Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI SUNDAY 7PM BBC2 20TH JAN 08

Poster: A snowHead
halfhand wrote:
I missed the whole thing and am looking for a repeat. Twisted Evil

Me too. Forgot about it being on and missed the first half, and had seen the C4 coverage of the downhill. Sad

Checked Catch Up TV on NTL but it's not on there. Confused

Suppose I'll have to watch on the bbc iplayer on my tiny computer screen with rubbish sound and jercky graphics. Mad

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WayneC just checked and it doesnt appear to be available on iplayer Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C wrote:
WayneC just checked and it doesnt appear to be available on iplayer Mad

Perhaps they're saving it up for a Top Gear style "Best of Ski Sunday DVD" or for Dave re-runs. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When's the c4 coverage on, I've only been watching the Eurosport.

Does anyone know if Austrian and Italian tv have any web based live or replay services?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't read every page so sorry if someone posted this already but you can see most of last Sunday's show here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/default.stm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog, The main C4 coverage is around 8AM on Sundays. They also then have several other programs in the early hours of other days - one on snowboarding events, one on nordic events, one more in depth on alpine ski events, but we don't get any of those in Wales, we only get the Sunday one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why this not on the bbc i player i miss this as i was out Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
superal,
Quote:

Films and sport

To offer BBC programmes through BBC iPlayer, the BBC has to acquire the relevant rights from the people who make and appear in them. Some types of programmes, particularly films and sporting events (including football matches, Match of the Day and so forth), won’t be available on BBC iPlayer. This is because the BBC is not permitted to make these programmes available through BBC iPlayer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
superal, it's not on the iplayer but you can watch some of it here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/default.stm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did anyone else wonder if Heston ever did up the strap on the helmet?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
janette wrote:
Did anyone else wonder if Heston ever did up the strap on the helmet?

Heston's head is SO big that he didn't need ot do the strap up as that helmet was wedged right on!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, it was better than last week, but that wouldnt have been hard. Not a lot, but a slight improvement, mainly as there was more snow stuff and less of the travelling train prat. All they need to do now is show the skiing instead of that mouthy bloke presenter telling everyone how good he is at commentating off a giant television, then cut all the non-snow bolox, reduce the time spent boosting presenters ego's by 90% (really, do i need to see some assole demonstrating a toilet - or some other bloke muscling in on a bar ?) and give us some more racing on snow ! Hell, like even x-country skiing would have been more interesting and relevant than some of that stuff..........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
austin7, (and eveyrone else complinaing) the BBC don;t have the the rights to show the racing eny more - CHannel4 have the rights hence the c4 ski coverage, the best the BBC can show is highlights. I do agree about the crap about toilets and japanese culture though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didnt see last weeks but saw this and must say quite enjoyed most of it, yes they could miss bits out as I am sure Michael Palin et al can do a better job of showing us Tokyo but lets be honest, if they showed ski racing for an hour it would not get enough viewers and would then get canned

There is a reason there is very little skiing on TV, it is not very interesting to the masses and has very little minority appeal either, remember that as a member of this forum you are very different from the general public - they do not feel the same way about skiing that you do
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I didn't see last week, but I thought tonight's was excellent. Very enjoyable.
snow report
so what about boarder-x, ski-x, more equipment reviews (that bit was quite watchable), nordic, ski-history, even resort reviews, technique tips, snow awareness................. etc ?

The comment about not having the rights anymore is fair enough.
However...... even when they did, they only showed the highlights anyway - just as they are now on the interactive bit - so not having the rights is clearly irrelevant. Still, at least we can have some of it via C4 and BBC interactive. Very short-sighted of the BBC to lose them tho, dont they realise skiing is more popular now than ever ?

Main gripe is not so much now the loss of racing, as the irrelevant stuff that some 60-70% of the programme was devoted to... such as 10 minutes in japan with 2mins on the boarding.
ski holidays
Quote:

that mouthy bloke presenter

that would be a former Olympian and one of the best Alpine ski racers the UK has produced then?
snow conditions
BGA, that may be so - but that doesnt make him a good commentator ! However deserved his ego is, do we need to see him on the p1ss and the pull ?

The chap on interactive now does it much better - is actually more interested in the skiing than himself - something our olympian seems to lack...........
ski holidays
OK, for the racing heads out there it's pretty much a dead loss, but at least the BBC haven't buried it at the extreme end of the schedule.
In terms of promoting winter sports it knocks Channel4 into touch.
Channel4s skiing coverage is designed to appeal to existing skiing fans only, no one else will see their output and so I can't see how they can ever increase their viewing figures. Seems to me whatever body has the rights to world skiing has grabbed the money and run with no concern for the long term good of their sport.

Ski Sunday seems to be trying to mould itself into top gear on snow to appeal to a very broad based, and not necessarily skiing viewer. My problem with it is all the skiing seems to be between gates and the snowboarding is in powder, all very stereotype. Where are the fat skis. Why does the boarder get to have all the fun? Tonights was the first I've seen so I'll reserve final judgement.

Still, its better than nothing (and Channel4).
latest report
I think the producers have looked at the success of Top Gear and decided to do a sort of Top Gear Lite - blokey presenters, move the central theme of the programme to the periphery, series of vignettes on things related to but not entirely centred on skiing. Even the Fiona Bruce thing is a rip off of 'star in a reasonably priced car'. I grant you Graham Bell isn't Jeremy Clarkson but I don't think he's too bad - plus I doubt he has huge input into the programme content so I would imagine he's just doing what he's told to do. The bonus is of course for those of us really keen on skiing we have the interactive programme afterwards to watch the racing - I reckon if GB was commentating on that he would be much more focussed in on the skiing
snow report
rich, great minds think alike!!
snow report
BGA, thats uncanny, but I got in first so I win Very Happy
ski holidays
Well I don't like it. Spoken to like children who know virtually nothing about skiing and then a show that's a mixture of a nature programme and a crappy travel programme all bundled into a nice sized family viewing package. crap Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Just watched 2 episodes back to back.......I like it.

Considering that the BBC don't have rights to most race action, I thought that the programme was an enjoyable hour.
ski holidays
Well, do we want the general public to think skiing's an elitest sport restricted to rich/famous/royals and men in tight lycra who can go fast?

We're all skiers, pretty good and dedicated skiers a lot of us, and we're not the audience demographic for Ski Sunday, the sofa skier, recreational skier or armchair spectator/interested non-skier is. At least they're promoting skiing to the uninitiated. Agreed the Japan stuff was quite crappy, but C4 is for ski racing, SS is for promoting skiing to the masses.
latest report
Well, I think I fall into the sofa skier/recreational skier bracket. I certainly ski like I'm on a sofa a lot of the time. The new Ski Sunday works for me, but then I watch the racing on C4 as well.

Interestingly, it was on whilst the parents were around for Sunday dinner - and they have no desire to ever go skiing, yet my mum said "good this - I must make sure I watch it next week" - so I think something about the new format must appeal to complete non-skiers, too.
ski holidays
I like the new format although I could have done without the bit where they were looking for those mountain goats (I mean WTF!?). The review of the different snowboards was quite good but they could have gone into more detail about the make, cost etc of the different boards. A similar type of thing comparing fat skis would be good. The Japan bit was ok but I would like to see them give an overview of some resorts I am more likely to go to as well.
latest report
I really enjoyed tonight's episode, I thought the race coverage really captured the atmosphere.
One point i did pick up on was the exercise that Graham Bell set Fiona Bruce involving skiing with her boots undone, whilst being a really good exercise, If I asked a client to do that exercise, I'd risk being sued, as if they fell as a result and injured themselves, I would be liable for instructing them to use their equipment contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations, potentially adversely effecting the release values of their bindings. I still do the exercise myself, but telling someone else to do it in a professional situation is a big no-no.
BBC watch out for the law suits. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have seen a few clips on the Beeb website.

Generally, it looks good.

It is a an easyviewing show for a massmarket audience.

It could do with a sprinkling of humor, though.

And some pointless shots of skibunnies in tight pants.
snow report
Really enjoyed tonight's offering, have told the better half to start saving for my 50th birthday treat to Japan. He'll need a long time to save wink
latest report
After last week I thought I would give it another chance.............. What a load of rubbish! 1 hour programme with 6 mins of ski racing. Mountain goats? Very good but not on ski sunday! and as for Mr Bell, great bloke I am sure but his ski coaching tips need a re vamp. This goes out to the nation, the BBC should be doing better than this.

Poor old Miss Bruce needs to speed up her movements, not "lean" in to her boots! and as for Mr Bell, well how about finding the edges of his skis early in the arc ( bit wishy washy those short turns). To be fair though, he did ski in the world cup and I didnt! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Best thing to do is record and fast forward the bits you don't want to see. That's what I did. must say I've re-run the section with Fiona Bruce several times wink

Didn't watch the snowboarding/Japan bit but did watch everything else.
snow conditions
I caught it by accident last night. Yes kind of Top Gear very light... but remember Top Gear used to be extremely boring with people like Tiff Niddle presenting so maybe it is a formula they can develop.

Big comment though, the snowboard review told me some technical stuff and it is brave to see a "recreational boarder" but I would seriously consider getting someone who is actually a really good boarder for the on snow bits - even if they have to fake it with cuts to the producer.

I suspect it is made on a fraction of the Top Gear budget which is why it is a bit naff. No criticism of the team, they are probably doing the best they can.
snow report
i think there are a couple of points which are important and various people have raised them

1 the BBC would not show an hour of ski racing at a prime time...it is a minority sport [just that we are all part of that minority and we love it does not mean that the average person does]
2 if just 1% of the people who watch this show and do not currently ski or snowboard were to give it a go then the wintersports industry would be a whole lot bigger and the sport a whole lot more popular and then they could justify showing more of it

i have been to schladming night slalom twice and the atmosphere is electric, mind you the only way to do it is on a full hospitality ticket Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
austin7, "such as 10 minutes in japan with 2mins on the boarding."
D'you reckon it might be cheaper to film him in his hotel ensuite toilet than from a helicoptor off piste boarding?

troublemaker, "I could have done without the bit where they were looking for those mountain goats"
Yeah, what a larf, especially the fist punching "YES" when he spots the first one. Very convinced that he cared.

Must admit, I loved the coverage of the off piste boarding - I thought it looked amazing, and, as a skier, I said to Mrs S "watching this actually makes me wanna give it a go."

Shouldn't someone like GB be able to kock considrably more time off the amateurs' slalom after three hours skiing? Last week Heston didn't look too special after the first run, but knocked less than two seconds off on his second run. I reckon if I did the same slalom run twice in a row, without any coaching between, I'd probably achieve that, just cos I know what to expect the second time.
latest report
I'm a snowboarder and QED hate skiing...only kidding I even have skier friends. Anyway I've watched both and find it entertaining. Not stimulating or informative about winter sports but not a bad way to spend an hour on sunday evening (I can think of others but that would still leave 55 mins LOL).
Ed Leigh has a good way of bringing it to the masses and that Bell fella is OK too. I'm a simple minded fella who ashamedly gets a chuckle from downhill crashes (as long as there's no serious injury) but can still appreciate the skill and guts these guys have. I would like to see a little coverage of TTR/World X games events for snowboarding or even freestyle skiing as this could pull in a larger curious audience as did the winter olympic coverage in '06.

Something that did annoy me alot was the snowboard test. Why no names? I could identify a couple of the boards from magazine advertising but I doubt if many other people could. Can you imagine Top Gear...

JC: Here's a really good car with four wheels and it can go really fast
RH: But mine is better as it handles quicker round corners
JM: And mine is uncomfortable, slow and really not good
All: But we can't/won't tell you names of them. Good night!

Titles......

AAAAArrrrrgggghhhh Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Joe

PS I WANT TO GO TO JAPAN (shout over)
latest report
I have to confess I haven't seen the first two episodes yet as I was in Fline last week and spent yesterday in bed with a chest infection. However, I have recorded them and will look forward to seeing them.

What I do know is that I will always love Ski Sunday. I enjoyed the format last year and I'm sure I will enjoy the new format. Ski Sunday was part of the magic when I was learning to ski 23 years ago.

What I will say of the new format though is that a couple of my friends who don't do any form of winter sports and are never likely to, are tuning into watching it and loving it.

If this keeps Ski Sunday on our screens I'm all for it!!
snow report
I can cope with the japan cultural bit. Even the travelling and toilet review - those are all things you would experience if you went there. The thing that really got my goat*, was the goats. What's the connection to 'ski sunday' there? Ok, he was in the alps, but he was there in the summer. The most relevent things in that feature were throw away comments that: (i) the goats shelter in gullies in the winter; (ii) you shouldn't chase animals in the winter cos they'll use up their energy; and (iii) some of the french resorts are in a big national park. Frankly, he might as well have been on a beach.

I'd have replaced that bit with snow reports and/or some sort of resort review.

But... I'll watch it the week after next (next week I should be enjoying some apres ski) and I suspect most of you will too

*Sorry. Couldn't resist.
ski holidays
Personally I rather enjoyed last weeks episode. However this weeks episode was dire IMHO.

I dont like the whole going skiing in alternative area, where no one will go. When he was walking around Tokyo I was so bored screaming for snow.

The trial of different snowboards i found boring, but then Im not a boarder.

The summer bit was alright. I wish could they show a little bit of mountaining biking, via ferrata and kayaking/white water rafting. I know its a ski programme but it is interesting and relevant to the mountains.

There is too much non skiing activities. I wish he could have told us more about the ski area of Schladming rather than working behind a bar.

Fiona Bruce skiing was enjoyable, but I wish they spent a bit more time on tips to improve technique.

Did anyone see the avalanche programme afterwards? I did and thought it was rather good.

Ski Sunday definatly needs a resort review section.
snow report
Well, I've read through five pages so I might as well add my 2p! Smile

I will turn the telly over to watch anything even barely alluding to skiing. And I have to aggree that ski Sunday is no longer a racing program, butif teh BBC have lost the rights then there are two options. 1 either fill the program up with other stuff , or 2 dont show anything. I plump for option 1 and make teh dinner during the bits of padding that I'm not interested in (a summer walking bit? wtf??) but then when my tea (dinner - depending where you live) is ready then I can plonk myself down and press the red/blue buttons to get some more snow on the telly.

I liked the suggestion of changing the padding for coverage of ski-cross and x-games type stuff, but could you imagine how many pages there would be on here then about the coverage of crashes!! Shocked
anyway, whatever snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy