Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with a Meniscus tear

Poster: A snowHead
Bones,
Quote:

His comments when looking at my xray' its a bit scrappy in there'

This is probably where he's drawing his osteo arthritis assumption from....he may suggest arthroscopy to wash the knee out and remove any of the debris that has detatched over the years....do what he says and take it easy for the next two weeks and then take it from there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

diclofenac is a prescription drug.

Exactly, in England too, so his GP (who would be prescribing it) would know
Quote:

if he's on other certain medications and if he has any other complaints. (Heart, Asthma etc)

There is quite good evidence to say that ibuprofen (at a proper antiinflammatory dose) has a very similar risk level to diclofenac at causing gastric probs - see kartman above:
Quote:

Ibuprofen gave me ulcers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bones et al, I'm going to opt out here now as Nick seems intent on contradicting everything I say.

So good luck with your problems and remain positive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the help/advice guys. nice to have things explained in depth wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-01-08 14:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[dazman, Nick L's advice is correct. Ibuprofen should also be avoided in asthma.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guys

All help is very much appreciated, but I think we should realise that whilst any advice is given with the best of intentions, each individual has to make their own judgement on what they do.

If my knee gives up after an hours skiing I will only have myself to blame, although I will try to sue all those who said it would be fine ;o)

Hopefully I'll get in to see my OS, with results from the MRI, before my week in St Anton and make an informed decision based on the results. Whilst I really, really want to go I'd have to reconsider if I knew skiing would cause lasting damage- my gut feeling is that it wouldn't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, ... that's completely inaccurate, the only time an Asthmatic would avoid taking Ibuprofen is if they've a history of allergic reactions to non-steroidal anti-inflams and most likely they'd have been told this previously by their GPs ( there is always a first but nowadays with the advances in painkillers it's highly unlikely they won't have taken ibuprofen previously as it's quite common) and then an alternative drug/treatment would be prescribed....Millions of Asthmatics take ibuprofen based painkillers everyday....trust me on this, diclofenac is infinitely stronger than ibuprofen. Brands like Nurofen (regular) contain 200mg of ibuprofen (Nurofen Plus also contain 200mg, the plus is added due to it also containing codeine) but something like a 75mg difene tablet is much much more stronger hence the fact it's still a controlled drug.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dazman, you have been arguing with me (a GP with an interest in Sports Medicine) and now have chosen to argue with Helen Beaumont (a pharmacist) about whether ibuprofen can worsen asthma. You do pick your arguments! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L, Who was arguing ?....But the guy asked for advice I gave my opinion (albeit contradicted to the hilt by you) and if you read my post to Helen you'll see that I didn't actually disagree with her regarding ibuprofen having adverse effects on asthma, I was pointing out that it's all down to the Patients medical history (ala hypersensitivity to certain drugs) You do ask a Patient if they're allergic to penicillin when you're prescribing certain anitibiotics don't you??.

And apologies for not knowing everyones Profession here but I'm as you can see from my post count I'm quite new and not "part of the gang", but I have to say you've been very very welcoming....thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dazman, no I know that you might not be aware who does what! I was having a wry smile about it that's all. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I have merely written mine in counterpoint to yours because my views differ with yours.

Debate and information is what internet forums are all about (IMV) and you hopefully will notice that although I have disagreed with you, I have argued my corner and neither of us have been unpleasant - which is great as far as I am concerned.

I look forward to other discussions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been back to see the consultant with the results from the MRI. The MRI shows bruising / arthritis on lat facet of patella. And the diagnosis is Chondromalacia patella.

It's still painful and doesn’t seem to be improving, but I’m being referred to a physio so hopefully they will be able to get me fit again without the need for surgery.

I'm nervous about my skiing next week, just hope it's not too painful to prevent my biggest passion!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kartman, I don't suppose you will be able to see the physio before your ski holiday, but if you do, ask them to teach you how to tape your knee to realign the patella. This will reduce the stress on it (it worked for my hubby when he had a similar problem, but he was taught how to do it by his Dad).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kartman, kneeling is very bad for suspect knees. You knnw what to avoid.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, not on the NHS but I'm trying to find a physio in the Sittingbourne area to book a private session before Saturday. I have also bought a Mueller Jumpers Knee Strap which says it helps with patellar tracking & chondromalacia. Does your husband still knee to tape his knee?

Frosty the Snowman, I'll try to stay on my feet / skis!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kartman, You need to see a decent sports physio (I was in the RAF) to get some specific exercises to build up and pull the patella back to stop it rubbing. I had to tape mine initialy so I could do the exercises but it does work.
I still do them to prevent it re-occururing but most can be done sitting at a desk even watching the telly snowHead
snow report
kartman, no he hasn't had to tape his knee for ages now. The problem seemed to right itself in the end.
snow report
Linds, thanks - it positive to hear there are ways to keep exercising and that it's not permanent. I have been doing too much and not giving it a chance to heal, which, without taping, has been making it worst. I will certainly book with a sports physio to get some professional advice. My knee does seem to catch when I straighten it though.

Thanks again for you advice.

Helen Beaumont, glad to hear it!
latest report
hi, I had one & skiied on it for years....then one day it locked up whilst in the kitchen & couldnt straighten out my knee. I guess the risk is, it happens out whils on the mountain. Had the arthroscopy, skiied 6 weeks later....
latest report
Linds, Do you still 'tape up' .. I havent done that for years rolling eyes Confused

Nick L, I feel very sad that I understand everything you've written in this thread ..... 6 weeks? Go back 35 years ago .. a tad longer !!
latest report
Agenterre, It probably was a tad longer back then. My feckin' knee had started locking up again past few days. Hope it stops like it did last time as not enough time to get it done before the family Easter Bash Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Not funny snowHead Coincidentally I had to come off the mountain today due to a minor twist and much 'water' ... but not telling anyone official. This insurance stuff looks like a nightmare ...
snow report
Quote:

Do you still 'tape up'

Agenterre, No, every so often it starts to ache as a reminder to me that I haven't been doing the specific exercises Embarassed

kartman, Don't forget to speak to your insurance company before you go so they are aware you have a pre-exsisting condition. If you are going to France get the Carte Neige (sp) on your lift pass and but also make sure you take E111 wherever you are going.
I have very recent experience of injuries/clinics in the Alps rolling eyes
snow report
Linds, I have the E111 but what is the Carte Neige?

Thanks
snow report
Linds, Should have read your post more carefully, I'm going to St Anton, Austria. But would still be intesrted to know what it is?

Are the likely to cancel my insurance if I let them know about my condition? Or will they just increase the premium?
snow report
It is like a top-up insurance that will get you off the mountain and emergency treatment but I think it is only valid in France (I may be wrong though)http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35118

You should inform your insurance that you have a pre-exsisting medical condition or they may refuse to pay out for anything. Best to read the small print on the policy about medical conditions.
snow report
Agreed re taking an E111 but many resort clinics are private rather than state run so you'll still have to pay out.
snow report
Update on my circumstances, Have been back to see the first consultant I saw after complaining about the second one. theis chap ahs agreed to boke me in for an anthroscopy to rectify any problems. His words were 'I ll do all that needs doing'. So hes still not sure if theres a torn meniscus or if theres just residue from my old injury causing the problem. At least things are moving along and they actknowledge something needs to be done. Smile Hes also going to remove the old wire in my kneecap so i can hhave an MRI ( if I need one ) in the future Smile

Unfortunately this isnt going to happen until May Sad

He doesnt mind me skiing tho so long as I take it easy - so we have decided not to cancel and will be heading to Banff at the beginning of March Toofy Grin Toofy Grin so Im now working the leg in the gym as much as Im able to provide a reasonable stable base.

I realise that the knee probably wont be covered on my insurance, but do I inform them about it or not ? If so what do I tell them - that Im due anthroscopy surgery in May but not really sure what for ? Or do I just go and hope nothing happens. If I do inform them what will be the concequences ? Any ideas ?? Thanks Confused
snow report
Bones wrote:
Well back from the Hospital, nothing conclusive, he wants me to rest for two weeks but try to bear weight on it as well Shocked Before he will pursue it further Sad He mentioned ostioarthiritis as a possibility instead and there was a small amount of fluid around the joint Confused His comments when looking at my xray' its a bit scrappy in there' Shocked Shocked

The good news is he is a skier, when I explained about my trip shortly, so he understands whats involved and told me not to rule out going Smile

Thing is it hurts like hell at the moment so not getting too excited Sad

I suffered this 12 years ago, the hardest thing to get used to is stretching the kenn fully and absorbing bumps, you'll find these quite painful until the muscles fully recover. So just be a ware of jarring the knee on hard or icy areas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arlberg, yup, even skidding turns on icy snow is like being attacked with a jackhammer.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

skidding turns on icy snow is like being attacked with a jackhammer.

Didnt need to know that Shocked something to 'look forward' to Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy