can get faster but it's rarely smooth enough for me when I'm in the mood to gun it straight down. Speed doesn't interest me that much.

I tend to board fast this year (must be the frustration of being stuck indoors all day) but it can only be around 50 to 60 kph, with music and soft drugs Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great read, I am planning on buying a GPS soon, and look forward to finding out how fast i actually ski
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just managed 72.7 mph on the Trolles.

Twisted Evil

Found that my cruising speed on a motorway blue is about 55/60mph. Surprised me. Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a piste here which comes down near a hairpin bend we drive round, then goes exactly alongside the road for a bit, fairly flat. I saw a woman turning down the piste this morning - competent, and quite quick, but absolutely not any kind of daft speed - it's only a blue piste. She then slowed down a lot, as she was just straight running down the much flatter bottom of the piste, to bring people almost to a halt before they have to go through the chicane gap in the net and take their skis off. We clocked her at 25mph on our car speedo - I was extremely surprised the speed was so high. Even if our speedo is 10% out, she was doing over 20mph, and must have been doing over 30 turning down the blue. Over 40 or 50 going fast seems highly likely.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blue pistes are probably the ones where any competent skier doing long radius turns will be going over 40mph regularly.

Spikyhedgehog, Where did you tuck from? I knew it would be possible to top 70 on that run. Skin tight Jacket? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
markP, just from the second lip, after carving down from the top lip.

Was just wearing my normally baggy Burton jacket, I sat right down on my skis though. Fun stuff. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you could probably walk quicker than I can ski Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy