Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rear entry boots - embarrassing?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my boots off a friend 6 years ago - she had had them 3 years. They have seen me through 5 holidays and have been reasonably comfortable. I think I should think about getting a new pair as I am slightly worried they are looking old and embarrassing! Had loads of trouble last year with the wrong kind of snow sticking to the bottom, but lots of helpful advice on here which I will use in a couple of weeks if I take them. Husband says they are fine and what am I worried about, but he got himself a lovely new pair last year! Thinking of not taking them this year and hiring some instead. They are white (look like stormtroopers boots from Star Wars), Techno make. Embarrassing or do people not really notice? Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christina1, Yes, people notice, get a new pair Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to get the rest of the outfit ....

http://chariot.nickersonm.com/Pictures/?Qwd=./Humor&Qif=Stormtrooper.jpg&Qiv=none&Qis=L
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christina1, You will benefit from a newer pair, but ski bots are for using, not looking at. Hiring would be a step backwards.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, I know, but to me they all look the same. But is it like playing tennis with a wooden racket?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's more like going jogging/walking with ill fitting shoes. A new set of boots could improve your skiing overnight.

This link might help ....
http://skiing.about.com/od/skigear/bb/skiboot.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think people care too much about what others think.

It is quite likely that ten years ago people were winning races in boots similar to yours, and quite possibly happily and comfortably skiing to a much higher standard than most people could ever hope to reach.

The point of going skiing is to enjoy it. If you enjoy skiing in your current boots then why change? It may be possible to do something a little different if you shell out a few hundred quid on some new boots, but do you really want to?

Mountaineering would be much easier if there were steps cut for you all the way, but it wouldn't be much of a challenge then and so what would be the point? Similarly, why try and spend your way to being a good skier? Does it not make more sense to simply enjoy the sensations you get with competent equipment? Does haveing the same Kit as Bode Miller really make you enjoy it more?

I have a 1957 Austin A35. It is, by today's standards, a really uncomfortable and dangerous car. I get huge satisfaction out of fighting it to stay in control whilst cornering at 20 m.p.h. In a more modern car I could probably go through the same bend at 30 m.p.h. in perfect comfort and safety but it wouldn't be half as much fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christina1, I wouldn't be bothered about how they look, but I would be slightly concerned about what condition a 9 yr old pair of boots was in. The plastic will degenerate and eventually snap. I wouldn't want this to happen while I was skiing. I know there are a few other threads where people have seen this happen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B, that happened to a friend of mine in an old pair of boots. Fortunately he was walking to the bus stop when the shell snapped in half and his toes were suddenly exposed to the elements. Would have been a bit tricky if he'd been up the hill when his boot went pop!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Treat yourself to a nice comfy new pair...I had the same dilemma a few years ago and have NEVER regretted getting my new boots. They are way more adjustable [which if you've got short fat hairy legs for springing up mountains is a bonus! Very Happy ] and at least you know who's made them smell... Hiring is not even something I want to think about - it brings back all those horrible memories of sweating like a beast in a hire shop while some lithe young italian ski shop guy muttered 'troppo grande' under his breathe and my feet simulateously lost contact with the rest of my body. Misery. The point about the plastic getting aged is also a nice excuse to treat yourself.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christina1, All depends where you ski?In some of the lesser known smaller ski areas I have skied in France, having 1980's gear head to ski tips, seems to be positively 'On trend wink '. Only us Brits worry about having the latest gear AFAIAC the eurofolk arent that fussed what they look like.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Elizabeth B, that happened to a friend of mine in an old pair of boots. Fortunately he was walking to the bus stop when the shell snapped in half and his toes were suddenly exposed to the elements. Would have been a bit tricky if he'd been up the hill when his boot went pop!

Happened to my BIL's old (not used for a few years) boots. One buckle went twang so we so started heading back down, then of course another one went as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Elizabeth B, I wouldn't be bothered about how they look, but I would be slightly concerned about what condition a 9 yr old pair of boots was in. The plastic will degenerate and eventually snap. I wouldn't want this to happen while I was skiing. I know there are a few other threads where people have seen this happen.

Never mind 9 year old boots...my hubby is planning to ski again this year in his ancient boots which must be approx 22 years old Shocked

We missed the last 2 seasons but prior to that I was on at him to get new ones. He's also had SCGB reps, instructors and mountain guides raise eyebrows at them and comment. He doesn't 'buy it' about the shell cracking but I do and I am seriously worried. He is an extremely competent, advanced skier brought up living next door to a dry slope and spent all his time as a kid on there and these boots are from that era, they are something like Salomon SX82 or 92 Equipe or something like that. He says they are comfortable.

I am off to CEM next week then I will have to work on hubby to go too. Any tips on how to make him see the light? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Swiss friend is still skiing in the same white pair of rear entry boots that she had in Lenzerheide 10+ years ago and still using her old straight long skis. She has been skiing since before she could walk almost and is now approaching her late 30's needless to say she ski's the socks of me (not in anyway difficult of course), but I think will still be doing the same wearing the same kit in 5 years time. As said above, maybe the Brits do worry too much about what they look like.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I absolutely agree that it is mostly Brits who worry about what their kit looks like and keep getting conned into buying new stuff. This is, I think, predominantly due to vanity and the belief that buying new kit will improve your fitness, strength and reactions. Many of the comments above strike me as driven by vanity more than anything else.

I have a set of rear entry boots which must be at least 15 years old. I scrounged them from a friend (who was eminently susceptible to vanity) when they were about 10 years old and used them hard for a few years. I haven't used thm for five years as they were uncomfortable and not suitable for touring. The plastic is still fine on them and the single catch arrangement is much stronger than modern four buckle designs anyway. If they actually fitted my feet or my aims, I am sure I would continue using them until the soles were worn to the point of compromising release.

A significant factor in plastic degredation is UV exposure. It makes sense to store any synthetic materials in the dark to avoid UV degredation. Typically when in use ski boots will be subject to significant UV exposure but a couple of weeks per year should not damage them significantly provided they are storred in the dark for the rest of the year.
ski holidays
alicecat wrote:
I have a 1957 Austin A35. It is, by today's standards, a really uncomfortable and dangerous car. I get huge satisfaction out of fighting it to stay in control whilst cornering at 20 m.p.h. In a more modern car I could probably go through the same bend at 30 m.p.h. in perfect comfort and safety but it wouldn't be half as much fun.

So the equivalent would be leather boots and old wooden skis? Is this what you use?

Agree not to change boots just because of how they look but can see the point for a comfort/performance improvement or because the materials may have reached the end of their life.

Problem is you don't know what sort of performance/comfort level you are going to get until you use another boot. Maybe Christina1 should take the old boots and rent other boots for a couple of days just to feel the difference.
snow conditions
This has given me the excuse to go up to the loft to have a look at them Madeye-Smiley The rubber bit on the heel is almost worn through to the plastic and after trying them on I am sure new ones would be so much more comfortable. They really press on the top of my foot below the ankle and would imagine that with the adjustments on new boots this could be taken care of. Don't suppose this is a great time to be buying boots though - but hopefully will be able to persuade husband it's a good idea to spend a few hours in our local ski shop tomorrow.alicecat, My husband is with you on the keeping things going front, he will not let go of his Golf GTi he bought new 18 years ago!
snow report
Christina1,

If you do go for new boots I'd get them fitted by a proper bootfitter in the resort. This is so he can make minor adjustments throughout the holiday to your satisfaction.
latest report
DB, Thank you that sounds a really good idea. My only concern is that we are going to Corvara and from what I have read, not a lot of English is spoken there. I am tempted to take your advice though.
latest report
Even their skischool has an English website
http://corvara.altabadiaski.com/start.php?page=benvenuto&lang=EN&preloading=close

I'd be very surprized if they didn't speak English they are multi-lingual (German & Italian) to start off with.

http://www.skinorbert.it/_Bottom.aspx?pid=25&tabindex=0&tabid=556
latest report
DB, The second link is only in Italian! I will be very happy if the resort is'nt englishyfied but wouldn't be surprised if we had a little trouble as the only British touroperators that go there are Neilsens. But yes the Ski School link gives me hope as my children will be booked in there.
ski holidays
Christina1 wrote:
DB, The second link is only in Italian! I will be very happy if the resort is'nt englishyfied but wouldn't be surprised if we had a little trouble as the only British touroperators that go there are Neilsens. But yes the Ski School link gives me hope as my children will be booked in there.

Maybe this link works better
http://www.skinorbert.it/

So if language is a problem when you pick the kids up find a multi-lingual (English/Italian) ski instructor ask him to help in return for a couple of beers or promise to book him/her for a private lesson.

If you do decide to get the boots fitted in the UK it's worth going to a proper boot fitter (Many snowheads like "CEM") and then testing them at a dryslope (Ipswich?). It may sound like a lot of messing about but boots are really the most important piece of ski equipment and you will be living with them for years.
latest report
Quote:
If they actually fitted my feet or my aims, I am sure I would continue using them until the soles were worn to the point of compromising release.

and even if the soles are at that point, don't give up. My sister has a pair of Nordica rear entry/compromise boots (sort of partly rear entry) which fit her very comfortably, and she has no particular wish for anything more fancy. Yesterday she noticed that the soles were cracking off. They were certainly severely compromising release. But we took them down to the ski shop man who fitted what he referred to, in his developing English, as "new tyres". Cost - 15 euros.

It's very true what is said above about Brits being suckers for new equipment. There are plenty of French people skiing very competently round here, in old boots and suits, and not apparently feeling at all embarassed! If boots fit snugly, and feel comfortable, and you can ski OK in them, I wouldn't replace them just because of "looks". Much better to spend the money on lessons. If most Brit skiers spent less on fancy kit and more on lessons they'd ski a lot better. Better to wear unfashionable gear and ski like a god, than have the full Spyder outfit and ski like a pig on stilts.
latest report
pam w, Agree with most of what you say, Mrs G has a pair of old SX82s and will not consider even thinking about changing. My only concearn is the degradation of the material. Be interesting to get one of the bootfiters thoughts on how the material holds up and if the manufacturers give any guidelines to useful life. I guess it wont be an exact science as most boots will be made of slightly different material.
ski holidays
There's been several threads where the subject of boot age and plastic failure has been discussed. Some people have even quoted dangerous situations where boots have literally exploded due to plastic failure. However, as has been mentioned above I think the lifetime will be directly related to exposure to the elements and particularly the sun, where the UV will degrade the plasticisers that keep the plastics 'supple'. Hence, boots worn by instructors will probably degrade faster than your once a year holiday skier whose boots are kept in the loft in a bag in the interim. Most Snowheads (those that aren't instructors) appear to fall between these two categories rolling eyes . I've looked at my own boots and they are made of pretty tough looking plastic, I'd be surprised if after 10 years use (10 weeks exposure) they failed due to UV exposure. Also, the instructor probably replaces their boots once every 18 months or so probably more due to wear and tear than the sun, but exposure wise they have probably had 20 years worth of use compared to the once a year holiday skier and still don't fail due to UV exposure alone.

I wonder if these tales of boots exploding is where they have been kept in less ideal situations - near to heat, or in sheds full of chemical concoctions for the garden, or maybe lofts have got too hot in the summer, in the airing cupboard near the boiler etc. To my mind there must something at work more than UV. Hence providing you are certain that the boots have not been over exposed to UV from the sun and haven't been anywhere too warm too often I can't see why old boots won't still work, as my Swiss friend apparently finds is the case.

N.B. The above is only conjecture based on a bit of scientific reasoning - I am an organic chemist by trade, but I wouldn't want anyone to risk their legs relying on it, OK? Toofy Grin
latest report
You'll find a lot of people from England who are more than once a year holiday skiers do tend to change their boots more often than once every 10/20 years or so, probably some more often than they need to and to my mind it doesn't matter what the boots look like if you have a decent pair that do the job correctly and fit well. As a result of not having found such a pair until recently I've changed mine more frequently than I might otherwise have done but I do instruct on dry and get at least 3 weeks a year on snow so mine are subject to more wear than usual here anyway.

I notice in the Alps, North America and in Scotland (where I grew up skiing and still ski) there are numbers , although a minority, of people around with old equipment of the type rarely seen on the English holiday skier. There are also plenty with newer equipment but on the basis of a rough and utterly unscientific guestimate I'd say the better skiers tend to be the ones with the more up-to-date equipment. I don't mean brand new but I mean newer than 80s rear entry boots which I tend to associate with people who ski less well (stuck on the intermediate plateau) and I guess they've progressed little since they first bought their boots.

What you use is up to you and I frankly wouldn't be bothered about whether the boots are embarrassing or not but whether they're fit for purpose. However I think you should consider whether newer kit (properly fitted) will do the job better and be safer and I suspect it will. As for the plastic snapping/shattering thing I've never seen it but I have it on good authority on here that it happens.

Perhaps you can get away with it in old boots but to be honest I'd rather be more comfortable and more safer than sorry so I'll be keeping my old SX90 rear entry boots in the attic for that and many other reasons.
ski holidays
Frankly I think an awful lot of complete crap gets talked about rear entry boots. I skied SX91s for many years! They were comfortable, easy to adjust and always gave me the feeling that I had complete control over the ski. My wife still has hers and refuses point blank to get any modern boots (probably because she watches my antics getting into my Strolz every morning), and she can still ski circles round most people on the mountain! Bring them back please!
snow report
Be very wary of laughing at the skier who joins your group with the SX91s, straight skis, and a rodeo jacket. (S)He may just hand your ar$e to you on a plate. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Be very wary of laughing at the skier who joins your group with the SX91s, straight skis, and a rodeo jacket. (S)He may just hand your ar$e to you on a plate.

so very true, especially if they are French or learnt to ski 30 years ago in Cairngorm.
latest report
There was a lot of fuss a few years ago with plastic double mountaineering boots suddenly disintegrating in the same way - the advice then to test if was likely to happen was to put them in a freezer overnight, then hit them sharply with a hammer - if they didn't disintegrate they'd be fine on the hill. I suppose how hard you hit them would be determined by how much you really wanted a new pair!
snow report
pam w wrote:
so very true, especially if they are French or learnt to ski 30 years ago in Cairngorm.

LOL, whilst I'm so vain I hate to admit my age Wink the latter is almost me, not quite 30 years though but getting there Very Happy

I haven't got the SX91s though, SX90s in the attic yeah but the 91s were a better boot, just didn't have the dosh at the time to replace the ones I had unfortunately!

There's an instructor at Gloucester who still uses his old SX91s - seems to ski just fine in them!
latest report
perhaps i need to rescue my sx81's from the loft, and see if they still fit, they're still in the original box, unless the other half has carbooted them without my knowledge Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Would s luv'd a set of the Rear Entry Salomon Force boots ( black and yellow) I think they were out just before the Equipe range was introduced.
Oh god, i've turned into an old fart at 36 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
One important point, if going for the whole rear-entry '70s look is that you must have skinny salopettes and you must tuck them inside the boots. And maybe have white ski poles with red straps?
snow conditions
What's wrong with Leather Boots, Hickory Skis and Cable Bindings? wink
snow report
pam w, I still have ALL those things in my parents attic along with a canary yellow Nevica jacket and Dynastar Carbons 195's. I thought I looked the bees knees rolling eyes
Maybe I should do a nostalgia outing in Zermatt. Oh no, I don't think ( well I know) I'd not get the skinny ski pants with underfoot loops past my calves.
ski holidays
Spyderman, Learnt in leather boots and cable bindings cannot remember what the skis were made of.
ski holidays
trebor-trix wrote:
perhaps i need to rescue my sx81's from the loft, and see if they still fit, they're still in the original box, unless the other half has carbooted them without my knowledge Crying or Very sad

Matching pair? Still in the original box? The antiques roadshow would have a field day!
snow conditions
riverman, you mean to say you don't still use them? wink
snow report
Maybe Fartbag day should include rear entry boots!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy