Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1-Ski Quiver recommendations for a new intermediate skier PLEASE!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I am a newly-hooked skier, and I have already progressed to what most descriptions would call an advanced beginner/early intermediate skier. I feel comfortable skiing blues (greens are boring now). I am still a little uncomfortable with high speeds, but I am getting used to it. I like medium to long radius turns, but sometimes play around with quicker turns. I do not know how to carve yet... I skid through turns a lot. I'm not really interested in moguls.

My stats:
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 150 lbs
Location: California (will be doing most of my skiing at Tahoe... but I have skied in Colorado, and I will also try out Utah and Western Canada - Whistler)

I am looking to purchase my first set of skis. I am looking for the following characteristics:

1) I need a ski that is good for my current skill level, but can also carry me through to the next level. I've been taking lessons, which helped me progress very quickly.
2) I need a ski that can handle all-mountain ski conditions. I don't want to buy several sets of skis. I mostly ski groomed resort runs, but I want to a ski that can handle icy runs, too. As I get better, I am sure I will get addicted to fresh powder, so my ideal ski would handle that well too.
3) I need a ski that is relatively inexpensive. I love new technology and would like to get the newest 2008 skis, but I don't want to unload a whole lot of money. If that means getting a 2007 or 2006 ski at clearance prices, I can deal with that. However, if there are solid skis from 2008 that are cheap, that's ideal for me.

I have heard a lot of good things about the following skis:

1) Atomic Nomad series (but not sure which model is best suited for me... seems like Highnoon would be good, Blackeye a little too much for me?), 2) K2 Apache series (particularly the Recon, Raider, Ranger).
3) Volkl Tigershark 10 Powerswitch and Volkl Unlimited AC20
4) Salomon X-Wing 8 or X-Wing 10
5) Head iM78 (iMonster 7Cool

What other brands/models are good?

What ski lengths are good for me?

Thank you so much!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head Monsters are excellent skis. I've got both iM72s and iM82s. I reckon the iM72s would suit you pretty well as a progressing intermediate, as they're quite forgiving and very versatile. They're discontinued now, but there must still be some old stock around. iM82s are quite a different beast, requiring considerably more effort to use. I'd say these are too much ski for an early intermediate. I'm guessing because I've never tried them, but I reckon the iM78s are closer in feel to the 82s, so again might be a bit much for you at this stage. Basically the wider skis are harder to learn to carve on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A vote for Salomon X-Wings.

I've just finished my first week on my new X-Wing Blasts - and loved every second. They're not on your list, but I reckon you should be able to find the 06/07 Blasts at a reasonable price. A very easy ski to use, and flexible enough to use on / off piste. I'm a little heavier than you, and ski them in 170cm length.

My only comments about Volkls would be (in my experience) they're perhaps suited to more aggressive skiers. However, if you work them hard, you are rewarded with excellent edge grip.

I tied a pair of Nomads in Whistler last year (can't remember the exact spec) - their only drawback is that they're heavy ... very heavy (IMHO).

Have you thought of the Rossignol Bandit B2's? They don't feel particularly 'special', but they seem to do everything pretty well - with no particular week points.

Only my 2-pennies worth ... but I hope it helps. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those Volkls are towards the top end of ski prices, so unfortunately that might rule them out. They are awesome skis though (hence I recently bought a pair Madeye-Smiley ). I might say that they are probably a little too stiff for someone who's given the description of their skiing that you have (unless you're pretty powerful/aggressive at it...). Also, of the two Tigersharks available, for a one-ski quiver, the 12FT might be better than the 10FT for it's wider base (potentially better in powder).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Atomic Nomad crimson, 176cm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree with jonflat2, that a pair of Salomon X-Wings might be ideal. They are more flexible and forgiving than the Volkls, as such are probably better suited to someone developing into and through the intermediate ability range. The X-Wing Furies are a good pair of skis for on and off piste versatility.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonflat2, Nomad Heavy? No way José. Could be the rental binding. She's the lightest ski in her class bar none.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I like the Nomads they make skiing easy!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
jonflat2, Nomad Heavy? No way José. Could be the rental binding. She's the lightest ski in her class bar none.

I have a pair at home not yet used and confirm they are very light ski. wonder if there is confusion with metrons which are heavy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and available at 449 euros at Conrad sport too....!

I'll get my coat... Cool

ps - If you could get near that and deliver a pair of 183cms (? length right I am 5f 10 and 88kg) for under 500 euros I would probably take a pair.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and available at 449 euros at Conrad sport too....!

I'll get my coat... Cool

ps - If you could get near that and deliver a pair of 183cms (? length right I am 5f 10 and 88kg) for under 500 euros I would probably take a pair.

That's a good price - I paid £245 on punt from a shop in italy but they had the 310 binding which is £60-70 cheaper at full price. I was really pleased when they turned up as I feared it would be too good to be true.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, I have a pair for sure, we sell them without binding, do you have a prefered binding package? Look, Marker, Salomon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
muah, I had great fun on and off piste with rented Salomon X-wing Tornado's recently - I'm not sure exactly how thay relate to the X-Wing 8's & 10's though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, the Tornados are exactly the same ski as my Blasts, except that they have a wood-core (and are more expensive).

As I understand it, the X-Wing 8 and 10 have a slightly narrower waist than the Blast/Tornado, and are supposed to be a little more forgiving (they're cheaper too Smile ).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonflat2, right - figures... I skied X-Wing Blasts last year and loved them too, but I only skied on piste that time.
snow report
Scott Missions, best allrounders I've ever tried.
ski holidays
Muah, I skied on a pair of Nordica Hot Rod this year I would be a very advanced skier and cover both on and off piste depending on the conditions. Absolutley loved these and am thinking about buying.

Great in wide and medium carves Short turns are there weakness but I blasted down Corderoy at full speed and knocked out some short turns. Great all round on all piste from groomed to end of day lumps and bumps and moguls.

Wonderfull off piste and handled powder and varying conditions well and did all I asked of them.

Happy skiing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, look px12s ? neox 412s? Guess the px12s are better in softer stuff to get back on.

I guess like many people I don't pay huge attention to the bindings unless I am renting AT stuff, or having difficult getting the bugs back on...

Seeing the 183s are the biggest perhaps I would be better on the 176s ( thought my old R11 20s were 176 - actually only 170 - deduct "real skier" points Embarassed )
latest report
muah, I'm going to disagree with many who know more than me ... but you mentioned 'icy' and 'piste' and 'Advancing Beginner'.

Get yourself a pure , piste ski, continue taking lessons and then get another ( off-piste) pair later.

I can't see how skis like 'Missions' and 'Hot Rods' .. fit your aganda, but what do I know.

In a similar position I bought Fischer RX-8s ... the important advice to me at the time ( for a piste ski) was keep the waist under 70mm........
latest report
muah, I figure I'm just a little ahead of you. I learnt to carve last year and I'm happy on reds. Don't like blacks or moguls, still taking lessons. I got RX-8s like Agenterre, and I love them !!!
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:

I can't see how skis like 'Missions' and 'Hot Rods' .. fit your aganda, but what do I know.

I was thinking that too!
snow conditions
muah, k2 apache recon, seems to be one of the most popular skis in aspen, and folk seem to prefer last years model
snow report
whatever you do try and test- don't rely on write ups in catalogues/magazines or the internet

sure find a selection from these sources- but then try them for yourself -
ski holidays
*bump* SZK - really would beinterested in those if you can do a good deal, feel free to pm me...

Neilski, the recons just look a bit boring don't they?
snow report
stoatsbrother, Sorry mate can't touch that. Sad
snow report
Tigersharks are my favourite ski that I've ever used. I would only describe myself as inter. But you do have to work them quite hard.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, never mind - need new boots and end of this season and will pester you if you come over again. Wife has just told me I am not allowed new skis in any case, and they are a bit hard to hide. Sad
latest report
Don't tell the missus but they should arrive from Germany on Wednesday and they go to Canada with me on Friday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, Very Happy "I'm only holding them for a friend dearest, they're not mine honest" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
muah, I'm with Agenterre. Get some more piste oriented skis that will allow the occasional foray off-piste. They'll help you develop your technique quicker and learn to carve. Don't get hung up on the latest and greatest to keep the cost down so that you can buy something more off-piste oriented when you're ready.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy