Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs via Eurostar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4 with two kids with (13 and 9) travelling to Arcs 1950 by Eurostar, arriving very early Saturday morning (6.30). The plan was to get onto the furnicular to 1600 and then take the shuttle to 1950 (already got lift passes). However, I have contacted the hotel and they recommend taking a bus. Also, looking at the website, it looks as though the furnicular doesn't start to operate until 8.30 so we'd have a bit of hanging around. I would appreciate your thoughts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ginslinger, I was there last saurday. The funicular starts at 7:30 on a saturday amd operates every 20 mintes
http://www.lesarcs.com/Funicular.

There is a shuttle bus (navette) behind the railway station at 7:20, stand 15. Come off the funicular at the Arcs 1600 (terminus) and turn left for the shuttle to 1950 - make sure you get on the right bus.

If you're intersested I have put up a trip report on my day at Les Arcs and it covers some of the practical stuff
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34681

Welcome to snowHeads and have a great trip
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally, I'd get a taxi - from memory a normal sized cab is about 65E. I use http://taxi.sts.free.fr/ who have been very good at actually finding our apartments for us to boot when the directions turn out to be a little cryptic! These guys have a good rep also: http://www.aarthur.fr/ although I haven't used them yet. aj xx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ginslinger,
welcome to snowHead

The advantage of the taxi is that when you get to 1950 they will take you into the underground car-park, where the HMC / or Radisson staff are waiting to direct you to reception for whichever block you are in - the navette from the top of the funicular will drop you on the road outside and you will have to work out which way into the village works best for you - not always obvious. And if you choose to go to street level because you think it will be easier to spot where you are headed, then you are dragging cases and gear through the snow.

holidayloverxx is right about the navette from station forecourt to funicular, its a long old stroll down the platforms, but more importantly, over the bridge at the end, with no lifts for luggage, and you can't take the trolley cart that far. But I have always found its timings to be pretty random, so we tend to walk it.
Also, yes, when you get to the 1600 terminus, there are two buses, one for 2000 / 1950, an one for the 1800s. They go in opposite directions! But as my mother-in-law always used to say "you've got a tongue in your head..."

There is a bus from the railway station up to 1950 all the way, but is not a freebie (€12pp, iirc) and will also drop you on the main road running past the village.

We have used AArthur before, he's OK, you can pre-book and as said above, its about €65, but there are plenty of taxis around on the ranks outside the station at that time of day, and will all charge you much of a muchness.

If you'd like to grab a croissant and coffee before making the trip up the hill, there is a cafe just across the main street from the station that appears to be open 24x7. Alternatively you can have a gourmet breakfast in 1950 - last week a friend of mine did just that - "as much as you can eat" for €18, in the Brasserie1950. He seemed to like it... but there are other options there too that don't eat quite so much into the holiday budget on day 1.

Which block are you staying in? - as an owner there I may be able to give you some guidance about best way into the complex if you'd like to take the funicular.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW, I didn't see any cafes open at 6:30, but you can get coffee and pattisserie at Relay in the station. I asked the navette driver what time the service starts and he told me 7:20 to connect with the first funicular.

Ginslinger, the navette is free and has a trailer for your luggage, you can buy your lift pass at the funicular (if you haven't got it already) and then the ride is included. If you haven't got a pass you will have to pay for the funicular, so financially, a taxi might be a good option (if budget is not a problem, I'd go for the taxi)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a taxi (€63 with aarthur).

holidayloverxx - great trip report.

JimW - I am staying at Radisson. No idea which block - am I supposed to know before I get there or is there a central reception?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ginslinger, there are at least two receptions - Manoir Savoie and Auberge de Jerome both have their own, and I would expect Chalet de Lys and Sources de Marie also, although I confess, have never been in those two facilities.

If there is no indication on your tickets where you are, it might be a good idea to ring and ask - it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but just makes that initial 20 minutes more pleasant!

holidayloverxx, the place directly opposite the main entrance of the station, across the zebra crossing on the main road, has always been available to us for early morning stop offs - but maybe 6:30 is a little early! I think we tended to use it after first funicular down, so that would be about 7:30, which I suppose is more likely...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy