Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch in April ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks , thinking of booking a late trip to Garmisch for the first week of april. Does anybody have any past experience as to whether or not the slopes are likely to still be open & if so could we expect there to still be much snowcover.
Many thanks for any info/advice.
Gary
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who knows, but I suspect that Garmisch itself could be a bit ropey. Ther's alway Zugspitze, but I do't know what the skiing up there is like.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gary2474, The main area in Garmisch will usually not be open much into April. The Zugspitze is usually open right into May though. The Zugspitz area is good for beginners, not so great for intermediates, fantastic for advanced skiers Toofy Grin It's a great big powder bowl, in which the snow usually stays in good shape for a long time due to the height. Recommended if powder is your thing!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just got byck from Garmisch this morning.

If I'm not mistaken the main slopes are scheduled to close the weekend following Easter, so before April. As was already posted, the Zugspitze ought to still be open, though, and if you're lucky some of the Austrian areas just over the border (Lermoos, Berwang, etc.).

There is some great skiing in that region if you know where to look for it, but to be honest, April could be dicey.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK folks , many thanks for the info , looks like i'm going to have to come up with a plan B if we are to get away skiing in April then
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Might now be looking at the easter w/end 20-24th march , so hopefully slopes should still be open , any idea what the snow cover should be like ?
Thanks again
Gary
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't remember what time of year I've been there, and that probably wouldn't be much of a guide anyway. My guess it it'll be getting a bit soft lower down, and possibly a bit thin. Las time I went it pissed down (with rain) all day, and that wasn't particularly late in the season.

If you leave booking accom until the last min, which should be OK in Garmisch, you could bale out to somewhere else if the snow's rubbish. If you can get to Garmisch, you can get to a good number of Austrian resorts which, even if they are low, are higher than Garmisch.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You may get good snow, you may not. That's the nature of the beast. If I had to guess, I'd say (get a piste map to know what I'm talking about):

The Zugspitze will have more than enough snow. Conditions will be good up there.

The slopes right out of Garmisch will have man-made snow covering several valley descents from Kreuzeck and Hausberg. The Alpenspitze area up high may be in great shape or it may be closed (they do not make snow up there).

Over the border in Austia, Lermoos should be open, and the best skiing is up near the top. I would expect it to be in good shape. Berwang also has a higher base elevation and may be skiable. Seefeld supposedly has very good snowmaking, so it will probably be open, too, although I have never skied there.

In Mittenwald, the Dammkar might be open, it might not be open, and it might be open requiring a hike out at the bottom (as is currently the case). This is only useful if you enjoy off-piste skiing.

All of these places I have mentioned are included on your multiday ticket and are easily reachable by train from Garmisch.

Conclusion: there will be something to ski. That something may amount to a lot, or it may amount to a little. Just my hunch, it will be OK from about 1500 m. up. There was no snow in the valley this weekend, but there really is a lot of snow up high. The top section of Lermoos was exceptional, and that really is a very nice area to ski. There was also a lot of snow in the Alpenspitze area. The valley runs in Garmisch were ice in the morning, slush in the afternoon. the Dammkar was great for the first couple hundred meters, then terrifying due to rain crust and ice before the 15 minute hike out at the bottom.

I would be confident about going if I were you. No doubt others on this site will disagree with me, though.

What do you like to ski?

Some pics from this weekend:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48566742@N00/sets/72157603767005132/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for the info ami. Generally like to ski on piste as both myself & my partner hardly set the skiing world alight with our skills. We have both made it down the Kandahar run in 1 piece when we skied Garmisch before. Will probably hire a car too , so getting to other areas shouldn't be a problem.
I have 2 weeks in Serre Chevalier just prior to this planned trip which unfortunately my girlfriend cannot go to , hence this late trip so she can get her fix of the whitestuff Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy