Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plymouth Ski Slope. Ouch.

Poster: A snowHead
I went to to some practice before going to France in a few weeks time. It's been two years since I went last. Im like most skiers in UK I think? The odd week every year. Intermediate. Confident at the end of the week holiday to go down blacks.

I fell over 5 times! That is more than the last few years put together.

The slope was John Nike white "greengrocers grass" and it was like skiing on grass. And when it rained, then it was like skiing on ice. No edges possible!

The drag lift was such hard work on my thighs. Good exercise I think.

Are all dry slopes this hard work? I really do hope my usual skills come back on snow because this was terrible.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All dry slopes are cr*p. (My opinion).

The Plymouth slope is by far and away the cr*ppest thing on Earth. (Everyone's opinion).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wobbler,

Welcome to Snowheads.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes, forgot that. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wobbler, in Plymouth, stick to bowls. Did Sir Francis Drake get involved in skiing? No he didn't.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wobbler, welcome to snowHeads. great name.

I remember when the slope opened. Derriford A&E did really good business. I believe someone broke both wrists the first weekend it was open, but it's a splendid view of Marsh Mills roundabout... Toofy Grin

skisimon, with you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon,

"Everyone" obviously hasn't been to Bracknells main slope lately, it's in an absolutely dire state of repair.

Can't believe there's a worse one out there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for the welcome. I am enjoying reading all the posts as revision.

I agree. The skiing was truly rubbish. However my thighs had got used to the punishment by the end of 1.5 hours. Is it any use for fitness training? It seemed to be too much drag lift and not enough skiing for my liking. I do think I got something out of it.

mainly bruises from the white "Wet'n'Dry" the place is made from. Make sure you tuck your t-shrt in before falling over!

Is it worth doing any more sessions before going to the snow? Or should I go to the gym instead? Would hurt less maybe?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wobbler,

Only thing you can do on the dry slope at Plymouth is improve your side slipping!

Best to stay away from there Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The John Nike surface is universally considered cr*p by all except JN's insurers, who charge a lot less for it than a conventional (i.e. dendix) dry slope with its allegedly higher injury rate.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Filling in the holes was a good idea. How many broken thumbs?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wobbler,

I'm not sure how that place makes any money, it's always empty (apart from you of course Embarassed )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was very busy. There was me. An English snow boarder practising falling down. A Canadian snowboarder who gave up. A very pretty girl beginner getting all the attention from an instructor and her older friend/mother who wasn't.

The cafe had a meeting going on of Energy engineers. Maybe the coffee is very expensive?

I was going to go every week. I think I will save my money/skin and go to the gym instead. I haven't had scabs on my knee since I was six.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wobbler, welcome to snowHead s. There are some snowHead s here who even race on artificial slopes Shocked . However I am from the school that will only slide on the real stuff (after a fall on the slope in Southamptom in which I managed to hurt 2 thumbs at the same time).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wobbler, welcome to snowHead s! I am one of the aforementioned nutters that races on the artificial slopes Very Happy and I always thought dendex was the most horrible thing on earth.... rossendale was my least favourite slope, despite being home slope at the time, as the matting was so worn it had no grip - or so I thought. My OH is in the Navy and is currently based in Plymouth, having got the skiing bug on his first ski hol last year he decided to go to the dryslope there to get some practice and work on things before returning to the snow - he complained it was really horrible and I just assumed it was the usual, dryslope horrible compared to snow, until he came along to rossendale with me one night when I was training and had a ski there and said it was so much better than Plymouth Shocked "i can actually get some grip" he said.... I have since realised that everyone does indeed think plymouth is the worst dryslope in existence! OH still goes tho....thinks it's better than nothing, and I spose at least you are less likely to break your thumbs than on dendex Very Happy rumour has it Jonh Nike are considering changing their slopes back to dendex due to universal hatred of the current surface..... tho whether it will ever actually happen is another thing rolling eyes
ski holidays
Wobbler wrote:
A very pretty girl beginner getting all the attention from an instructor and her older friend/mother who wasn't.

They're obviously striving to make it as like the real skiing experience as possible.
snow report
After returning from the ski trip last year (not my most successful) I decided to try the runcorn dry slope. Drag lift nearly killed me, slope robbed me of any dignity I might have had, lost control totally and flew down straight with my eyes bouncing in their sockets, blindly slammed into the fence at the bottom. Took the skis off and left.

Place was pretty busy though, had booked a lesson but can't remember the instructor saying anything more than 'hello'.
latest report
People who ski on dendix regulary should be rewarded with free ski holidays pro rated for the amount of time spent on the dry slope.
ski holidays
I'll 2nd 3rd and 4th that Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Yep I broke my thumb after it snapped in the holes on the diamond style slope in Sheffield (crappy) Ski Village, I believe that was before it was refurbished but I have never been back!
latest report
Ah Dendix, I love the stuff!!! Little Angel
snow report
Southampton is pretty bad from what I remember. Some of the edges of the mats are folded up so you have to watch out the ends of your skis don't get stuck in them Shocked
ski holidays
troublemaker, Puzzled Raced there this summer - seemed OK Puzzled Soton is probably one of the better ones (certainly compared to carpetland).
snow conditions
Only real men can ski on Dendix Toofy Grin Snow is for pussies NehNeh It takes me a full night to get used to the Dendix again after being on the snow. Love teh smell of burning though when you hockey stop.
snow report
ski, maybe it has improved since last time I went then. I haven't been there in over a year.
snow report
Ordhan wrote:
People who ski on dendix regulary should be rewarded with free ski holidays pro rated for the amount of time spent on the dry slope.

At approximately 6 hours a week all year round how many free holidays do I qualify for?
(I'm a real Girl, so do I qualify for extra holidays?)
latest report
Ordhan wrote:

oh yes please!! Very Happy Very Happy

troublemaker, I'm with ski on this one, soton is not a bad slope - even tho I kept falling over coming over the crest onto the smaller slope at the CN Embarassed Mind you I used to live in soton and train there and I do remember stopping race training a few times cos matting was sticking up and people were hurting themselves - think it depends whether you go just before or just after they've had someone out on the slope wiring all the matting down again! Very Happy
snow report
I'm another Plymouth walking wounded, usually a very competent skier that falls over a max of 2 times a week on snow despite skiing at speed on all sorts of runs. The first time I tried Plymouth I fell over 3 times in one hour, usually with the edge giving up and sliding away underneath me. The surface is a combination of no grip, variable resistance (top is like skiing on sheet ice with no edges, bottom like skiing on earth) and to top it all there are areas where the surface has come away.

The second and third time I tried it I fared better but it really is completely different to skiing on snow. I'm 182 cm and they gave me 160 cm skis originally- I found that going up in size to 170 cm helped get me more grip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vivski,

Quote:

I kept falling over coming over the crest

I seem to have two choices there 1) Fall or 2) B****r up the turn and loose any speed Laughing
snow report
ski, indeed! After swearing at myself vociferously about the incidents I decided to watch the top people doing it and virtually noone managed to carve round there, which is what I was trying to do to carry speed - seems one of those places that a skidded turn is required! rolling eyes better to lose a bit of speed than to lose all the time involved in falling over and picking yourself up again Laughing tho at least I yet again provided an opportunity for Neil from Racer Ready to get some extremely unflattering pictures of me sliding down the slope! rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
Nick L, I've used the Southampton ski slope a few times, I didn't find it to bad wink
latest report
Twice, Iwasn't blaming the Southampton ski slope particularly, just dry slopes in general (actually it was more likely caused by my lack of skill)
ski holidays
Hi, all just to report that things have improved and the issues you guys describe has gone away! It does get sticky and difficult to use in dry weather but runs well in the wet. Apparently they are installing a sprinkler type system to keep the slope wet. Apparently this should reduce the severe wear on the skis and make for a better experience all round.
Apparently they replaced the surface with a second generation that performs better and put down a spongy underlay which takes some of the impact out if you fall.
It still needs a little tlc and the drag lift is still hard on the legs, my kid went all day every day for a week with their school and absolutely loved it!!!

So in general sounds like things have changed for the better! Very Happy
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads weeza73.

I admire you tenacity for digging up a nearly three year old posting!

Enjoy the site snowHead
latest report
weeza73 wrote:
Hi, all just to report that things have improved and the issues you guys describe has gone away! It does get sticky and difficult to use in dry weather but runs well in the wet. Apparently they are installing a sprinkler type system to keep the slope wet. Apparently this should reduce the severe wear on the skis and make for a better experience all round.
Apparently they replaced the surface with a second generation that performs better and put down a spongy underlay which takes some of the impact out if you fall.
It still needs a little tlc and the drag lift is still hard on the legs, my kid went all day every day for a week with their school and absolutely loved it!!!

So in general sounds like things have changed for the better! Very Happy

I am interested to see the sprinklers in and will head up there a lot more often when they are working. The matting reduces the impact of falling - but you still get some nice burns.

I have skied up there when its been raining really hard and it was great - no ski damage at all. But it was a totally different story in the dry!
snow report
I was in Plymouth when it first opened in ?? 1988 and they had dendix, and - I think - sprayers.

So much for progress...

I do remember that someone broke both arms on opening day... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yes, 1988

and yes, dendix and sprayers

Alex Leaf was the first Head Instructor, joined later by Dave Renouf and Pete Baker

Is three BASI Trainers at the same artificial slope at the same time a record?

Don't remember any broken arms on the first day, but have a vague memory of the owner breaking both arms after going over the fence
latest report
Wobbler - Count me as one who broke his thumb at Plymouth - a couple of weeks after it opened - can still see the scar where they pinned it at Derriford.
I seem to remember that A&E had a sign up that said anyone with ski injuries would be put at the back of the queue and only treated when the staff had nothing better to do
Soon after I left Plymouth and moved to Tamworth - couldn't believe the difference back then of skiing on "real" snow
ski holidays
Quote:

I seem to remember that A&E had a sign up that said anyone with ski injuries would be put at the back of the queue and only treated when the staff had nothing better to do

Laughing
my OH dislocated a thumb at Gloucester. The receptionist had a pile of maps of how to get to A & E. when we arrived there with the sticking out thumb it didn't take long to triage..... He did a worse injury at Swadlincote though - puncture wound in the calf, having stabbed himself (through his jeans Shocked ) with a ski stick.

I've skied several times at southampton, though not for some years now - it's OK, as artificial slopes go, I think. Last time I went there was because OH had bought new boots at Filarinskis (they manage the slope IIRC) and he had a free voucher to try them out at So'ton before going back for adjustments. I didn't bother to ski but enjoyed watching a group of 6 teenagers having their first snowboard lesson - they were jolly brave.
ski holidays
From reading all the negative reports here: snowHeads are a pile of wimps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy