Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - First Red Run?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.
I spent my first sking experience learning for a week in Tignes in feb 2007. By the end of the week I was able to handle all the greens I tried and the few Blues I tried (Diebold, Carline and a couple of others I cant remember).

I am going for a week in February this year and would like to make it onto my first Red run. Is this achievable for my second week skiing?

What are the difficult Blues or the East Reds in the Espace killey region that I shoult try? I dont want to hit a Red and regret it as it is one of the difficult ones.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tspill, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I don't know Tignes personally - I'm sure others will be along to help.

I don't think there's a hard fast rule about what colour slopes you should attempt; it will depend on your own confidence and ability. What I would say is that there's a difference between "handling" a slope - getting to the bottom some how or other - and actually "skiing" it. The better you can "ski" blue slopes, the better you'll be able to "handle" reds! Lessons are the key.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red run on 2nd week most definitely. You'll find it much easier now and improve quickly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tspill, if you go up the Toviere gondola you've a choice of blue or red runs towards Val d'Isere. It's a big open area of skiing with plenty of choice of gradient, so I think you'd find that a good warm-up. Returning to Tignes Val Claret you have a long blue run as an option.

For a more testing descent, and for a longer adventure, take the run to La Daille (the village outside Val d'Isere), but this has stetches with significantly more gradient.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you sideslip?

It may not be graceful, but it saves your ass in savity, in case you do end up on a section you find awkward.

With that assumption, you can go 'explore' where your limits are without endangering yourself Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tspill, welcome to Snowheads. Don't forget that the quality of the snow makes a huge difference to the difficulty of runs. A blue run with nasty snow (thin boilerplate, or chopped up lumps, or patches of ice) can be more difficult than a red, or even a black, run with nice smooth pisted stuff.

Your best guide is your instructor - a good instructor will find you challenging places and show you how to ski them, as opposed to hobbling down them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cyclamen from the Aiguille Percée back towards Tignes is invariably in fantastic condition. It's got a bit of a steep entrance but is nice and wide and not too long.
Glacier at the top of the Grand Motte is a very easy red as is the Double M although the latter is very long. While you're on the Grand Motte, find out if Leisse has been bashed. If it has, it's the easiest black run you'll ever ski, so you could bag that too Very Happy

Tignes is a fantastic place to ski.

I didn't consider myself up to a red run as a second-week skier in la Plagne in 2003, but I ended up being coaxed down Hari-Kiri and, later in the week, Kamikaze. If you're a confident skier or someone that likes a challenge, both of the red runs I've mentioned above are doable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was taken down a red on my 3rd day of proper skiing. It did my confidence the power of good and have never lost that confidence and I was able to ski a black in my second week. If you feel ready on the second day or early on the week and you can link all your parralel turns and not just take a turn at a time, you will find you will probably be able tackle the majority of reds by the end of the week.

Admitadly Im sure the red i first tried wasn't as hard as the majority in of the Espace Killy.

I pressume you progressed quickly, if so I think this would be highly beneficial to you. If you don't like make parralel turns on it, just sideslip down. You can sideslip down any piste which is beyonf your ability.

Try it in morning when the pistes aren't as hardpacked, if you have lessons in the morning. Take it as earlier in the day as you can, so after lunchtime.

Good luck, Im sure you'll be whizzing down reds by the end of the week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tspill, Red in second week is certainly acheivable. I tackled reds in my second week (in Serre Che) and thou a few years back now, I'd like to think that I 'skied' them rather than just got down them. If nothing else, having got stuck into some Reds it'll make the Blues feel easier!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy