Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salopettes: The Best Bib - Arc'Terxy? ME? MH? TNF? Mammut? Patagonia? Other?

Poster: A snowHead
I want to invest in a serious pair of salopettes that are bomb proof and can deal with all sort of conditions. They don't need to be insulated as I will wear a base layer and expedition base layer underneath. I have tried on the following:

- Arc'Teryx Theta SV Bib

Cons: Doesn't have gripper elastic in the legs that is as good as what you get in others or the powder skirt in the Jackets

- Mountain Equipment Changabang Bib

Cons: Has a silly fly zip.

- Mountain Equipment Kongur Bib

Cons: Just didn't like it

- Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Bib

Cons: The feel of the Gore-Tex Pro Shell is a soft finish that doesn't feel as robust as the Pro-Shell in the Arc'Teryx Theta SV Bib

- TNF Free Thinker Pant

Cons: Too many to mention, TNF have really taken their finger off the pulse. If you turn it inside out the seems aren't sealed with micro tape, the craftsmanship is appalling and if you compare it to the Arc'Teryx Theta SV there is a clear difference.

Others that I haven't tried but have considered:

- Arc'Teryx Alpha SV Bib
- Arc'Teryx Theta AR Bib

As you might be able to tell I am favouring the Arc'terxy Theta SV Bib but am disappointed that the gripper elastic is so unlike the usually well thought out design. I'm also concerned that this isn't the best one in the range to get. Do I get Alpha or Theta? What is the difference between SV (Severe?) and AR? (All Round?)

I would love to have any feedback from anyone who owns the above equipment or has any thoughts on any of the brands that I have mentioned.

NB: These will be used for skiing on piste and in the backcountry.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Powderhunter
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went for a full bib salopette last time. Peak Performance were the best that I could find, but a) they were expensive, and b) they made me look pregnant.

Does it have to be a full bib. Many of the integrated trouser and jacket sets have fixings for the powder skirt that stops it riding up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'd second Kramer - i find bibs far too hot. i'm currently using patagonia light flash kecks and am very pleased with them for everything
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about Cioch salopettes. They use the Paramo system, so are more breathable than Gore-Tex and are available off the peg or made to measure for £240.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/salopettes.html

P.S. they are UK made too, on the Isle of Skye.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have just gone through a similar selection criteria myself.....ended up with a pair of Marmot Alpinist....I have so far found them to be excellent. This is in no way swayed by the fact they cost me a few beers and a lift to the airport for my mate who works for the distributor wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I forgot to mention that I have a Mountain Equipment Changabang jacket and the snow skirt is the weakest part of it. The gripper elastic isn't that strong and there isn't the addition of those poppers to clip onto the salopettes. It's for this reason that I wanted to get the a bib. I didn't think about it being too hot and you've now got me thinking. I did want to go for Gore-Tex Pro-Shell which is 25% more breathable than XCR.

Thanks for the input so far, I will look into the Marmot Alpinist.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mountain Hardwear Synchro.
I don't have the pants (you can get them in either trouser or bib) but I do have the jacket. Top quality.

Rip-off BritAin: $185 in USA, £200 in Snow&Rock.

If you like them...go on TGR, get a Backcountry.com hook-up (ie discount code) and buy them from there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, my wife has that jacket (uses it as a mid layer too) very good and - as you say - way cheaper in the US... but I did wonder how the soft shell fabric would perform in trousers falling over in powder and slush? Anybody got any idea?

I hate bibs too - Arcteryx is pretty well bombproof imho..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just tried out my girly arcteryx bibs theta ones in scotland at the weekend they were fab !! I have been skiing in a pair of TNF waterproof pants for the past 8 years but the bibs didnt come down exposing my back - I had a fall in sunshine last year when my trousers came down and a large quantitiy of snow went down by back not pleasant at all

I wore a pair of Long johns and a pair of polartec power stretch tights both lowe alpine and was at just the right comfort level for scotland the bibs were great and I love them !

Bought from sierratradingpost backcountry wont ship arcteryx to the uk I think ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've said it before and I'll say it again: powder skirts are only necessary if you spend a lot of your time bum sledging
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderHunter, ... I have dug out the tags & invoice for my Arc'teryx pants, just to be accurate - bought 3 years ago and used for 3 seasons @ about 16 weeks per season. They are, as per label, 'THETA SK PANT BLK L' & I paid $300 for them.

I can honestly say that they are a top performer. They look as good as they day they were bought and they have been 'well exercised' over rocks, shale, rubble and icy car-parks Toofy Grin They are pretty well bomb-proof - no problems with boot skirts & brilliant vent system. If I were buying again, I would have to go for the same, if they are still made.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just bought Arc'teryx Theta SV Bib (which is actually a short 'mini' bib) plus Alpha SV Jacket. Both performed excellently last week in Meribel, I wore far less volume of clothing in comparison to my previous padded jacket & salopettes plus layers, and was able to manage my temperature far better. Top quality kit.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What would you recommend wearing underneath a shell salopette like the Arc'teryx Theta SV Bib? I assume you need the same layering as a shell jacket. I have TNF, Skins (snow) and HH baselayers and I have bought a pair of Mountain Hardwear M Eped. Rev. Tights as the midlayer.

The one thing that is worrying me is that now I will have baselayer, sock and mid-layer to get into the the boot, will this mean that I'll get more foot, ankle or calf pain from restricted blood flow. How do people cope with keeping warm when wearing shell sallys?

HELP, I only have two weeks until I go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderHunter, ... I normally use an Icebreaker merino base layer and their mid-layer (260 I think). Sometimes you can get these as 'Boot-cut', i.e they finish at the top of the boot. This is not an exact science though, as the sizes may not cater for long-legged snowHeads ... Laughing I buy mine full length and have them altered by a local dress-maker, for a few pounds, to fit just inside the boot.

.... or if you are a dab hand with a needle & thread ..... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That could be a backup solution if I can't find out how to solve it otherwise
ski holidays
PowderHunter,

I have looked long and hard and the only thing I have seen that rivals the Arcteryx Theta SV in pro-shell are some from Millets. But as I had just bought some Thetas, I didn't really go to town with the Millets specs. The ALpha bib is more of a chest bib whereas the Theta is a high-waisted so that helps not doubling up and over-layering, IMV

The SV bib isn't that high....and has a light fabric around the back..this is useful if you wear a pack as it helps breathing there.
The fabric (pro_shell) is the tops... and I like the gaiter arrangement and the nearly full zip as it will not allow the zip to 'break' or unpop as a real full zip might. Easy to get on and off with boots on too.

I only use a LJ under the shell and have never needed anything more... again, you don't want to get too claggy here which is why I don't want a insulated pant...also, I don't like powder shirts as it is just another thing to ride up and with a bib and drwa-string jacket...where would you need it...again, especially with pack, bllep and maybe harness...

I like the belt arrangement on the new Theta SV and the braces are light and do their job without being in the way and noticable.

I have had two pr of Theta pants and the only thing I would complaibn about is the sizing and that is more probably to do with me being in between a M and L so ....

I just pull my LJ's to just below the knee so they a re baggy and then pull a full fitted ski sock to meet it and it is perfect.

The Thetas have two waist pockets which are just enough for an insurance card/CC or a few notes of cash..again, I don't want anything else in the way there.

I have had no trouble with the gaiter arrangements and it clips to the boot ok sealing that well enough.

A well thought out piece of kit and made better by GT'S new pro-shell. Costs £300 but once you can wear that for 3-4 years and still sell them on, then they are worth it, imv.
snow report
you guys are evil... I just bought a new arcteryx jacket and dont really new need sallopettes... but then again i didnt really need a new jacket..... must hide credit card... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
skimottaret, similar story for me. I bought a pair of unused Arc'teryx Theta SV sallies from Ug on here (Goretex XCR version) liked them so much that I went and bought a (not really needed) Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV jacket to go with them.

It's top notch gear, and I don't know why there is any grumbling about the jacket snowskirt and the sallies boot gaiters. Both kept everything out from several major wipeout's in deep powder in Canada recently, the sort of wipeouts where you end up getting snow inside your goggles.
snow report
Most brands will look after you in most situations skiing, but if you're going to subject it to hard wear and really extreme conditions five stand out Arc'Teryx, Patagonia, Mountain Equipment RAB and Marmot. They care about what they're doing and really last for years. Choosing from them is down to weight, abrasion/damage resistance and lastly style. Only you can decide which is most important. I personally find Arc'Teryx stiffer than I would like but it's otherwise worth the money. I use Patagonia/Mountain Equipment day skiing and Mountain Equipment/Marmot for touring and climbing. Arc'Teryx and Patagonia are never the lightest if weight is the highest priority.
latest report
22 dropout, Arcteryx now light ?!! Not sure which jackets / bottoms your looking at? They are the lighest products out there IMO.
latest report
I've got an Arc'teryx Stingray jacket but after trying many different pants, the best that I found were ACG: only 2 layer performance shell but built very well (better than Eider/TNF) and the design/fit was unrivalled by anything else. I couldn't find anything AT that was long enough. ACG do a pro shell bib version of the All Mountain pant. Probably slightly looser than ME, MH or AT but suited me fine in most conditions.
latest report
Norrona Lofoten is the business.

www.norrona.no

Pros: goretex pro-shell. Has braces that can be zipped off. I don't use the braces as I don't like them, but a mate of mine does and says they are file. i'll try them out on the next powder day. If you happen to get a Norrona jacket in the future, the trousers and the jacket can zip together to make a one piece for the big pow pow days. Big f*ck off hard bits around the bottom when skis normally cut holes in the trousers. Baggy fit. Full length zipper at the side for showing your legs during apres ski. Super cool colours.

Cons: Probably need a bank loan to buy a set.

Bottom line: If you can afford them, buy them. Best trousers I have ever wore ... and I'm not only counting ski clothes.
snow conditions
smolo, woah, they look sweet. Where the hell can you buy that stuff (that isn't Norway or Denmark) Puzzled Cool
snow report
Sharkymark,

Sport Conrad
snow report
Thanks for all the advice, I decided on this solutions:

TNF or Skins Baselayer
Icebreaker (calf length) 260 weight midlayer

and...

...ARC'TREYX THETA SV BIB!!!!

Sometimes you just know when you look at something that you're going to buy it now matter how much time passes. All of your advice made me confident in spending that large amount of money. BernardC, you really saved the day with your "calf-length" mid-layer suggestion.

I just hope that these three layers are going to be warm enough. Do you think they are? Is there a heavier mid-layer that you can get that has the calf cut?
ski holidays
PowderHunter, I have bad knees and wear neoprene type "braces" which i find keep the knees very warm and match up nicely with thigh length layers and the top of my socks. might be worth giving a try before you buy calf lengths or just add the knee braces for cold days...
snow report
PowderHunter, .... power to the people .... Laughing

You will be joining the coolest-looking, beautiful people, in your Arc'teryx Theta Bib ..... Laughing Very Happy

As I mentioned I use two layers of Icebreaker merino wool under the Arc'teryx bib and I have found those exceptional in all temperatures - December - April, except possibly on the hottest days. They seem to regulate temperature so efficiently.

I don't know how the Icebreaker midlayer will perform though if you mix them with a baselayer that's not merino wool. Are TNF man made fibre? Just a thought - you may need to check this out.

Happy days .... Very Happy
latest report
PowderHunter, Just back from my epic trip to Jackson and a wee bit jet lagged but I wore a single layer of icebreaker 260 underneath my arcteryx theta bibs and I was just right I tend to run cold though ! the temperatures were probably around -10 most of the time and I was fine! I wore a icebreaker 260 top and a arcteryx soft shell fleece under the side winder and that was fine !

I also didnt wash Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed the ice breakers for the past week and they dont smell at all !! although I did laugh when I just opened my ski bag with that and 2 weeks worth of dirty underwear and ski socks to find a note that the bag and its contents have been examined by security LOL LOL !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, ..... Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy