Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for magic_hat's resort report:

Les Contamines (January 2008)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Easy to get to and from Hauteluce on the opposite side.

I suspect that it was not Hauteluce, which magic-hat skied to, but Belleville, which is at the top of the Hauteluce Valley. Hauteluce is a village a good few miles down the valley. Absolutely definitely not skiable to from Les Contamines, though there are some buses. Hauteluce itself is part of the Espace Diamant Skiing (Les Saisies, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Praz sur Arly, Crest Voland).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:
Easy to get to and from Hauteluce on the opposite side.

I suspect that it was not Hauteluce, which magic-hat skied to, but Belleville, which is at the top of the Hauteluce Valley. Hauteluce is a village a good few miles down the valley. Absolutely definitely not skiable to from Les Contamines, though there are some buses. Hauteluce itself is part of the Espace Diamant Skiing (Les Saisies, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Praz sur Arly, Crest Voland).

Apologies, you are correct.

The domain is marked as "Les Contamines-Montjoie/Hauteluce" and when you go from one side to the other you follow signs marked "Direction Hauteluce". The village at the bottom is Belleville", but the sector you are skiing in is marked "Hauteluce". Thats what i meant.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Have edited report accordingly Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To add to a great report.
I was there from the 29th Dec till the 8th Jan and must echo Magic hats review, a lovely traditional French village.
We both had lessons from ESF intermediate for me and beginners for my SO; Jean Louie was excellent and pointed out his farm as we skied over his ground (nice touch).
Some bits to add to an excellent review if you stay in the village a car makes life a lot easer, there is a bus but it is E2.20 each way unless you buy a 6 day ticket. The road up to the village from St Gervais is well cleared and not too twisty.
The Ski run down to the car parks can get very icy.
Snow boarders seem well cared for with a couple of snow parks and a ½ pipe, and the lack of button lifts, though some of the greens and even bits of the blues are pretty flat.
I am not one for eating meals o the slopes more of a snacker so cant add to Magic’s othorative comments however the creperie at the Etape station provides an excellent Vin Chaud, we found the Marmotte restaurant (new one on river side of main village road) very good I had bunny rabbit for the first time and was impressed.
Snow wise we had a very good start with some fresh snow but high winds towards the end of the first week made life a challenge and closed most of the mountain. Once the New years crowds had died down there was never any real ques for the lifts.
For days out if you have time and a car I would recommend the St Gervais Thermes E50 for a massage and use of the hammam more therapys if you chose as its a proper heath spa. Megeve is good for a couple of hours Range Rover spotting and Chamonix is only 35 mins away. St Gervais though pretty is a bit of a disappointment in terms of things to do, the Thermes is actually in La Fayet.
For self catering there are 2 good small supermarkets a couple of Boulanger’s, a Pharmacy and butchers. There is also a very good trad morning market on Tuesdays in the village car park (don’t leave your car there on Monday night). The walk up the gorge to the little church of Notre Dame is delightful as well.

In all I would also recommend the resort, either the village or the accommodation in Hammel du Lay that’s the new part at the lift station, only a 10 min walk if you wish to go into the village in the evening. If you are there for the festive season the village council organises a good party on New Years Eve with entertainers in the evening and a disco till LATE
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree about the comments about the car... I stayed in the village and drove to the car park at the foot of the lifts each day (about a three minute drive). It was easy, convienient and cut out all the clumping about in ski boots waiting for buses!

Didn't know how much the bus cost, as our landlady told us on the first afternoon to take the car - so we did.

Was tempted to take the bus on the Saturday when i saw how much snow had fallen (my experiences of driving in snow and ice in Britain are not great!) but the landlady again assured me that with snow tyres I would be absolutely fine. I decided to risk it, and was stunned by how easy it was to drive! The tyres gripped the snow as if i was just driving on normal tarmac.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy