Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB plagiarise yet again!

Poster: A snowHead
plectrum, you too, bon voyage.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The news coverage on the Ski Club site and on snowHeads is interesting, but way down the list of my reasons for going to the sites/giving money.

Not at all convinced that going out generating news stories would increase any income to either.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:
I am still not sure David has understood that the issue about hotlinks was that not only was he appropriating the image without permission, but was also costing the owners money by using their server bandwidth to display the image.

... but it's important to recognise that image holders can easily (as I understand it) block hot-linking. If a site has concerns about potential misuse of its bandwidth, why would it not block hot-linking? No one's answered this yet.

It's not actually really feasible to block hot linking, I've pointed this out to you many times over several years and so have other people, just give it up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You say it isn't feasible, yet many websites prove that they've found it perfectly feasible.

Drop the bossy tones, please.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
You say it isn't feasible, yet many websites prove that they've found it perfectly feasible.

No they don't, it's easy and simple to circumvent and offers no protection against copyright theft.

Drop the lectures on things you know nothing about please.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:
The news coverage on the Ski Club site and on snowHeads is interesting, but way down the list of my reasons for going to the sites/giving money.

Not at all convinced that going out generating news stories would increase any income to either.

Not the point I'm making... a staff of EIGHT allegedly in the new media dept! Strewth, someone's gotta come up with some original content. If I was running it I'd make it a pre-requisite that the club should lead opinion rather than just crib it from elsewhere. It isn't too difficult to do.... almost as easy as regurgitating from other sites.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, Agreed, with a staff of eight surely they should be the world leader in wintersports new media news provision, OTOH nice work if you can get it wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

No they don't, it's easy and simple to circumvent and offers no protection against copyright theft.

Of course they do. And while it is not all that difficult to circumvent, it is non-trivial, and rather pointless to do so.

And of course it offers no protection against copyright theft. Why on earth would it?

All it offers protection against is what is commonly called "bandwith theft".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, yes, world leaders. It's easy... pick up on a news story (these days they come thick & fast via news feeds), pick up the phone to whoever (resort tourist office, resort police, resort-based holiday reps, anyone) and investigate further. Write it up and post it to the site. They seem to have the time and resource to send "news crews" on behalf of SkiTV (that virtually nobody watches I'll wager) yet ignore the most popular media. We wouldn't be discussing their alleged plagiarism (and my impending streak!) if they were doing a proper news gathering job.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be nice to have some confirmation of that alleged staff of eight... suspect that will turn out to be rather less if you look at the total whole time equivalents and other roles they have. And even then - some may be web/techy -gnomes rather than content generators, let alone news-content generators.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, yes, but it only takes half a man day (or is it person day?) to bang out a good number of news stories. It's a habit they could esily get into and be seen as leading the snow news rather than second-handing it. Better for SEO purposes too as other sites will want to link to SCGB's up-to-the minute original news stuff. When you come to think about it, SCGB has a perfect news-feed service in the reps out in resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does the new media department include ad sales? If so, that'd take up most of the 8 people!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, AFAIK, resort ads are outsourced to something called the Snowsports Consultancy, another ad selling agency is used for national consumer advertising, and some stuff is handled in house like sponsorship deals.

Bottom line... if they have time to trawl other sites and link to news stories, they have time to create some original content. I'd certainly be tasking reps with sending pics of conditions and anything remotely newsworthy (celebs, weird gear, members "enjoying" themselves etc etc). This isn't rocket science and SCGB has access to the resources to make it happen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, AFAIK, the reps ski all day, that's what they're there for.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, me too but I manage to take a few pics along the way. All they've got to do is email them back with a few words! Takes little time.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, and stick a rake up their ring pieces and they can groom the pistes as well! rolling eyes
ski holidays
PJSki, absolutely, great idea. And, while you're at it, hand them a P11D so they can cough up for their benefits in kind like normal tax payers do!
latest report
Bode Swiller, ha ha ha, now we get to the truth, you're jealous because they get a bit of subsidised skiing. I think we should leave tax advice to the professional though, don't you?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, oh come on, what's the POINT of all this aggressive advice to the Ski Club about what they should be doing? If you're a member, suggest it to them directly. If not, why do you care? There is little interest, it seems to me, in what a load of agenda-bound snowHeads think about the Ski Club operation. Just let the Ski Club get on with doing what they want to do, and leave 'em alone. However, to get back on topic, I quite agree that they shouldn't plagiarise snowHeads material.
latest report
PJSki, I know my way round personal tax well enough. I'm betting that none of the reps record their freebies for tax purposes and I'm also betting that the club doesn't do it on their behalf either. Sure, some will argue that they "work" for it but that cuts no ice with the tax man if I know the tax man. There's a can-o-worms in there.

Plagiarism, tax evasion... the list grows.
snow report
OK, Bode Swiller seems to care how the Ski Club is run. Does anyone else?
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Bode Swiller, oh come on, what's the POINT of all this aggressive advice to the Ski Club about what they should be doing? If you're a member, suggest it to them directly. If not, why do you care? There is little interest, it seems to me, in what a load of agenda-bound snowHeads think about the Ski Club operation. Just let the Ski Club get on with doing what they want to do, and leave 'em alone. However, to get back on topic, I quite agree that they shouldn't plagiarise snowHeads material.
Just trying to be helpful
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, who's evading tax?
snow report
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Just trying to be helpful

rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, not so much that I care, it's just that here they are on a public forum being accused of plagiarism (I was sort of joking about tax evasion) and I've just floated a few ideas as to how they can be seen otherwise.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I am sure the club will appreciate your efforts. With friends like you who needs enemas!

PJSki wrote:
Bode Swiller, and stick a rake up their ring pieces and they can groom the pistes as well! rolling eyes
- well obviously you couldn't do that, but I am sure the female reps can multitask...
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
Bode Swiller, who's evading tax?
I don't know if anyone's evading tax. I'm prepared to bet, however, that the benefits in kind received by reps (accommodation, lift passes, anything else) aren't recorded on P11Ds as perhaps they should be. If there are expenses on the other side of the equation they should be recorded too. Net result may be that no tax is due but that doesn't make it right.
latest report
Bode Swiller, As an employer - I believe those only count for a P11D if they actually are employees...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, yes, but (as seems to be the consensus on here) it's not the most heinous crime in the world, they have apologised and made amends (sort of) and it seems anyway as though others, snowHeads included, are not without guilt themselves. So I really don't think that suggestions that reps should become cub reporters and that they and/or the Club are evading tax, are either appropriate, relevant or helpful.

In other words, lay off my bloody Club, will ya?! Evil or Very Mad wink wink
snow report
Bode Swiller, weasel words to get out of libel? Anyway, they held their hands up to the other thing, said sorry and all that. But I'm starting to feel that you have some grudge against them.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
Bode Swiller, As an employer - I believe those only count for a P11D if they actually are employees...
Quite so, and they are patently not employees. Oddly enough, another snowHead (who hasn't posted on here for a long time) who is a Ski Club member and who has professional knowledge of tax law, has just PM'd me to this effect. Not sure why he chose me, but still...

Bode Swiller, why are you axe-grinding? Is there something we should know?
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
The tax man might consider that they are employed. Otherwise, they should be declaring such things on their own tax returns. One way or the other some would argue it should be assessed. (I couldn't give a monkeys but it's fun to raise the subject)
latest report
Bode Swiller, you think it's 'fun' to speculate about the tax status of Ski Club reps? You should get out more.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I too have just received a PM explaining why he is axe grinding. Full Internet disclosure is, i'm told, in the works but not quite ready. He's done himself up like a kipper by all accounts. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

But I'm starting to feel that you have some grudge against them

Quote:

why are you axe-grinding?

Hurtle, PJSki, SCGB-baiting is a fun sport. As soon as anyone says anything remotely naughty about the club the faithful come to the rescue and forum mayhem ensues. I didn't start this thread or contribute the bones of it, nor did I start the "Reps off-piste" one. If the club engenders this kind of publicity they only have one direction to look in... inwards.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, ok - let's see how it would work...

Dear Mr Murdoch.

I have an absolutely fascinating story of how I skied today with 7 other brits today in Resort X. We had a good time. The food here is nice. I have taken some nice photos of a chap I skied with called Jeremy. I have now been here for 10 days and therefore much better placed to access all the exciting changes going on here than the local media who have their own website which you have access to, and obviously none of your journalists would want to regurgitate the press releases from the resort (even though they received free accommodation here last year). My writing style reflects the way the Ski Club replaced the mountain and avalanche awareness section of the rep's course with a creative writing element. So would you kindly make the club happy by republishing my ski club blog in your paper?

A Rep.

Perhaps there might be a few tiny flaws in your plan for World Domination of the Mejah by the club? Toofy Grin
latest report
PJSki, Hurtle, I have to say I quite enjoy Mr Swiller's take on the club. I don't think the club needs defending except when there are blatant untruths. And if we can spin this out for another 8 pages....
latest report
stoatsbrother, i think swiller is on to something with the reporting of silly hats. The Beeb, et al will be kicking their doors in to get that stuff.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

But I'm starting to feel that you have some grudge against them

Quote:

why are you axe-grinding?

Hurtle, PJSki, SCGB-baiting is a fun sport. As soon as anyone says anything remotely naughty about the club the faithful come to the rescue and forum mayhem ensues. I didn't start this thread or contribute the bones of it, nor did I start the "Reps off-piste" one. If the club engenders this kind of publicity they only have one direction to look in... inwards.

I'm perfectly happy with most of the content of both these threads, and I certainly don't consider myself one of 'the faithful' (I'm happy enough with my membership of the Ski Club, but I don't owe them any particular loyalty, I don't get emotional about people criticising them, and I criticise them myself). However, there's a difference between, on the one hand, legitimate criticism which is of specific relevance to snowHeads (this thread) or of general relevance to all skiers (the off-piste thread) and, on the other, continually taking silly pops at them. But hey, if you enjoy it, carry on!
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
Hurtle, I too have just received a PM explaining why he is axe grinding. Full Internet disclosure is, i'm told, in the works but not quite ready. He's done himself up like a kipper by all accounts. Little Angel

send it too Me too, I'm feeling left out out now Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy