Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hotronics- M4 pack- first outing

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I would let you know , for those who replied earlier

I bought (well OH did) some hotronic footwarmers and had them fitted on Sat night. Used them on Sunday for first outing in temps of around -16 to -18 and they did pretty well. I only had them on setting 2 and they kept the cold at bay. Feet were slightly cold after two hours, but I reckon that could be rectified by using setting 3, last time I skied in the cold, say -12 or so, after 1 hr 20 mins my feet were agony for defrost. So pretty pleased

Gryphea
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cheers gryphea, just looking at possibly dealing on those so good to know! just need to find out if will work with surefoot custom footbead, but hoping some searching on other threads should answer this one
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatmansan,

I have now used these hotronics for around a season. I couldn't live without them. The idea is not that they make your feet hot, then they would sweat and expand, but they prevent your feet from getting cold.

The battery packs have been slightly abused and still seem to work well. By mistake I left them in the garage when it got down to about minus 35 ish.

I figured I spent so much money skiing that it was silly to be in agony and have to cut short the sking etc.

Gryph
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info. My wife was thinking about getting some of these as she often suffers from cold feet and for whatever reason hotties just don't work for her in boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea, where do you have them on your boots(what boots?)? I destroyed a battery when the Cascade chair at Norquay came round and broke the lead in the boot..

After that I just didn't get on with them at all and found them more of a pain; then again the cold weather and just about stopped for the season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, The instructions recommend fitting the battery pack on the side of your boots rather than at the back to avoid damage from chairlifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, it is not possible on my boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, can you not attach them to the side of your power straps?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just bought some Atomic M80's, the battery pack sits on the back of the boot. I hadn't thought about possible damage from chairlifts Confused I hope it shouldn't be a problem as at 5ft 7in the chairs usually get me just above the cuff - I have the bruises to prove it Sad But for a man where the boots come up higher on the calf it could very well hit the battery packs which obviously wouldn't do them much good.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 15-01-09 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster, no, too loose on the outside, a couple buddies have lost battery packs doing the very thing so the back of the shell is the only option(obviously the inside isn't an option. It is fine if you are careful enough or ride resorts with only high speed detachable!s...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gryphea wrote:
I only had them on setting 2 and they kept the cold at bay. Feet were slightly cold after two hours, but I reckon that could be rectified by using setting 3

Just a word of warning, I have got Thermics which I think are very similar, I thought this last week, my feet were so numb/cold that I turned up to setting 3, I burnt my foot Crying or Very sad

I think my feet were numb due to a combination of cold and new boots, they were so numb that I couldn't feel the burning until it was too late.

I probably only had them on this setting for less than hour but I read in the instructions (after) Embarassed that this setting shouldn't be left on for more than 40 mins as there is a risk of burns.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, I have Hotronics and can run them on level 4 all day long.. maybe I have just been lucky rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, that's interesting as this was a new set and I don't remember having any problems with the old set and don't remember anything about not using them on level 3 for extended periods.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have Hotronics and did get a lead damaged by a chairlift (or something - never discovered exactly what) at one point, so I had to get some replacements. I think they could be fitted in with any kind of footbed. I keep meaning to sit down one evening and work out a kind of safety strap so that the battery packs wouldn't get lost, even if they got knocked off (in fact I could be doing that right now!). I pull the elasticated bottoms of my ski trousers right down underneath them, which would probably help.

I agree with gryphea that when we spend so much on skiing, it's worth spending the extra to avoid cold feet, which are miserable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimum wrote:
I've just bought some Atomic M80's, the battery pack sits on the back of the boot. I hadn't thought about possible damage from chairlifts :? I hope it shouldn't be a problem as at 5ft 7in the chairs usually get me just above the cuff - I have the bruises to prove it :( But for a man where the boots come up higher on the calf it could very well hit the battery packs which obviously wouldn't do them much good.

Sort of depends on how much the lifties build up the snow on the platform, no?
snow report
pam w, yeh, if you come up with something let me know although i do need a replacement battery from somewhere due to said breakage Laughing
snow report
arv, is your missing one a rechargeable one, or the older kind you put actual batteries inside? I have a spare one of the latter.
latest report
pam w, thanks but it is rechargeable, I can pick one up but I won't be in the Rockies till next year so I don't see the point really. Will be cheaper there as well Very Happy
snow report
comprex, hadn't thought of that rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

Sort of depends on how much the lifties build up the snow on the platform, no

After heavy snow here last year some of the seats were noticeably closer to the ground.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster,

Would really recommend them. I think hotties need oxygen and so don't work well in boots- plus they get too hot I think

arv,

I put them on the outside side, slot them down in powerstrap. I then place my salopettes (snowpants over here) over them. The elastic at the bottom is quite snug. So no losses so far.

The main thing with these is I no longer cry in defrost pain!!!

Gryph
snow report
gryphea, great to hear a year down the line and you're still a big fan. i'm off to spend some of my hard-earned cash before heading out next week!
ski holidays
fatmansan,

They should work with Surefoot footbeds. Haven't you contacted Surefoot they are on your tube line.
snow report
welshflyer, bloody good shout! didn't even know there was a shop in London but having just checked the web, found it

happy days, and cheers for the post!

EDIT: For anyone considering Surefoot shop in London, they only stock Thermics (and the Liion model, which is their newish top model is expensive @ £250, whereas you can get it elsewhere for £215 (even snow and rock!)).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 17-01-09 10:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
arv wrote:
uktrailmonster, no, too loose on the outside, a couple buddies have lost battery packs doing the very thing so the back of the shell is the only option(obviously the inside isn't an option. It is fine if you are careful enough or ride resorts with only high speed detachable!s...

So are you saying that the power strap mount doesn't work very well, or is it just a feature of your specific boots? I haven't personally used them, only read the mounting instructions, but I couldn't see any obvious problems. What exactly makes them too loose mounted on the side? Cheers.
snow conditions
Bloke in local ski shop this weekend said they do sell extension cords for the Hotronics, if you want to keep the batteries in your pockets...

An alternative, for sure, as all the forums suggest some potential damage from chair lift. Guess you'd need to run the wire up the inside of your leg, so not sure how comfy it would all be, but thought i'd share it anyway!
snow report
for the record, just got back from 2 weeks in the states, where temps in big sky hit -20 fahrenheit, not sure what that is in real money, but suffice to say was bloody cold. the Hotronic M4s worked a charm.

Found this as well for powerstrap mounting -> http://cozywinters.com/shop/hf1503.html and these worked a treat and remove any concerns about chair lifts etc hitting your batteries/cord

highly recommended
latest report
fatmansan,

Glad to hear your trip and hotronics worked well ( I alwasy get nervous recommending things).

-20 F is fairly cold

Power strap fixing looks good and may look to get one

Gryph
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea, cheers for the post in the first place - I'll certainly never be looking back to the days of cold painful feet again. Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy