Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI SUNDAY 7PM BBC2 20TH JAN 08

Poster: A snowHead
robcraine wrote:
(iii) some of the french resorts are in a big national park. Frankly, he might as well have been on a beach.

Yes, only I don't think that is true. The borders of the Vanoise national park were deliberately drawn up to avoid annoying ski resort developers... or were truncated afterwards. For example the Grande Motte used to be in the national park but no more, when Pierre Schnebellen wanted to develop summer skiing the border of the park was redrawn to go around the glacier. The bottom line is money talks... wildlife walks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like http://www.vanoise.com/gb/nav_generale/conn_parc.html there are several resorts in the peripheral zone, but not in the central zone, which has the stricter regulations.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
halfhand, Was that the footage of her in the black dress or on the snow??

I'm ashamed to watch it. But I do (Ski Sunday as a whole that is). The frustration is that it could be so much better. IMHO a lot of it is in the editing - I'll bet they binned loads of footage from the helicopter to give more time for the Tokyo toilet scene. But it is also in the commissioning. I hope the producer has the good sense to read the constructive comments from the people here who accept that its a popularist slot but have great ideas about what would make it more popular. As for the summer scenes - I'd be very interested to see how big the holes are in Flaine when the snow melts or how big the waterfalls are on all those Cascades runs. But goats - as several people have observed - WTF?!?
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward wrote:
But goats - as several people have observed - WTF?!?
snowHead

It's obvious. The producers of Ski Sunday have looked at snowHeads to see what the British skiing population want. They've disected the posts of the top posters and found Megamum. The step to showing goats on Ski Sunday is a logical path Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, Have noted the capric references related to Megamum and perhaps one day I will be able to work out the connection. Meanwhile, less goats and more snow please, BBC.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What a bunch of miserable sods you lot can be. If you want serious ski racing coverage watch Eurosport, if you want reasonable highlights of the most exciting (i.e. downhill) ski racing watch Channel 4, if you want a light hearted magazine show watch Ski Sunday. It ain't hard.

Oh and before anybody moans about having to pay to get Eurosport - you can afford to go skiing right.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kewhoward, megamum keeps goats!
latest report
 brian
brian
I don't have a problem with them ditching racing since C4 have picked that up and it gives them a chance to bring some brilliant ski stuff to the masses. Note, that's ski stuff not crappy travelogues and feckin goats !

To summarise:

- Tokyo, gash
- Fiona Bruce, fairly gash but at least the snow looked nice rolling eyes
- NZ heli bit, awesome but get some skiers in as well
- Bouquetin/MB tunnel, leave to David Attenborough and Michael Palin
- Schladming, the all too brief actual skiing awesome, the rest gash
- Hokkaido, the bit on the mountain awesome, esp. the night bit, great footage.

How good would an hour programme split between NZ heli (with skiers too) and Japanese powder (with skiers too) have been ? Most uncommonly good indeed, I humbly submit.

A very frustrating wasted opporchancity from the Beeb here, methinks.
latest report
 brian
brian
BBC sport feedback form ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/3701180.stm
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was all rubbish, except the bit with the goats.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in favour of the summer stuff - goats and all. Too many skiers & boarders treat the mountains with little respect - both in terms of the dangers they pose and their fragility - and a better understanding of what's there when the snow isn't can only help.

kewhoward, Flaine is an excellent example. People often complain that some of the pistes there are rarely open - well it's either that or they undertake some serious 'remodelling' of the limestone as has already been done with e.g. Cristal (see here for an excellent report (in french, but with lots of pictures)).
I watched a few muppets going off-piste in Flaine last Christmas - when there was hardly enough snow on the pistes nevermind off - and saw one or two only just avoiding holes big enough to swallow piste-bashers (which apparently happened earlier this season), never mind people Shocked

Enjoyed most of the rest of the prog too (as I've already said somewhat earlier in this thread).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And details on future episodes:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/6159078.stm

Looks like we'll be treated to bits of Graham's summer trip every week... and according to the schedule, some episodes are only 45 minutes long...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richardt, Great Link (though it exceeded my Frenach capabilities a tad). A good reminder that there's no such thing as just off piste - especially in Flaine! Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bump snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems to be a lot more emphasis on the racing this week. Handy really as my Sky+ doesn't appear to have recorded it on C4 this morning.
latest report
I recorded mine on my archos for the journey Skiing in a few weeks snowHead
latest report
It seems as though Ski Sunday is trying to be Top Gear on Snow, doesn't quite work IMHO. Too little skiing, but without the benefits of Clarkson/Hammond/May interaction.
snow conditions
jonm, There wasn't any more emphasis on the racing.

But then the DH didn't get run anyhow, due to too much snow.

They did run the super-combined today, and that was shown on Ski Sunday. C4 shiowed highlights from the season so far, and a little bit of the women's DH.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy