Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie needing help- Snow in Europe in September?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Me the missus and another couple are doing a road trip across Europe in September. We were hoping we would be able to get a few of days skiing/boarding if possible. Ive been told the only places we will find some snow is where there is a Glacier.Is this right and if so where are the glaciers in Europe. Any info much appreciated

Many Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello.

Glaciers is right; I can't belive that there'll be skiing anywhere else in Europe. Someone will no doubt produce a list of summer skiing resorts shortly. Zermatt, Saa Fee(?)(both Switzerland), Kaprun, Hintertux (both Austria) and Tignes (France) spring to mind.

My only experience is of Zermatt (in September as it happens), and it was the most expensive and pointless morning's skiing I've experienced. although the views are astonishingly beautiful. September is possibly the worst time to go; the summer sun has melted a lot of stuff but there will have been little or no fresh snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, that is definitely right in September.

There are glaciers in most of the main alpine skiing countries, with I think the largest number in Austria.

Ones that I know of off the top of my head (there are more I can't remember off hand) -
Austria - Dachstein, Hintertux, Stubai, Kaprun.
Switzerland - Jungfrau, Saas Fee, Zermatt?
France - Les Deux Alpes, Tignes
Italy - Marmolada.

In general, skiing is only worthwhile in the mornings at that time of year, although if it is a particularly cold September, the whole day might be OK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think the only likely to be open then are those that advertise themselves as open 365 days a year, which iirc are Zermatt and Hintertux. I have been to Hintertux in August and there were only a couple of runs skiable - certainly not the best.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sunil, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Almost all the skiable glaciers in the Alps have melted.

Only 3 yearround glaciers are left. And they are melting, too.

They are, in order of quality, Hintertux, Zermatt and Les 2 Alpes.

Do it. Before they're gone.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I forgot to say, it's hideously expensive (In Zermatt anyway) by the time you've hired skis and boots (presumably) and bought a pass. Probably no more pro rata than on a week's winter skiing hol, but the fact that it's for a morning only and that the skiing is rubbish makes it seem more.

Whatever you decide to do , I can recommend a visit to Zermatt. Are you from Europe? The wording of your post suggests that you might not be (which is fine, we're broad minded). If that's the case, we will gladly plan your entire itinerary for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond wrote:
but the fact that it's for a morning only and that the skiing is rubbish makes it seem more.

Zermatt in the summer is so good it made my winters crap. you must have hit a bad day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, my recollection, distant now, is of a few shortish blue/reds served by a couple of T bars, and soft snow, becoming slushy lower and later (mind you, we probably spent the best part of the morning in bed, missing the best snow). Good weather, once a bit of cloud cleared, and fantastic views of the Matterhorn and the rest.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 22-01-08 10:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Almost all the skiable glaciers in the Alps have melted.

Only 3 yearround glaciers are left. And they are melting, too.

They are, in order of quality, Hintertux, Zermatt and Les 2 Alpes.

Do it. Before they're gone.

Not sure LDA is year round anymore; I think it shut at the end of August this year until the Mondials at the end of October, so it wouldn't be open for the OP in September.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hintertux and Zermatt are the two best mostly you will be skiing till about 1 in the day maybe 2 if you are lucky. Hintertux has about 12-18 km of piste open and I think zermatt is about 20-25kmp of piste. Not exactly amazing skiing but it gives you a fix for the summer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info and the welcomes snowHead

Richmond im from England. Im doing the Scally Rally across Europe this year and the people im going with have done "snowdome" boarding here in the UK but have never been on the real stuff. Ive been to Andorra a couple of times and loved it, so thought it would be nice for them to experience some proper snow while we are in Europe.

Its sounding like September wont be a great time to go for their first time. Do you lot think its worth it?

Has anyone got any links to sites i can have a look at for prices and infomation?

Many Thanks again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Kitzsteinhorn glacier is open "year round" with the exception of 2 1/2 weeks in June.

http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For Hintertux http://www.hintertux.at/?ct=skipasspreise08sommer&ca=sbs&lng=e

That is the summer lift pass price page, you can look around the site for other information.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rather off the main beaten track and no idea if the rally goes there but Norway has a few glacier skiing destinations too. Went to one late August and only spent a few hours skiing there, the conditions weren't good but the views accross the fjords are superb and probably worth the trip alone.

Link to some options here, we went to the Folgefonna glacier and I'm pretty sure that was open in September too: http://www.fjords.com/summerski.htm
snow conditions
Skiing might be better than the Snowdome, but I'd rather take my mountain bike at that time of year
snow report
Sunil, it wa the expression 'road trip' that fooled me. I'd say it 'wasn't worth it' for me and the OL when we skiied on the glacier in Zermatt. On the other hand, if you're there and the weather's good and you fancy a ski, why not?d

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 22-01-08 22:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sunil, I'd go for Hintertux or Saas Fee (because they seem to be the longest-surviving glaciers for downhill sliding) but, honestly, it can be miserable in September. You need to keep an eye on the summer. If it's scorching hot and the glaciers suffer, forget it, go hiking or something. You might get lucky, get a cold September with tons of snow up high but it's in the lap of the Gods.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy