Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche arret in Chamonix to be equipped all winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w,
Quote:

I'm astonished at the suggestion that some people ski down the arret - how does that work?

A bit more that just the arette!! Check out this thread from last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6878 Skullie - and some of the youtube vids in the thread. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, I saw that at the time and was duly impressed. I know people ski mad things, but I just didn't see how they could ski down the bit people walk down - is it a different route? Or do they ski it before there are any ropes?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visibility was pretty limited when I did it, so never got the scary sense of a 3000m drop. I found the bit to the side of the seracs more challenging.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, From >Phil Ingle's website<
Quote:
To ski it in good style you have to start from the tunnel and take the roped arête on its left hand side, this does cause quite a stir as all the tourists on the Midi cant quite believe what they are seeing and they swarm across to have a look
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers, yes, that would be quite a sight.... the day I was up there with my video camera nobody obliged!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, now that's a ski-day!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hobbesmonster wrote:
This sport and the mountains provide one of the last great freedoms out there and while we should encourage warnings to be posted and education to be improved, we should all resist any restrictions or every lift could become a Valluga 2 (and boy, does that one make me angry!)

I completely agree with you! Chamonix is different to all other skiing resorts in the world because of the number of extremely good skiers and alpinists that live here. Many of us are perfectly happy to ski the ridge (when the conditions are good enough, or when the ropes are taken down for the season) or sliding it down without crampons just holding on to the ropes - believe me, this is by far NOT the most extreme things done daily in Chamonix.

There is a point in not equipping the ridge with ropes too early in the season when the glacier is still very open, because it holds a lot of skiers back from going there. Only someone experienced enough, and perfectly sure about his capabilities, would get the idea to ski the ridge. Normally there is no risk of having non-experts following such tracks.
When the ropes are up, the access to Vallee Blanche is easier and for sure more obvious. The skiing is slightly less dangerous when the crevasses are well filled in, but the runs still demand perfect control over your skies in all sorts of snow, and even then the Vallee Blanche is potentially hazardous (even if skiing with a guide)! Everyone must evaluate his own capabilities, the information and the warnings are up there, it is up to everyone to read them!

In my opinion we must resist the culture of non-accepting risks and not taking responsibility for our own actions and decisions (a culture most wide spread in the US, but more and more in Europe too, which the French have done well in rejecting). If people have the attitude that someone else will always tell them what to do and where to go, we will bring up a new generation of individuals incapable of thinking for them selves, not taking the responsibility to inform them selves about risks, and thus precludes their own and others freedom.

A General rule: In Chamonix we do not "follow tracks"! There are speed skiers, ski base jumpers, and simply amazingly good skiers out there =).

/Eva
More info on Skiing Vallee Blanche with a guide
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

A General rule: In Chamonix we do not "follow tracks"! There are speed skiers, ski base jumpers, and simply amazingly good skiers out there =).

Get you rolling eyes

Generally agree with what you say mind Smile

Layne
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
plectrum wrote:
Preventing untrianed amatuer's on this route without a guide is very difficult becuase of Chamonix's history as an AT resort. It would be potentially harsh and unfair to bring in a rule such as that in St Anton on the Valluga descent i.e. only allowed on the route with a certified guide.

Thats not actually true. If you want to travel in the lift (Valluga2) with your skis you will only be able to with a certified guide.

However, you can hike up and ski without a problem, that's why you see so many folk doing just that Very Happy

There is another way to get to the top of the Valluga with your skis.
Not know the rule, get in the lift with a group who has a guide.

I know it works, I accidently did it out of ignorance.
When the guide and his party began their descent and I was left at the top with my skis, I caused quite a commotion.
It took quite a bit to convince them that I had no intention to ski down, I just wanted to admire the view and take the photos.

I did ski to Zurs a few years later but with guided party and without my bulky camera.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
plectrum wrote:
Preventing untrianed amatuer's on this route without a guide is very difficult becuase of Chamonix's history as an AT resort. It would be potentially harsh and unfair to bring in a rule such as that in St Anton on the Valluga descent i.e. only allowed on the route with a certified guide.

Thats not actually true. If you want to travel in the lift (Valluga2) with your skis you will only be able to with a certified guide.

However, you can hike up and ski without a problem, that's why you see so many folk doing just that Very Happy

When the guide and his party began their descent and I was left at the top with my skis, I caused quite a commotion.
It took quite a bit to convince them that I had no intention to ski down, I just wanted to admire the view and take the photos.

I did ski to Zurs a few years later but with guided party and without my bulky camera.

I skied the Vallee Blanche with a guide many years later.
It cost me a set of ski pants, I couldn't get the brown stain out after walking down the arete. (Only kidding, but it sure was scary)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
plectrum wrote:

It cost me a set of ski pants, I couldn't get the brown stain out after walking down the arete. (Only kidding, but it sure was scary)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
plectrum wrote:

I did ski to Zurs a few years later but with a guided party and without my bulky camera.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
heard you first time! NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy