Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Softening the flex on a Nordica SM8?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend got a pair of Nordica Olympia SM8 boots last season. The fit is good but she has difficulty in flexing them. Is there any way of making some modifications to make them a bit softer?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Firstly have you checked the flex control on the back of the boot is set to 'soft'? If yes it is possible to further modify the shell to make them softer (this involves cutting sections of plastic out of the boot), but this will reduce the natural rebound of the boot.
Have you checked the amount of ankle flexion your girlfriend has? It is very common now that women's achilles tendons are too toght to flex a skiboot through the 10° that is required for it to function properly. A common indicator of this is pain/burning sensation under the ball of the feet. Have a think about that and let us know the outcome....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, there doesn't seem to be a flex control on the back of the boot. I hadn't thought to check her flexion - it might take some courage for me to suggest the problem is with her ankles rather than the boots! She hasn't complained of a burning sensation, and is not a regular wearer of high heels. She's not very heavy (about 8.5 stone IIRC) and doesn't ski very dynamically (at least in part because she can't flex the boots). How complicated would it be to cut sections out of the boot? DIY or a job for a zookeeper?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Bootfitter definitely. It's still worth braving it and checking ankle flex, the problem can exist without the pain in the forefoot and high heels aren't the only cause.
You're right, there's no flex control on the SM8. However, is there a bolt positioned just above the join of the clog and cuff of the boot on the back (i.e. just above the back of the ankle)? If there is it is often an allen key fitting, I don't have a pair of SM8s to hand to check this out myself. If there is said screw/fitting, then removing this will act to soften the boots by making the clog and cuff independent.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
However, is there a bolt positioned just above the join of the clog and cuff of the boot on the back (i.e. just above the back of the ankle)?

No, there is a small plastic cover there with a Nordica logo which is in the location where a flex control mechanism would be located.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Right, the only real option for softening the flex is to get a bootfitter to have a crack at the shell. However, the SM8 is a fairly soft boot already and before you take the step of irreversibly softening the shell I would have a good look at ankle flex. We've put some pretty petite ladies in the SM8 (of all abilities) and I don't recall ever having to soften a shell. Ideally you and your girlfriend need to spend a bit of time in the company of a decent bootfitter.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, it was CEM who fitted them for Jane and she's very happy with the fit and the footbed. I think I should arrange for her boots and her ankles to make a repeat visit so Colin can decide whether she needs to flex more or if the boots be softened a little.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or you could go skiing with her at room temperature - actually spring temps should make a significant difference
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I wasn't suggesting a poor fitting - I'd guessed you'd have been to Colin or Lockwoods for the boots. Get thee back to Bicester...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
May i suggest the flex maybe too soft therefore she's hyper extending and exposing lack of ROM? A heel lift is a simple solution, can be removed and will enable a better appraisal. Very few women possess the ability/physiology to correctly use a ski boot as it is designed. Getting the hips forward without firing 'tibialius anterior' is rare and becoming more of an issue. IMO.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Since when has this been an EPIC post?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you satisfy my curiosity please? Why would a lack of ankle flex make the balls of your feet burn?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, Yes. With a tight achilles tendon and lack of flexion, when in ski boots the fulcrum effect will put stress on the tendons running along the base of your foot. This manifests itself as a burning sensation in the balls of your feet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy